Ground Beef Stinks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
from what i've read, pink slime is not ground up inedible parts of the cow. it's muscle meat just like the larger parts of the cow we consider good to eat, but it requires more processing to extract the smaller bits from skin, bones, joints, and tendons, and is then treated with ammonia (and probably other things) to make sure it's completely safe to eat. maybe not tasty, but safe.
because of all of this processing, it ends up looking like pink slime.

i'm not really interested in eating the stuff, but if i was really hungry and the only thing i had was a 15% pink slime burger, i wouldn't turn it down.

my only concern is that i know that it's being put in a product so i have the choice to eat it or not.

greg, that's a neat experiment, i'd love to try to cook some up by itself just to see how it would turn out.

slime balls and spaghetti, slime loaf, swedish slime balls, slime-isbury steak, slime bourguignon, stir fry slime, etc... :chef:

my only concern is that i know that it's being put in a product so i have the choice to eat it or not.
I would bet that if they did that, most people wouldn't complain. That's my biggest beef (pun intended) - just the fact that they hid it from people for so long.

...oh... and the fact that it's AMMONIA. :blink:

slime balls and spaghetti, slime loaf, swedish slime balls, slime-isbury steak, slime bourguignon, stir fry slime, etc... :chef:
:LOL:

yeah, i'd heard of that.

wait a minute. carbon monoxide is only poisonous if you try to breathe it.

now steve, i know you like your steaks and burgers but you're not supposed to inhale them no matter how hungry you are... :rolleyes:

Caslon said:
Is there pink slime in Slim Jims? Probably. About 100 million pounds I'm guessing.
:LOL: I'm not so sure there's any actual meat in those things. But they're SO good. I still eat 'em, mostly on road trips.

My mouth is watering, slim jims. No sarcasm, love them, and I bet they are 70% c*ap and 29% meat and 1% spices, herbs and additives. So bad for you and yet SO good.

I see three major issues here.

1. Chemicals used in processing--ammonia and now carbon monoxide (some people are taking this as an issue and it is an issue)

2. Marketing, call it PS Pink Slime, or filler or whatever (FrankZ, I see you taking issue with it, and it is an issue)

3. Honesty, getting what I paid for. When I get meat, I want meat. This is the part that I take issue.

I think we all have good points. There are good ideas here too--too many to mention, dna testing, slime burgers....

Let's all go out for burgers, eat some jello made from horses hooves, strip out my kitchen floor with ammonia so I can rewax it.
I'm not trying to make a point. I'm just hungry for a slim jim.:LOL::LOL:

from what i've read, pink slime is not ground up inedible parts of the cow. it's muscle meat just like the larger parts of the cow we consider good to eat, but it requires more processing to extract the smaller bits from skin, bones, joints, and tendons, and is then treated with ammonia (and probably other things) to make sure it's completely safe to eat. maybe not tasty, but safe.
because of all of this processing, it ends up looking like pink slime.

i'm not really interested in eating the stuff, but if i was really hungry and the only thing i had was a 15% pink slime burger, i wouldn't turn it down.

greg, that's a neat experiment, i'd love to try to cook some up by itself just to see how it would turn out.

Thank you for the reply. It would be interesting if there were some venue where we the public could purchase pink slime, and do our own analysis, experiments, and maybe concoct recipes from it, for experimental basis or for real.

I think one of the PR problems here is that they're trying to hide "pink slime" from the public and pretend it doesn't exist. They want it to be some deep, dark, "industry only" secret.

Um, guys, your "industry only" secret didn't work.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom