Grits & spaghetti squash

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Harry Cobean

Executive Chef
i was in the supermarket yesterday prowling the world foods section & they were selling corn grits.they were only 75 of our british pennies for a large bag so i bought some but haven't got a clue what to use them for.
seen quite a few posts on dc mentioning grits,so what can i do with them.for instance can i use them as a coating for frying etc?
also bought a spaghetti squash.never cooked one before.i know you whack 'em in the oven then scoop out the innards but what then? sounds a bit boring so any ideas?

Cook the grits as the package says.
You can add lots of things like cheeses & spices.
But all I think they need is a little butter,salt,and pepper.
In my view simple is better.

Cook the grits as the package says.
You can add lots of things like cheeses & spices.
But all I think they need is a little butter,salt,and pepper.
In my view simple is better.
thanks Z but no instructions on the pack.i know,surprised me too:ermm:!

Use the spaghetti squash just like regular spaghetti, with marinara sauce, Alfredo sauce, parm, etc. It's pretty neutral in flavor.

I have no idea about the grits....one of Paula Deen's recipes might help?

Last edited:
I haven't cooked grits for a long time but they are simply boiled.
If they're instant they cook quicker.
I'd say cook them until they are the texture you like.
Guess you'll have to be testing them often as you go along.
Think of it as on excuse to adjust the seasoning.
And be prepared to add water if they start to become too thick.

Here at Casa de Hoot, we fix grits using about a 4 -1 ratio of water to grits.
Bring the water to a boil, we generally add a spoonful of salt, then add the grits. Stir them around good. Reduce the heat and cook about 30 minutes or so, making sure to stir them from time to time because they can scorch. Scorched grits are terrible. Remove the grits from the heat and stir in 2-3 spoonfuls of butter. Salt and pepper to taste. There ya go....Southern style grits.

Harry I'm intrigued with spaghetti squash, where in the UK did you find it? I've had no luck in any supermarkets near me.

Here at Casa de Hoot, we fix grits using about a 4 -1 ratio of water to grits.
Bring the water to a boil, we generally add a spoonful of salt, then add the grits. Stir them around good. Reduce the heat and cook about 30 minutes or so, making sure to stir them from time to time because they can scorch. Scorched grits are terrible. Remove the grits from the heat and stir in 2-3 spoonfuls of butter. Salt and pepper to taste. There ya go....Southern style grits.
thanks mate,you the man hoot:cool:!!

Harry I'm intrigued with spaghetti squash, where in the UK did you find it? I've had no luck in any supermarkets near me.
evening k.tesco,seasonal squashes £1.50 each for one about the size of a honeydew melon.grown in greece according to the sticker.they also had lots of other squashes,one was like a small pumpkin but with segments that were more raised & mottled green,cream & orange...very pretty:)!!

Last edited:
Harry, The squash, for me, they are SO HARD TO CUT, so I just stab them a few times if I can get the knife in and then bake them until they are tender.
Cut them in half, carefully scoop out the area where the seeds are. Then you'll see the spaghetti start to get scooped out, all the way to the skin.

We like it with a little butter and S&P, nice flavor and good texture, not mushy. Hope you find something good to do with it.

I enjoy spaghetti squash with butter, s&p & parmesan cheese. Sometimes I prepare it like "Straw & Hay" using half spaghetti & half spaghetti squash, w/ cooked ham, peas & mushrooms.

I nuke the squash, & rake the strands w/ the tines of a fork to make the "spaghetti."

Double Spaghetti Squash
Double-Spaghetti Squash recipe from eatbetteramerica

Last edited:
I've used spaghetti squash before, as a healthful (?) substitute for pasta, and they worked well. I forgot why it never became popular with me.

Grits? I kind of know what they are... but... Did you google it? I have no idea what to do with grits, but it's a very unappealing name.

I've used spaghetti squash before, as a healthful (?) substitute for pasta, and they worked well. I forgot why it never became popular with me.

Grits? I kind of know what they are... but... Did you google it? I have no idea what to do with grits, but it's a very unappealing name.

One might expect it to taste like pasta or be a pasta sub from it's name and spaghetti-like strands, but it tastes like a vegetable.

You can throw some chili on top
make spaghetti squash fritters/pancakes w/ cheese added to the mix
make a casserole with the cooked squash strands, bacon, egg & gruyere
Toss it w/ fresh diced tomatoes, garlic, herbs and mozzarella and/or fresh Parmesan cheese

I've also seen it served with a cooked egg on top.

Last edited:
One might expect it to taste like pasta or be a pasta sub from it's name and spaghetti-like strands, but it tastes like a vegetable. I've also seen it served with a cooked egg on top.
Ir reminded me a lot of spaghetti, in a very flattering way. I think it could be a good alternative to pasta, although I don't know the relative nutritional comparison.

Maybe somebody can comment on the nutritional differences between pasta and spaghetti squash...

Last edited:
I'm a fan of cheese grits myself. Follow Hoot's instructions, but in addition to the butter and seasoning, add a handful of grated cheddar, a little garlic powder, and a few shakes of hot sauce. Now you have a tasty side dish you can serve with dinner (I like it with grilled shrimp skewers).

Grits: Submerge in water, and then add an inch. Simmer until they are soft, and then cook until most of the liquid is off the surface. The should be like creamy polenta(it's the same thing basically), finish with butter, milk, and some cheese for best results.

grits, treated like the cor meal that they are, are very versatile. if you can handle polenta, you can handle grits.

For spaghetti squash: Simply split lengthwise, hull the seeds, put butter, brown sugar, some cardamon, salt and pepper in the cavity, tent with foil and bake for 30min.

Drain any excess liquid, and scrape out the squash, you will quickly see why it is called spaghetti squash.

thanks all,big help:)! think i'll try the squash nice & simple first time to get a handle on the flavour,if i like it i'm thinking rosti with maybe a bit of crabmeat,chilli & parsley mixed in,kind of spaghetti squash crab cake?
one last question about the grits....has anyone let it solidify,sliced it & griddled it like polenta?

Back
Top Bottom