"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 07-15-2012, 02:24 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy Queen View Post
If in doubt put them down on your driveway.
it's a thought gq,it is july after all,all we need now is bl**dy snow

Old 07-15-2012, 02:34 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezlehan View Post
Harry I'm intrigued with spaghetti squash, where in the UK did you find it? I've had no luck in any supermarkets near me.
Hey--kezlehan--nice to see you back! Hope all is well.

Old 07-15-2012, 07:25 PM   #13
Head Chef

Harry, The squash, for me, they are SO HARD TO CUT, so I just stab them a few times if I can get the knife in and then bake them until they are tender.
Cut them in half, carefully scoop out the area where the seeds are. Then you'll see the spaghetti start to get scooped out, all the way to the skin.

We like it with a little butter and S&P, nice flavor and good texture, not mushy. Hope you find something good to do with it.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:31 PM   #14
Head Chef

I enjoy spaghetti squash with butter, s&p & parmesan cheese. Sometimes I prepare it like "Straw & Hay" using half spaghetti & half spaghetti squash, w/ cooked ham, peas & mushrooms.

I nuke the squash, & rake the strands w/ the tines of a fork to make the "spaghetti."

Double Spaghetti Squash
Double-Spaghetti Squash recipe from eatbetteramerica
Old 07-15-2012, 08:54 PM   #15
Executive Chef

I've used spaghetti squash before, as a healthful (?) substitute for pasta, and they worked well. I forgot why it never became popular with me.

Grits? I kind of know what they are... but... Did you google it? I have no idea what to do with grits, but it's a very unappealing name.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:04 PM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
I've used spaghetti squash before, as a healthful (?) substitute for pasta, and they worked well. I forgot why it never became popular with me.

Grits? I kind of know what they are... but... Did you google it? I have no idea what to do with grits, but it's a very unappealing name.
One might expect it to taste like pasta or be a pasta sub from it's name and spaghetti-like strands, but it tastes like a vegetable.

You can throw some chili on top
make spaghetti squash fritters/pancakes w/ cheese added to the mix
make a casserole with the cooked squash strands, bacon, egg & gruyere
Toss it w/ fresh diced tomatoes, garlic, herbs and mozzarella and/or fresh Parmesan cheese

I've also seen it served with a cooked egg on top.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:12 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerise View Post
One might expect it to taste like pasta or be a pasta sub from it's name and spaghetti-like strands, but it tastes like a vegetable. I've also seen it served with a cooked egg on top.
Ir reminded me a lot of spaghetti, in a very flattering way. I think it could be a good alternative to pasta, although I don't know the relative nutritional comparison.

Maybe somebody can comment on the nutritional differences between pasta and spaghetti squash...
Old 07-16-2012, 01:32 AM   #18
Wine Guy

I'm a fan of cheese grits myself. Follow Hoot's instructions, but in addition to the butter and seasoning, add a handful of grated cheddar, a little garlic powder, and a few shakes of hot sauce. Now you have a tasty side dish you can serve with dinner (I like it with grilled shrimp skewers).
Old 07-16-2012, 01:41 AM   #19
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Grits: Submerge in water, and then add an inch. Simmer until they are soft, and then cook until most of the liquid is off the surface. The should be like creamy polenta(it's the same thing basically), finish with butter, milk, and some cheese for best results.

grits, treated like the cor meal that they are, are very versatile. if you can handle polenta, you can handle grits.

For spaghetti squash: Simply split lengthwise, hull the seeds, put butter, brown sugar, some cardamon, salt and pepper in the cavity, tent with foil and bake for 30min.

Drain any excess liquid, and scrape out the squash, you will quickly see why it is called spaghetti squash.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:30 AM   #20
Executive Chef

thanks all,big help! think i'll try the squash nice & simple first time to get a handle on the flavour,if i like it i'm thinking rosti with maybe a bit of crabmeat,chilli & parsley mixed in,kind of spaghetti squash crab cake?
one last question about the grits....has anyone let it solidify,sliced it & griddled it like polenta?

Tags
spaghetti