"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-03-2012, 12:33 PM   #151
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Depends on the kimchi, but I am open to trying it. Some is good, some is dreadful.

Not a huge fan of cooked carrots, but I would give em a go. Brussel sprouts, on the other hand, are the work of evil. And not the fun happy Disney kind of evil, more like the Ben Affleck starred in it kind of evil.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:41 PM   #152
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
I have seen nothing to indicate that the LFTB is not meat. It was just meat that went to pet food and oils as it was considered undesirable. Calling it pink slime means people won't eat it. It really is a case of reverse marketing.

People always want the very best that can be had, but they want to pay paupers prices. It doesn't work that way. This filler allows ground meat to be sold cheaper. Now people will complain about the price increase. Food companies are not in the business to feed the world. They are in the business to make money.
I agree with you except on one point. There is a small amount of ammonia left in the LFTB when it is added to the ground beef. That means it is not 100% meat. The FDA calls it a processing aid, so it doesn't have to be listed. If I am buying ground beef, I don't want any "processing aids" left in my meat. I'm pretty sure I don't want there to have been chemical processing involved at all.

We do seem to live in a culture that wants cheap food, but doesn't want to know why it's cheap.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:52 PM   #153
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ

I have seen nothing to indicate that the LFTB is not meat. It was just meat that went to pet food and oils as it was considered undesirable. Calling it pink slime means people won't eat it. It really is a case of reverse marketing.

People always want the very best that can be had, but they want to pay paupers prices. It doesn't work that way. This filler allows ground meat to be sold cheaper. Now people will complain about the price increase. Food companies are not in the business to feed the world. They are in the business to make money.
If people have no problem eating it, then great! I want to know what is in my food, if there is processed beef product in my ground beef, then I want it disclosed. I try to avoid processed meats when possible.

It may be perfectly fine to eat, but that's not my point, I want the label to reflect exactly what is in my food, so I can choose to avoid it if I choose. There is a reason that meat processors are fighting to keep it off the labels, many people don't want it.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:01 PM   #154
Head Chef

Quote:
Depends on the kimchi, but I am open to trying it. Some is good, some is dreadful.

Not a huge fan of cooked carrots, but I would give em a go. Brussel sprouts, on the other hand, are the work of evil. And not the fun happy Disney kind of evil, more like the Ben Affleck starred in it kind of evil.
I've heard that about kimchi, mine is dreadful, only I like it and those that eat with me.

I've also heard that brussel spouts did start WWII. It's a tragedy. The death and evil caused by this one vegetable is almost too much.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:04 PM   #155
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I agree with you except on one point. There is a small amount of ammonia left in the LFTB when it is added to the ground beef. That means it is not 100% meat. The FDA calls it a processing aid, so it doesn't have to be listed. If I am buying ground beef, I don't want any "processing aids" left in my meat. I'm pretty sure I don't want there to have been chemical processing involved at all.

We do seem to live in a culture that wants cheap food, but doesn't want to know why it's cheap.
I wonder how much silicon makes it into ground beef as well that isn't reported.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:12 PM   #156
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
If people have no problem eating it, then great! I want to know what is in my food, if there is processed beef product in my ground beef, then I want it disclosed. I try to avoid processed meats when possible.

It may be perfectly fine to eat, but that's not my point, I want the label to reflect exactly what is in my food, so I can choose to avoid it if I choose. There is a reason that meat processors are fighting to keep it off the labels, many people don't want it.
+1
Old 04-03-2012, 01:35 PM   #157
Wine Guy

Quote:
People always want the very best that can be had, but they want to pay paupers prices. It doesn't work that way. This filler allows ground meat to be sold cheaper. Now people will complain about the price increase.
Frank, to some extent this may be true, but I think the root of the "pink slime" problem is that, for many years, it has been surreptitiously added to commercial ground beef without the consumer's knowledge. Nor is there anything on the package to indicate that the meat has been treated with ammonium hydroxide. That smacks of deceptive labeling.

It may be perfectly safe but, then again, it may not. I'm not aware of any long term studies. The one thing I do know is that ammonium hydroxide is the stuff that gives hair dye its acrid odor. From what I understand pink slime smells the same way, and that's why it can only be added to ground beef in small amounts. It's unappetizing.

