Grits & spaghetti squash

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
evening k.tesco,seasonal squashes £1.50 each for one about the size of a honeydew melon.grown in greece according to the sticker.they also had lots of other squashes,one was like a small pumpkin but with segments that were more raised & mottled green,cream & orange...very pretty:)!!

Thanks I'll have a look next time I go to Tesco!

Hey--kezlehan--nice to see you back! Hope all is well.

Ah thank you :) I have been naughty lately and not participated in the forums. Have been stalking them though if that counts? :P I hope all is well with you too!

one last question about the grits....has anyone let it solidify,sliced it & griddled it like polenta?

I 'spect you could, but not having ever tried it, you might want to reduce the amount of water just a tick. I have had grits that were so thick you could stick your fork in it and pick the whole bowlful in one fell swoop.
Grits that thick would likely fare better on the griddle, or the grill for that matter.

I 'spect you could, but not having ever tried it, you might want to reduce the amount of water just a tick. I have had grits that were so thick you could stick your fork in it and pick the whole bowlful in one fell swoop.
Grits that thick would likely fare better on the griddle, or the grill for that matter.
.....or as a door stop by the sounds of it.....reminiscent of the mashed 'taters the cooks used to throw at us at school:ermm::LOL:!!
i use me griddle a lot(apartments not being conducive to barbecueing!) but i think i'll try the reduced water method after i've got the hang of cooking them "normal".
once again,thanks hoot me old mucker:cool:

Thanks I'll have a look next time I go to Tesco!
just took a toot at your profile k,seems like we have more in common than just squashes...same birthday(true,mine was 40 years before your's!!),motoGP(watch it on the tv these days) & strongbow...plus other assorted ciders & beverages;)!!

'Fried" or grilled (if you prefer) grits made from leftovers is fairly common place around me.........

Never tried the "Instant" grits 'cause I don't eat wall paper paste, school glue etc.

Hominy grits work well.. as does stone ground grits for this purpose....

Stone ground (AKA Corn Grits) can be either yellow or white..depending on the corn used. HTH

'Fried" or grilled (if you prefer) grits made from leftovers is fairly common place around me.........

Never tried the "Instant" grits 'cause I don't eat wall paper paste, school glue etc.

Hominy grits work well.. as does stone ground grits for this purpose....

Stone ground (AKA Corn Grits) can be either yellow or white..depending on the corn used. HTH
ah hah! that explains it.was a bit bothered when steve used the term white hominy.the grits i bought are the consistency of very coarse cornmeal & the same colour as corn.so these sound like stone ground & should be ok?
cheers u/bob

Cook...cool a bit...spread on a plate to desired thickness..refrigerate. ~ Slice and grill/fry ~~ If what you have (the package should tell you) is Stone ground then make sure to cook them done....45 minutes or so. ~If what you have is Hominy grits then 15 minutes or less.. should be good. ~~ If you have "instant" grits...Good luck to ya!!

just took a toot at your profile k,seems like we have more in common than just squashes...same birthday(true,mine was 40 years before your's!!),motoGP(watch it on the tv these days) & strongbow...plus other assorted ciders & beverages!!

Wow spooky! You have good taste haha!
I'm a huge Rossi fan, he did pretty decent yesterday to say the Ducati isn't up to scratch!
As for the cider, it is my beverage of choice that's for sure!!! :)

ah hah! that explains it.was a bit bothered when steve used the term white hominy.the grits i bought are the consistency of very coarse cornmeal & the same colour as corn.so these sound like stone ground & should be ok?
I should explain. I live in the northern US. Grits are more of a southern food.

The only kind I see around here are white hominy grits (and the aforementioned quick or instant grits, which are kind of nasty). In the north, if it's yellow, it's usually labeled polenta or stone ground cornmeal. I suspect it's may be the same as Uncle Bob's stone ground grits, though.

I used to work in the south, and grits is one of those dishes I learned to love. I still eat them when I have the time to make them.

Cook...cool a bit...spread on a plate to desired thickness..refrigerate. ~ Slice and grill/fry ~~ If what you have (the package should tell you) is Stone ground then make sure to cook them done....45 minutes or so. ~If what you have is Hominy grits then 15 minutes or less.. should be good. ~~ If you have "instant" grits...Good luck to ya!!
i reckon they are stone ground grits from the way you describe them u/bob.i'll check them after 15 & if they ain't done i'll just keep going 'til they are!!
don't use instant anything..apart from instant mashed potato,dissolve some of the powder in the water i soak live mussels in overnight.plumps them up a treat!

I should explain. I live in the northern US. Grits are more of a southern food.

The only kind I see around here are white hominy grits (and the aforementioned quick or instant grits, which are kind of nasty). In the north, if it's yellow, it's usually labeled polenta or stone ground cornmeal. I suspect it's may be the same as Uncle Bob's stone ground grits, though.

I used to work in the south, and grits is one of those dishes I learned to love. I still eat them when I have the time to make them.
looks like we've nailed it steve.thanks for your help chaps.true grit....oy,i know i know i'll get me coat..........!!

I love grits but never cottoned to spaghetti squash--grew it one year--it was okay. I love other kinds of squash. I think it is a texture thing for me (or, it is because I'm not a big fan of spaghetti, so couldn't be bothered to make spaghetti squash as a substitute for spaghetti pasta).

Harry,
Look at grits as an alternative to potatos or rice. ;)
You can do just about anything your heart desires with them once you get the basic cooking of them done. :chef:
I don't live very far below the Mason Dixon line so take my opinion with a grain of salt. :mrgreen:

I love grits but never cottoned to spaghetti squash--grew it one year--it was okay. I love other kinds of squash. I think it is a texture thing for me (or, it is because I'm not a big fan of spaghetti, so couldn't be bothered to make spaghetti squash as a substitute for spaghetti pasta).
going to cook the squash tomorrow cw,so fingers crossed....:rolleyes:!!

Harry,
Look at grits as an alternative to potatos or rice. ;)
You can do just about anything your heart desires with them once you get the basic cooking of them done. :chef:
I don't live very far below the Mason Dixon line so take my opinion with a grain of salt. :mrgreen:
cheers Z,grain of salt? no pun intended of course:ermm::LOL:!

Your multicolored squash that you talked about earlier sounds like a sweet dumpling--one of my favorites, very sweet and flavorful. Grab one the next time you encounter them. I like them halved and baked, with a spoonful of maple syrup and butter in the cavity.

Your multicolored squash that you talked about earlier sounds like a sweet dumpling--one of my favorites, very sweet and flavorful. Grab one the next time you encounter them. I like them halved and baked, with a spoonful of maple syrup and butter in the cavity.
ah hah! thanks for the heads up s/grass,trouble with the supermarkets over here is that they seem to stock some good/unusual stuff as a "one off",sell out & then not restock 'cos they think no one will buy them:ermm::wacko::rolleyes:!!
i'll keep me eyes peeled next time i'm in tesco & give 'em a go.....if they've still got them in that is!

In the north, if it's yellow, it's usually labeled polenta or stone ground cornmeal. I suspect it's may be the same as Uncle Bob's stone ground grits, though.
So I saw this at the store tonight. I guess that answers the question. :LOL:

img_1163201_0_82ddd155ebfb4e4172d725cb54fa8565.jpg

Back
Top Bottom