"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2012, 08:03 PM   #131
Executive Chef

Would you eat it? I'd avoid it if possible. I'd rather buy unground meat cuts and run them through my food processor to get ground meat.

It's like the old adage "better to not look too closely at what goes into sausage, or politics." Now that I know what's going into ground meat I'm reluctant to accept it.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:22 PM   #132
Master Chef

Site Administrator

For home use I do grind my own, but for the most part it saves me money. I like my ground meat pretty lean and the really lean at the store is absolutely criminal in pricing at times.

When I have a burger out I can eat a McDonalds or Burger King on the go and not have a complaint. I find I can enjoy food, good or bad, without being a snob about it. Some people hear the word McDonalds and they will put their nose in the sky.

I think too many people get too caught up in making sure they only eat the most organic, free range, unprocessed blah blah blah that the forget to try and just enjoy things... or mayhaps it is just me.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:38 PM   #133
Executive Chef

I want a free range cow-burger served on free range buns, and with free range cheese and mayonnaise and onions and relish, oh and free range mushrooms and free range bacon...
Old 03-28-2012, 09:45 PM   #134
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Are you going to season it with organic free range salt?
Old 03-28-2012, 09:47 PM   #135
Executive Chef

I make my own sea salt by capturing wild free range seawater and drying it under natural free range solar sun...
Old 03-28-2012, 10:21 PM   #136
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
For home use I do grind my own, but for the most part it saves me money. I like my ground meat pretty lean and the really lean at the store is absolutely criminal in pricing at times.

When I have a burger out I can eat a McDonalds or Burger King on the go and not have a complaint. I find I can enjoy food, good or bad, without being a snob about it. Some people hear the word McDonalds and they will put their nose in the sky.

I think too many people get too caught up in making sure they only eat the most organic, free range, unprocessed blah blah blah that the forget to try and just enjoy things... or mayhaps it is just me.
I often go right past a BK. And in the summer months, I go up to the beach just a few minutes from my home. The BK is located right across the street from the entrance. And I, along with the rest of the multitude make my pilgrimage to the shrine of the burger. No fries. Just a cheeseburger and a small soda. I also am near a Dunkin' Donut. I sometime stop in there and get a large lemon iced drink in the summer. Then there is the Royal Roast Beef place. I will order a small RB with sauce and then go to BK or DD for my drink. I don't believe in showing favorites. All of these establishments are right near the entrance to the beach. During the rest of the year, I continue to show my loyalty to my local businesses. I often get a coupon in the mail from BK for a free breakfast. I take advantage of it. A FREE meal. Not everytime. Sometimes it is just too cold for me to take a trip on my scooter. Just for giggles I have gone up to the drive-thru window and ordered. I love to see the person inside stretch to reach me to hand me my order.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:09 PM   #137
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post

I think it tastes better when it's made of food.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:29 PM   #138
Executive Chef

Pink slime is food! It just took a few detours after getting cut off the side of beef, and sniffed some ammonia gas ("Wheeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!") before getting back together with its ground cousins. Just think of it as part of your hamburger getting high on ammonia before jumping in your plate.

Really. I think the idea of this thing is the real controversy, not the healthfulness of it. It's still beef, it still has whatever fat content your product has on the label. If anybody could taste or measure the ammonia they would have already said so.

And here's another question for you pink slime objectors. (I'll admit I'm one of them.) If you really don't like the idea of pink slime, why are you eating sausage? (If you are...) I'll bet whatever goes into your sausage is far worse than a pink slimed hamburger.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:52 PM   #139
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg
Pink slime is food! It just took a few detours after getting cut off the side of beef, and sniffed some ammonia gas ("Wheeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!") before getting back together with its ground cousins. Just think of it as part of your hamburger getting high on ammonia before jumping in your plate.

Really. I think the idea of this thing is the real controversy, not the healthfulness of it. It's still beef, it still has whatever fat content your product has on the label. If anybody could taste or measure the ammonia they would have already said so.

And here's another question for you pink slime objectors. (I'll admit I'm one of them.) If you really don't like the idea of pink slime, why are you eating sausage? (If you are...) I'll bet whatever goes into your sausage is far worse than a pink slimed hamburger.
I almost never eat sausage or other processed meat, maybe a hot dog or two a year.

I don't want pink slime in my ground beef simply because it is processed meat and that fact has been hidden to us until recently. I don't think that it is dangerous, but if I buy ground meat, I just want raw meat, the type indicated on the package, ground. If I want byproducts I'll buy processed meat. I buy mostly ground chuck, or round, and expect the package to contain just that.

In my store (large chain) "ground beef" is made from grinding up scraps, "chuck" and all others come to the meat department as "chunks" in big packages, ready to grind, pre-measured for fat content. I think that the cheaper "ground beef" is actually the one least likely to contain pink slime.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:05 PM   #140
Executive Chef

Well I agree with you there BC, that neither of us wants to each much processed meat. I'll process it myself from whole cuts if I want processed meat.

Interesting your comment: " I think that the cheaper 'ground beef' is actually the one least likely to contain pink slime. It's obvious that sliming more expensive cuts is more profitable, just considering the final price per pound. However the slime issue came up regarding cheap ground beef sold to schools. I don't know.

Tags
beef