As for the cost savings, everything I've read indicates that the addition of pink slime only shaves pennies off the pound. Now if you give the average consumer a choice between slimed beef that costs $3.50 a pound and the same beef, sans slime, for $3.53, you have to wonder how many people are going to reach for the slimy package because it's a few cents cheaper.

There are some of us who refuse to buy supermarket beef at all. The ground beef I buy costs $7.20 a pound - about twice the supermarket cost. I don't pay pauper's prices, nor do I expect to. But I rest a little more secure in the knowledge that it comes from a farm less than 20 miles away, and that these cattle have spent their entire life there, never having seen a cramped and filthy e.coli-infested CAFO, and never given growth hormones, antibiotics, or anything else I don't want in my meat. Yes, I'm willing to pay more for what I consider to be better quality food, and I don't think I'm alone.

I also can't help but wonder if these huge agribusiness operations were to suddenly go away, and we put food production in this country back into the hands of small farmers, maybe we wouldn't all be a little healthier and better off.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:01 PM   #158
Master Chef

Site Administrator

For the average consumer I suspect they would pick up the cheaper ground beef without hesitation. People want their food cheap, especially as the economy continues to stagger.

McDonalds, on the other hand, has a very large reason for shaving a couple pennies per pound. When you go through 10's of millions of pounds a meat each year the money adds up.

Kathleen suggested I look into a local farm for our meat. She had the "local, sustainable, humane" etc type thinking on it. They wanted $9.99/lb for pork shoulder. No. Not going to happen. I have no desire to pay for the pigs psychiatrist bills and Egyptian cotton linen.

I suspect the ammonia treatment is used far more than anyone really understands. As I understand it it kills the little beasties that make you sick (E Coli and such). I would think that if a processor happens to have a tenderloin drop into the muck during processing it gets a wash and gas, not tossed out.

In the end I don't have the time to grow or raise all our food and process it myself, nor do I have a desire to. I can't afford to only buy the finest of everything either. We have to make compromises. I do ask my food not kill me when I eat it, which means it isn't hiding little things in it like E Coli and Salmonella. If the only way to get to that is gas it then that is what needs doing.

I do think the real effect of this is people who don't care what is in there. They will end up paying more. People who buy whole pieces of meat to make ground beef are only really going to be effected because the overall price of beef will inch up a notch.

I happily ate at McDonalds and Burger before, I will continue to do so. I will also happily buy chuck roasts when I need ground beef and grind them myself (tis fun afterall). I am not going to start raising my own cows, nor am I likely to buy a full butchered cow any time soon.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:07 PM   #159
Chef Extraordinaire

So Frank, do you think that it is right for them not to tell us? That's what the big meat companies want - the right not to tell us what's in/been done to our meat.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:17 PM   #160
Head Chef

Quote:
For the average consumer I suspect they would pick up the cheaper ground beef without hesitation. People want their food cheap, especially as the economy continues to stagger.

McDonalds, on the other hand, has a very large reason for shaving a couple pennies per pound. When you go through 10's of millions of pounds a meat each year the money adds up.

Kathleen suggested I look into a local farm for our meat. She had the "local, sustainable, humane" etc type thinking on it. They wanted $9.99/lb for pork shoulder. No. Not going to happen. I have no desire to pay for the pigs psychiatrist bills and Egyptian cotton linen.

I suspect the ammonia treatment is used far more than anyone really understands. As I understand it it kills the little beasties that make you sick (E Coli and such). I would think that if a processor happens to have a tenderloin drop into the muck during processing it gets a wash and gas, not tossed out.

In the end I don't have the time to grow or raise all our food and process it myself, nor do I have a desire to. I can't afford to only buy the finest of everything either. We have to make compromises. I do ask my food not kill me when I eat it, which means it isn't hiding little things in it like E Coli and Salmonella. If the only way to get to that is gas it then that is what needs doing.

I do think the real effect of this is people who don't care what is in there. They will end up paying more. People who buy whole pieces of meat to make ground beef are only really going to be effected because the overall price of beef will inch up a notch.

I happily ate at McDonalds and Burger before, I will continue to do so. I will also happily buy chuck roasts when I need ground beef and grind them myself (tis fun afterall). I am not going to start raising my own cows, nor am I likely to buy a full butchered cow any time soon.
I just bought half a beef.
At less than 9$ / lb!!! (by a long shot)
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...cow-52922.html

Occam's razor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The simplest explanation for this new distrust of the available ground beef is this: it's lying.

No disrespect to anyone here.

Tags
beef