Groceries at T.J. Maxx

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GotGarlic

Chef Extraordinaire
I'm fascinated by the random ingredients you can find in the grocery section at T.J. Maxx. Am I the only one who goes there just to see what ingredients they have? Here are a few recent finds. The Vanilla Infusion Kit is three whole vanilla beans in a glass bottle with instructions on how to make vanilla extract - for $7.99! You can't buy vanilla beans that cheap in a grocery store! So cool :cool:

Attachments

• 2013-06-20 14.09.54.jpg
    2013-06-20 14.09.54.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 302
  • 2013-04-24 13.05.34.jpg
    2013-04-24 13.05.34.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 236
I love that place for those kind of finds GG! Marshall's has the same if you have one near you. Both those places are great also for finding one of a kind kitchen gadgets and unique cookware and service ware at huge discounts.

i got some interesting cupcake papers there. I just wonder if their coffee and bottled stuff is fresh, that's all.

That was a concern of mine too MW. However I found some Kona coffee beans there at a ridiculous price so I took the chance. The coffee was fabulous, but I don't know how they can sell it for what I paid. I went the next day to buy more, and it had sold out.

I like to stock up on these unusual items all year to make great Christmas baskets for the cooks on your gift list.

Last edited:
TJMaxx, Marshall's and Home Goods are all part of the same company. They buy and sell leftovers, salesmen's samples, etc.

I'm fascinated by the random ingredients you can find in the grocery section at T.J. Maxx. Am I the only one who goes there just to see what ingredients they have? Here are a few recent finds. The Vanilla Infusion Kit is three whole vanilla beans in a glass bottle with instructions on how to make vanilla extract - for $7.99! You can't buy vanilla beans that cheap in a grocery store! So cool :cool:

I get vanilla beans from Amazon usually around $20 for extract grade beans (still excellent quality), 50-60 beans per pack!:ohmy: If I just need a couple beans I get them at World Market 2 for $2.99.

Yeah, I agree they do have some cool stuff!

Yeah, you have to be ready to pounce if you find something there (or Ross or Marshalls) because chances are you'll never see them again. I found my best beloved All-Clad saucier @ Marshall's for 29.99. I go home empty handed from them more often than not - but love the deals I do find.

It's a bit of a drive for me to get to one just to look around (about 20 miles) but I make sure I check them out if I'm near one. I've never had any issues with any of the food items I've bought.

Other chains with a similar "buy and sell cast-off" theme are Tuesday Morning (don't remember them having food but they did carry kitchen goods), Big Lots, Ocean State Odd-Lots (only in New England) and Marc's Deeper Discounts (northeast Ohio).

Also, if you're looking for a good price on vanilla beans you might want to check your local health food store. I stopped at a little place in NW MA or SW VT for spices and nabbed a couple of them for $1.25 each.

I am in and out of TJ Maxx and Ross at least every other month. I head right to the kitchen stuff and foods. The dishes I got for the Mushroom Challenge, I got that at TJ Maxx, 2 place settings.

28716-albums315-picture2589.jpg

Like CG. These stores are about 20 miles away for me, I do like to get food items and kitchen gadgets for gift baskets too. Great buys on unique things!

do the food things have an expiration/best if used by date?

if not, then you're buying what we call in nyc "bodega" stuff.

things that were factory or legitimate retail store seconds (which could range from simply an error on a label - such as the expiry printing, to uninspected but still good stuff, to foods that are going to be discontinued but are stiil as good as new, to things that should have been tossed but were relabelled for sale or since there's no date of expiration, they're good forever).

you takes your chances and you get what you pay for, for the most part, imo. and if it works for you, go for it. there's thousands upon thousands of things that could go either way.

My parents' old home is about 10 miles from the Stouffer's outlet store. Most items you had to buy by the case (12-count) and the store clerks knew what was wrong (too much salt-but not salty, or an minor ingredient was missing but not essential to the final product) but the deals were great, especially if you had a freezer unit. Those kinds of places can be really good to have nearby!

I love Victoria Taylor's Seasonings at TJMaxx/Homegoods especially the dried minced shallots! Also, chipotle, roasted garlic, etc. I once bought some Balsamic Vinegar that had been aged 10 years with a red wax seal and originally $$$...it was to die for but I haven't seen it since.

Kayelle, I used to get their Kona coffee all the time and loved it but then switched to Peets from Harris Teeter Grocery Store since it's so close to me....also awesome...and often on sale. I still see the Kona Coffee though at TJMaxx. Peets and Kona are sooo much better than Starbucks and DunkinDonuts.

I haven't been in a TJMaxx or Marshalls in years. I don't remember seeing a food department, but I will have to check them out. I love to browse in stores that sell unusual items.

Back
Top Bottom