Grilling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Grilling

• lid on

Votes: 9 75.0%
  • lid of

Votes: 3 25.0%

• Total voters
almost always lid on.....provides more even heat, means quicker cooking, and less dry food

i know you can get good results without a lid (and sometimes a lid isnt an option), but i really dont see any benefit to cooking with the lid off, while your food can often benefit by having the lid on

also a weber owner....i actually plan on making pizza on the grill tonight

...has anyone told you today that you're a smart guy, Andy? Or maybe I'm just really dense...lol...but really, that didn't occur to me that uncle chuck didn't let the lighter fluid burn off first. Now everyone knows my dirty little secret :cool: ...grilling isn't my strong suit

moll, buy your uncle a chimney starter!

while using lighter fluid is fun, i can almost always taste it on the food that's cooked over coals started with it.

oh, and never ever use anything except lighter fluid, if you must. gas, kerosene, and other combustibles leave a really disgusting taste that never burns off. you end up wasting any food cooked over coals started with them.

but again, a chimney starte is the way to go.

Thank you buckytom. I actually bought one of those "chimney starters" a couple of years ago when I was going to go with organic coals. But I couldn't get it to work well...maybe it was the coals. I really didn't try very hard. I know where it is but completely forgot about it until now so thanks for the reminder! I feel some grillin' comin' on...uh huh...uh huh...just in time for the Fourth of July

I love this DC community :heart:

No, I'm not kidding:

This is a quote found on Charcoal Grill Warnings - Carcinogens & Briquettes

"Consumers can avoid exposure to these potentially harmful additives by sticking with so-called natural charcoal brands. Noram de Mexico's Sierra Madre 100 percent oak hardwood charcoal contains no coal, oil, limestone, starch, sawdust or petroleum products and, to boot, is certified by the Rainforest Alliance's SmartWood program as sustainably harvested. The product is available at select Sam's Clubs across the U.S. Other manufacturers of all natural charcoal include Greenlink and Lazzari, both of which can be found at natural food outlets across North America.

CONTACTS: Rainforest Alliance SmartWood Program, Sustainable Forestry: Introduction Greenlink Charcoal, www.greenlinkcharcoal.com; Lazzari, Welcome to Lazzari "

I bought mine a couple of years ago at Whole Foods.

try adding a small amount of cooking oil to the newspaper when you light your chimney....will help it to burn longer, and better ignite the coals....learned that little trick from alton brown

organic coals? not sure what that is, but natural chunk charcoal (basically just burned wood) is great stuff, all natural, and wont leave a nasty taste on your food....however, at the moment, im an LP guy

ok, so, the answer is no. it's not sold as organic, just free from some crap, and it's sustainably harvested.

i thought the people who try to push the organic agenda were smoking home grown there for a second.

that's interesting stuff, but henry ford must be turning over in his garve after that frist article. pollute the air, gimme a break. one tiny grill fire adds a ridiculously negligible amount of pollution.

still, i wouldn't mind using clean charcoal.

This is a quote found on Charcoal Grill Warnings - Carcinogens & Briquettes

"Consumers can avoid exposure to these potentially harmful additives by sticking with so-called natural charcoal brands. Noram de Mexico's Sierra Madre 100 percent oak hardwood charcoal contains no coal, oil, limestone, starch, sawdust or petroleum products and, to boot, is certified by the Rainforest Alliance's SmartWood program as sustainably harvested. The product is available at select Sam's Clubs across the U.S. Other manufacturers of all natural charcoal include Greenlink and Lazzari, both of which can be found at natural food outlets across North America.

CONTACTS: Rainforest Alliance SmartWood Program, Sustainable Forestry: Introduction Greenlink Charcoal, www.greenlinkcharcoal.com; Lazzari, Welcome to Lazzari "

I bought mine a couple of years ago at Whole Foods.

No, it's not just "free from some crap". It's 100% oak hardwood charcoal that is free of coal, oil, limestone, starch, sawdust, and petroleum products. And we're not just talking about "one tiny grill". There are a few more grillers on this planet than "one"...but I'm not going there...all the grill lovers will hate me and frankly, I'm not exactly a green fanatic (although I do care).

i think you missed my point a bit. it's clean and certified stuff, yes, but it's not labelled organic. i was interested because of the labelling aspect.

and of course there's a lot of grillers out there. but the sum total of all of their smoke does not equal a drop in the bucket of worldwide air pollution. only an extremist would count grill smoke as adding to the problem.

i respect the concern, but there's better fish to fry as far as air pollution goes.

I use lump charcoal. Hardwood, no additives. I don't need to have it labeled some politically correct thing, like organic.

Ironically I use propane to start the charcoal in the chimneys. I have a little Coleman camp stove, once it gets started on the bottom I turn the stove off.

i think you missed my point a bit. it's clean and certified stuff, yes, but it's not labelled organic. i was interested because of the labelling aspect.
I was originally going to say that "natural" and "organic" was just semantics as I was assuming that "natural" and "organic" are the same but there is a difference after a little research. Natural tends to be free of things like pesticides but the term Organic must be held accountable by government standards like "no pesticides". Government has no definition for Natural.

As far as the burning of coal by worldwide grillers not affecting the environment...that sounds right to me, buckytom.

:flowers: ...peace, mollyanne

mollyanne said:
No, it's not just "free from some crap". It's 100% oak hardwood charcoal that is free of coal, oil, limestone, starch, sawdust, and petroleum products

It's called Lump Charcoal.... Hard wood reduced to just Charcoal... Nothing added..There are dozens of manufacturers... it's for sale everywhere. Briquettes are ground and made into hockey pucks using different binders, additives, etc to aid in easy lighting.

mollyane said:
Natural tends to be free of things like pesticides but the term Organic must be held accountable by government standards like "no pesticides".

I think the same people who monitor these standards, also monitor off shore, deep water drilling rigs....:ermm:

[FONT=Times
New Roman]"If the wood sources used to make lump charcoal are untreated, then Lump Charcoal is ORGANIC.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times
New Roman]In order to be ORGANIC, a briquette must be made exclusively from untreated wood sources converted to char, a small amount of water and a vegetable-based starch binder."[/FONT]

[FONT=Times
New Roman]Quoted From... ~ Organic is Better Charcoal[/FONT]

In order for anything to be organic it must be a carbon compound.

Someone should have gotten a pay raise in the marketing office the day they came up with that one.

Back
Top Bottom