"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-30-2012, 07:10 AM   #141
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
Well I agree with you there BC, that neither of us wants to each much processed meat. I'll process it myself from whole cuts if I want processed meat.

Interesting your comment: " I think that the cheaper 'ground beef' is actually the one least likely to contain pink slime. It's obvious that sliming more expensive cuts is more profitable, just considering the final price per pound. However the slime issue came up regarding cheap ground beef sold to schools. I don't know.
What I meant by that, if I didn't make myself clear (I was typing on my phone), is that the cheaper "ground beef" that is sold in my store is made from scraps that the meat cutters save, from steaks, roasts etc.. And as far as I know, they don't have any pink slime to add to it (I work in the store). The stuff that comes packaged in what looks like 15 pound tubes that is dumped into the grinder, is more likely to have the pink slime in it, because it is packed by the meat processor. These huge tubes are where specific types of ground beef come from. I would imagine that with large chain stores, that grinding this way is fairly common practice. With the popularity of ground beef, I can't see most stores having enough "scrap" to make all of their ground beef, since in many cases ground beef is far more popular than roasts and steaks.

Luckily most stores in my area say that they are going to stop using it. But I'm suspicious, since it doesn't need to be disclosed on the label, how long before it sneaks back in? I give it a year. Once they can raise the price on beef because they are not using it, they can sneak it back in and continue to keep the price higher.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:32 PM   #142
Executive Chef

I agree with you BC that the meat is slimed probably at a higher level than local markets. It is of course a well known practice to cut up a side of beef and part it out to the various cuts, then take the miscellaneous left overs and turn them into hamburger. I can't quite picture the typical meat market clerk grabbing the slime and mixing it in.

I said "meat merket clerk" because of the time I asked a meat market clerk at Ralphs Market (Kroeger's) how to cook some item (perhaps soke kind of roast) and he told me he only cuts them, doesn't know jack about how to cook the stuff. I lament the passing of the days when your local butcher was an expert on everything they sold including cooking suggestions.

I can quite imagine the local markets getting big (15 pound?) tubes of ground beef and packaging it into smaller sizes... Speaking of taking trimming scraps and combining it into ground beef, I wonder how they determine the fat content. I'm pretty sure markets are required to have no more fat content than specified on the label. How do they comply with that, test it or something? Specific gravity? (I'm sure fat weighs less than meat per unit volume.) They could probably cram a calibrated volume container and weigh it, then have the machine report the fat content...

Are the stores going to use it? Well the plant shut down for two months. If you're as much a cynic as I then you'll agree they'll probably start using it agin in two months. Otherwise what are all those returned LFTB workers going to be working on?

I'd be more worried if I were eating my lunch at a school. IIRC that's where the controversy first came up, "They're feeding our children ammonia drenched beef scraps!!!"

Old 03-30-2012, 08:51 PM   #143
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I'll have to ask our meat manager how he determines the fat percentage on meat that he grinds from scraps.

The "scraps" in the big tube are already pre-measured for fat, but I'm not sure how they determine random scraps.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:07 PM   #144
Executive Chef

It will be interesting if you can find out. I googled it a few minutes and couldn't find an answer.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:18 AM   #145
Head Chef

I loved reading this thread. You people are so funny, I laughed out loud. (and informative too)

I saw this article: ASA Foods Blames 'Pink Slime' Controversy For Pushing It Into Bankruptcy

My interpretation is this: We can't sell you nothing for something, so, stomp stomp stomp. They are having a tantrum and they are going to go into bankruptcy. (next -- WE NEED A BAIL OUT TOO.)

So not unlike:
Selling chocolate with added AIR.
Fat free candy that never had fat in it to begin with.
Sugar free spice mixes that never had sugar to begin with. (yes I know about prepositions and how I abuse them)
20 years ago water was free, now it's in bad plastic that can make you sick and costs you more.

What they want is to sell unwanted beef parts--veins, eyes, noses, etc (this is not factual in any way, I'm just making it up), ground very finely to sell to you at ground roast and steak prices. AND YOU the uneducated (we want you uneducated) public wants MEAT when you buy meat. HOW DARE YOU!

I did take marketing in school but there was not a course called 'scamming the public for profit'.
If they said on the label, finely ground unwanted beef parts--and I bought it, then that is fine. But that's not what they are doing.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:26 AM   #146
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
I'll have to ask our meat manager how he determines the fat percentage on meat that he grinds from scraps.

The "scraps" in the big tube are already pre-measured for fat, but I'm not sure how they determine random scraps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
It will be interesting if you can find out. I googled it a few minutes and couldn't find an answer.
I don't know but wonder if they don't cook it down, separate the warm fat from the solids and measure them at that point? After doing that a few hundred times they could estimate the fat to meat ratio on the package, I would guess.
Don't we have any meat cutter's here that know the answer?
Old 04-03-2012, 11:41 AM   #147
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
What they want is to sell unwanted beef parts--veins, eyes, noses, etc (this is not factual in any way, I'm just making it up), ground very finely to sell to you at ground roast and steak prices. AND YOU the uneducated (we want you uneducated) public wants MEAT when you buy meat. HOW DARE YOU!
I have seen nothing to indicate that the LFTB is not meat. It was just meat that went to pet food and oils as it was considered undesirable. Calling it pink slime means people won't eat it. It really is a case of reverse marketing.

People always want the very best that can be had, but they want to pay paupers prices. It doesn't work that way. This filler allows ground meat to be sold cheaper. Now people will complain about the price increase. Food companies are not in the business to feed the world. They are in the business to make money.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:50 AM   #148
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
I have seen nothing to indicate that the LFTB is not meat. It was just meat that went to pet food and oils as it was considered undesirable. Calling it pink slime means people won't eat it. It really is a case of reverse marketing.

People always want the very best that can be had, but they want to pay paupers prices. It doesn't work that way. This filler allows ground meat to be sold cheaper. Now people will complain about the price increase. Food companies are not in the business to feed the world. They are in the business to make money.
You are correct, it is meat and it is business. I'm a consumer and I want to buy exactly what I'm paying for when I buy meat.

I love haggis too. But I want meat when I buy meat--but not that kind of meat.I want fat and roasts ground up when I buy ground beef.

Invitation: FrankZ, I'm having a big dinner tonight, would you like to come over? I'm having meat.
On Saturday I'm having a finely ground meat product of undisclosed beef parts.
On Sunday I'm having ground beef roasts with beef fat.

Which day will you be accepting my invitation?
Old 04-03-2012, 12:21 PM   #149
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Either is good.. just as long as there are no brussel sprouts... can't abide those things.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:28 PM   #150
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
Either is good.. just as long as there are no brussel sprouts... can't abide those things.
DANG now I have to think of another side dish. How are you with kimchi or honey glazed carrots?

Tags
beef