Grilling vs flat top

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

allaboutfood

Assistant Cook
Hi, I would like to get some opinions on whether you like grilling over an open flame or cooking on a flat top (this is for hamburgers specifically), thanks

Though I think a grilled burger is good every once in a while, I think burgers are always better on a flat top. They're much more flavorful and they don't get burned as easily.

I prefer grilling, on gas or charcoal. A burger cooked in a cast iron skillet (same as a flattop) is also good but tastes different.

Grilling over charcoal beats flat top burgers every time for me. That smokey flavor just can't be duplicated on a flat top, or in a good pan. I can't think of a meat, except for maybe bulk sausage, that I prefer fried on steel. Now don't get me wrong, there is absolutely nothing wrong with a properly fried peice of meat. That's how I normally cook the stuff. But I prefer grilled meat, over charcoal of course.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I like them grilled with a crust, but burger gravy is good, and it's hard to make gravy from grilled burger drippings... :wacko: It all depends what I am making as to how I cook them.

I LOVE the grill, most any meat I can grill, I will grill. . .that being said, with a burger, flat top or cast iron, 100%. Once the fat starts to render out, it makes for the most flavorful sear, and the caramelization is unmatched. A nice old cast iron does the same, but with all the different layers/seasoning, adds something different and special.

thanks for all your input it is an ongoing debate between a friend and me. Would still like to hear from others.

I like grilling better than charbroiled. I enjoy the taste of charbroiled but I get heartburn from it & continue to taste the charbroiled taste for hours.

Grilling or Flat top?...I like the sear and crust you can achieve from direct heat of a flat top...but,I love the sound and smell of a charcoal grill...for flavor and texture...flat top done right..but the child in me says...charcoal!

I think grilling is almost always superior to flat top. Not only is it tastier but it sears out all the fat. While making them taste great.

For me it's the grill. I don't like cooking meats when they are laying in fat unless I'm doing stir-fry at super-hot temps. It seems to make the meat too greasy for me.

Plus, the smoke that is created by the juices dripping into the fire adds so much to the flavor of the meat.

For me it's the grill. I don't like cooking meats when they are laying in fat unless I'm doing stir-fry at super-hot temps. It seems to make the meat too greasy for me.

Plus, the smoke that is created by the juices dripping into the fire adds so much to the flavor of the meat.

You say fat, I say the meat's own juices.
I prefer bacon drippings over bacon grease, too ;)

:LOL:

+1 for grill so long as it's done right (no hockey puck burgers for this girl), though I do like both and I love pan drippings for use in gravey. As mentioned before, it's difficult to collect drippings from a grill.

Tip to all burger cookers, or even steak or shop cookers in pan; Cook both sides with a lid on until just rare. If browning ground beef, cook with lid on until grey. Open lid and pour off juices. Complete cooking with the lid off to brown the meat to your liking. Place juices in the fridge. When fat has solidified, lift of and scrape any jell back into the bowl. Throw the fat away. Now you have collected the juices that would otherwise escape into the air as steam.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I enjoy both, but prefer a charcoal grilled burger the best. As that juice (fat!!) hits the charcoal and comes back up as smoke, the flavor can't be matched.

Back
Top Bottom