"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 07-24-2009, 02:33 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Grits? "I'm confused"

I know what grits are, Well I thought I did until I watched Alton's brown's episode on grits the other night.

So is corn meal grits, or could be made into grits?

And my second question, How long do I need to cook them for to make them creamy and not el dente?

Old 07-24-2009, 02:37 PM   #2
Head Chef

here's some info:
about grits - Google Search

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 02:50 PM   #3
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyogal View Post
here's some info:
about grits - Google Search
Thank you very much Wyogal.
Old 07-24-2009, 03:28 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Most people do not know how to properly cook grits. They either end up too watery, or stiffer than partially set concrete! Unlike cornmeal, which is added after the water comes to a boil, add your grits to the pot of water while it's still cold and then boil, stirring until the spoon leaves a trail on the surface as you move it about. Conditions such as humidity, altitude and the true quantity - plus or minus a few grits - makes a difference, so no package instructions can ever be reliable. You've just got to "feel" your grits!! And don't forget the butter (NO MARGARINE) and salt! unless you want the Grit Police knocking at your door!
Old 07-24-2009, 04:02 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Mark Webster
Grits are awesome. My first experience with grits came when I first got stationed on the gulf coast and I tried to order has browns for breakfast at a restaurant. After my server stopped laughing, I got a complete lesson on grits and how to eat them. For breakfast generally used as a platform where a sunnyside egg has been placed on top. They are great in a variety of dishes and having lived in Charleston, SC for three years and going to culinary school there I aquired several great recipes.
Old 07-24-2009, 04:20 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Webster View Post
Grits are awesome. My first experience with grits came when I first got stationed on the gulf coast and I tried to order has browns for breakfast at a restaurant. After my server stopped laughing, I got a complete lesson on grits and how to eat them. For breakfast generally used as a platform where a sunnyside egg has been placed on top. They are great in a variety of dishes and having lived in Charleston, SC for three years and going to culinary school there I aquired several great recipes.
That's how I like mine...with a sunnyside up egg on top!

CC - Grits have to be seasoned - HIGHLY seasoned. Cooking them just takes practice. I like to season mine with salt, pepper, garlic powder, LOTS of butter, and then when done stir in lots of cheese! Notice a "lot" of "lots of" . When it comes to grits that's just the way it is!

A restaurant around here makes big fat veal shanks falling off the bone and serves them on top of truffled stoneground grits - OMG! Heaven in a bowl!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 04:38 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Please pass the "Cat heads" -------

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 09:29 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Please pass the "Cat heads" -------
Cat Head biscuits...just like Jerry Clower's mom made. Hand squshed too.
I love grits. I use Quaker in the red round box. Never instant or quick grits. As we learned in My Cousin Vinny, "No self respecting Southerner uses instant grits". I season with butter and salt.
I don't know why people will eat oatmeal, but are afraid to try grits.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:51 PM   #9
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldrustycars View Post
Cat Head biscuits...just like Jerry Clower's mom made. Hand squshed too.
I love grits. I use Quaker in the red round box. Never instant or quick grits. As we learned in My Cousin Vinny, "No self respecting Southerner uses instant grits". I season with butter and salt.
I don't know why people will eat oatmeal, but are afraid to try grits.
Oh my gosh, ORC that was my exact name on aol when I was in my teenday's and when aol had 1.0 which was very new at the time!

By the as soon as aol 3.0 came out I've decided it was full of strange users so I went to an internet provider after my year was up!

what a weird flash back with this name "cool"
Old 07-24-2009, 10:12 PM   #10
Executive Chef

I just asked his nibs the original question that was posted. I got a very long lesson on how it is milled. All I know, is that stone ground grits, cooked in butter, milk, heavy cream, makes me very happy. Stone ground grits are getting very hard to find here. Most of the grocery stores carry instant.