"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
View Poll Results: Grilling
lid on 9 75.00%
lid of 3 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-05-2010, 02:29 PM   #31
Flour Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyanne View Post
This is a quote found on Charcoal Grill Warnings - Carcinogens & Briquettes

"Consumers can avoid exposure to these potentially harmful additives by sticking with so-called natural charcoal brands. Noram de Mexico's Sierra Madre 100 percent oak hardwood charcoal contains no coal, oil, limestone, starch, sawdust or petroleum products and, to boot, is certified by the Rainforest Alliance's SmartWood program as sustainably harvested. The product is available at select Sam's Clubs across the U.S. Other manufacturers of all natural charcoal include Greenlink and Lazzari, both of which can be found at natural food outlets across North America.

CONTACTS: Rainforest Alliance SmartWood Program, Sustainable Forestry: Introduction Greenlink Charcoal, www.greenlinkcharcoal.com; Lazzari, Welcome to Lazzari "

I bought mine a couple of years ago at Whole Foods.

No, it's not just "free from some crap". It's 100% oak hardwood charcoal that is free of coal, oil, limestone, starch, sawdust, and petroleum products. And we're not just talking about "one tiny grill". There are a few more grillers on this planet than "one"...but I'm not going there...all the grill lovers will hate me and frankly, I'm not exactly a green fanatic (although I do care).

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 02:36 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

i think you missed my point a bit. it's clean and certified stuff, yes, but it's not labelled organic. i was interested because of the labelling aspect.

and of course there's a lot of grillers out there. but the sum total of all of their smoke does not equal a drop in the bucket of worldwide air pollution. only an extremist would count grill smoke as adding to the problem.

i respect the concern, but there's better fish to fry as far as air pollution goes.

Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 02:54 PM   #33
Master Chef

Site Administrator

I use lump charcoal. Hardwood, no additives. I don't need to have it labeled some politically correct thing, like organic.

Ironically I use propane to start the charcoal in the chimneys. I have a little Coleman camp stove, once it gets started on the bottom I turn the stove off.
Old 06-05-2010, 03:56 PM   #34
Flour Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
i think you missed my point a bit. it's clean and certified stuff, yes, but it's not labelled organic. i was interested because of the labelling aspect.
I was originally going to say that "natural" and "organic" was just semantics as I was assuming that "natural" and "organic" are the same but there is a difference after a little research. Natural tends to be free of things like pesticides but the term Organic must be held accountable by government standards like "no pesticides". Government has no definition for Natural.

As far as the burning of coal by worldwide grillers not affecting the environment...that sounds right to me, buckytom.

...peace, mollyanne

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
Old 06-05-2010, 04:19 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyanne
No, it's not just "free from some crap". It's 100% oak hardwood charcoal that is free of coal, oil, limestone, starch, sawdust, and petroleum products
It's called Lump Charcoal.... Hard wood reduced to just Charcoal... Nothing added..There are dozens of manufacturers... it's for sale everywhere. Briquettes are ground and made into hockey pucks using different binders, additives, etc to aid in easy lighting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyane
Natural tends to be free of things like pesticides but the term Organic must be held accountable by government standards like "no pesticides".
I think the same people who monitor these standards, also monitor off shore, deep water drilling rigs....

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 04:57 PM   #36
Flour Child

"If the wood sources used to make lump charcoal are untreated, then Lump Charcoal is ORGANIC.

In order to be ORGANIC, a briquette must be made exclusively from untreated wood sources converted to char, a small amount of water and a vegetable-based starch binder."

Quoted From... ~ Organic is Better Charcoal

Old 06-05-2010, 06:41 PM   #37
Master Chef

Site Administrator

In order for anything to be organic it must be a carbon compound.

Someone should have gotten a pay raise in the marketing office the day they came up with that one.