Grind Your Own?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CraigC

Master Chef
We purchased our meat grinder and sausage stuffer initially for making sausage. Now we have started purchasing bulk beef and pork to grind. Not only is it more economical, we can control the size of the grind and fat content. It also allows us to buy meats that might be hard to find in ground form, such as lamb, locally. I'm not a fan of fish cakes, for which the grinder would come in handy, but I have now started using the grinder to make quick work of conch for fritters.;)

Any other home grinders out there? Do you find it more economical?

We grind at home. I have this old war horse of a grinder I found under the stairs of a restaurant I used to manage years ago. It weighs about 50 lbs and sounds like a large truck is running in your kitchen. I make a batch of sausage every few months and freeze them. You can probably get free back fat from the butcher if you ask. Burger meat. I use steak trim from the shop and mix it with leaner cuts...I like a larger plate because it gives the patties looser texture and cook up juicier.

I don't necessarily do it for the economical benefits. It's for the fun of it and also to experiment and create something unique. We give most of it away to the kids...

I haven't been doing it as much lately. I grind about 80 lbs of burger, twice a week for the deli, so sometimes I just use the machine there and bring the meat home so I don't have to make a mess here...Happy Grinding!

Last edited:
I grind my own meats as well for all of thew reasons listed. Do poultry as well.

I started out using a Kitchenmaid grinder attachment but kept having smear issues. I have a LEM #5 and it has worked very well for a number of years now.

I also have a LEM 5LB sausage stuffer. Now that was a good purchase!

Mark

I grind my own meats as well for all of thew reasons listed. Do poultry as well.

I started out using a Kitchenmaid grinder attachment but kept having smear issues. I have a LEM #5 and it has worked very well for a number of years now.

I also have a LEM 5LB sausage stuffer. Now that was a good purchase!

Mark

Although we never had smear issues, the KA was just way too slow and if you didn't buy the after market dies, your grind size was pretty limited. We also went the LEM way with both that size grinder and stuffer. World of difference.

We purchased our meat grinder and sausage stuffer initially for making sausage. Now we have started purchasing bulk beef and pork to grind. Not only is it more economical, we can control the size of the grind and fat content. It also allows us to buy meats that might be hard to find in ground form, such as lamb, locally. I'm not a fan of fish cakes, for which the grinder would come in handy, but I have now started using the grinder to make quick work of conch for fritters.;)

Any other home grinders out there? Do you find it more economical?

Here's one. So far I have only ground beef and lamb and use the meat for meatballs, meatloaf, hamburgers, etc. I find that the meat taste so much fresher. It's as if you added that one last ingredient that has been your secret for years. Even after I have frozen it in one pound packs. I made lamb burgers with the ground lamb.

Also like you said, I buy chuck beef when it is on sale. And compared to $359 per pound for already ground, to $199 per pound for the sale product, the savings really add up after a while.

I paid the grand sum of $25.00 for my KA grinder. Today it cost about $60 or more. It was a brand spanking new item for the mixer. I JUST had to have one to make my life complete. Best spent money. And then as soon as the pasta maker came out, I just had to have that one. Another $25. Grind my own meat, make my own pasta and I have ravioli with a meat filling.

Sure it is more work. But I find working with food relaxing and quite a money saver also. :angel:

Another LEM owner here. :bb:

Been grinding my own for years now. :D

First reason. I know what's in it and how what's in it was handled up to a point. (Thank You but no floor sweepings for me,)

I like my meat on the rare side and if it's been ground by an unknown source then it has to be well done.

Second reason. Cost. I buy the cut's I want to grind much cheaper per pound then I can find ground.

Third reason. Variety. You see ground beef and turkey but not so much ground pork or lamb. You also get to choose the cuts to use.

Fourth reason. It's a fun thing to do. At least I find it relaxing. Not to mention that while you're grinding away and the kitties are bugging you for handouts you can threaten to toss them in the grinder too if they don't shut up. ;)

Kitties? Wow .. great idea as I have to watch out for dog drool. I also have ground nuts and bread crumbs. Its good to see other LEM owners. I think Zagat has nailed it with his 4 reasons. What size grinders did you all get? I have a #5 but am thinking of upgrading.

M

Fourth reason. It's a fun thing to do. At least I find it relaxing. Not to mention that while you're grinding away and the kitties are bugging you for handouts you can threaten to toss them in the grinder too if they don't shut up. ;)

Ah...Kitten teriyaki...very good:LOL:

I have the KA attachment, but find it difficult to use. I also have a clamp on hand crank grinder that finds itself used weekly. I wish I had a LEM, but don't see spending that kind of money for my simple uses.

I have the KA attachment, but find it difficult to use. I also have a clamp on hand crank grinder that finds itself used weekly. I wish I had a LEM, but don't see spending that kind of money for my simple uses.

I was thinking more along the lines of Kitty Tartare.
After sending Lucy and/or Ethel through the grinder I don't think I'd have the heart to cook them. :rolleyes:

I can't remember the size of my LEM but the plates are about 2 1/2 inches in diameter. It's 3/4 hp if I recall correctly and wasn't that expensive since it was a refurbished second.

It takes care of my needs and it sure keeps the kitty begging to a minimum. :LOL:

$250 was a lot to spend on a meat grinder but I have no regrets. I wait till meat is on sale then bulk grind and freeze. I do 1/2 lb packs. I REALLY struggled with the KA attachment.

I make a lot of sausage and the sausage stuffer I bought was well worth it.

M

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom