"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 06-21-2013, 12:20 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Like CG. These stores are about 20 miles away for me, I do like to get food items and kitchen gadgets for gift baskets too. Great buys on unique things!

Old 06-21-2013, 01:37 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

do the food things have an expiration/best if used by date?

if not, then you're buying what we call in nyc "bodega" stuff.

things that were factory or legitimate retail store seconds (which could range from simply an error on a label - such as the expiry printing, to uninspected but still good stuff, to foods that are going to be discontinued but are stiil as good as new, to things that should have been tossed but were relabelled for sale or since there's no date of expiration, they're good forever).

you takes your chances and you get what you pay for, for the most part, imo. and if it works for you, go for it. there's thousands upon thousands of things that could go either way.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:40 AM   #13
Master Chef

My parents' old home is about 10 miles from the Stouffer's outlet store. Most items you had to buy by the case (12-count) and the store clerks knew what was wrong (too much salt-but not salty, or an minor ingredient was missing but not essential to the final product) but the deals were great, especially if you had a freezer unit. Those kinds of places can be really good to have nearby!
Old 07-29-2013, 04:10 AM   #14
Flour Child

I love Victoria Taylor's Seasonings at TJMaxx/Homegoods especially the dried minced shallots! Also, chipotle, roasted garlic, etc. I once bought some Balsamic Vinegar that had been aged 10 years with a red wax seal and originally $$$...it was to die for but I haven't seen it since.

Kayelle, I used to get their Kona coffee all the time and loved it but then switched to Peets from Harris Teeter Grocery Store since it's so close to me....also awesome...and often on sale. I still see the Kona Coffee though at TJMaxx. Peets and Kona are sooo much better than Starbucks and DunkinDonuts.

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:13 AM   #15
Head Chef

Bucky, They do have Best By Dates on most of the stuff I buy there. It's really fun to check them out.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:41 PM   #16
Executive Chef

I haven't been in a TJMaxx or Marshalls in years. I don't remember seeing a food department, but I will have to check them out. I love to browse in stores that sell unusual items.