Ground Beef Stinks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Claire, I didn't mean to suggest that I would act as a smartass. That was a poor choice of words on my part, I meant more of like just joking around in a good natured way.

My bad!

That's how I took it, but then I am one of you...I've worked with the public all my life, they all enjoy a bright spot in their day.

Can anyone say if 3 major grocery chains in the US, Vons (Safeway), Ralph's, or Albertsons will oblige someone wanting fresh ground hamburger made up from a selected cut of beef? I doubt it.

If you want to attempt it, get to the store before most meat department supervisors leave, around 2:00 in the afternoon, from my experience. Anyone else in the department won't do it.

Last edited:
Can anyone say if 3 major grocery chains in the US, Vons (Safeway), Ralph's, or Albertsons will oblige someone wanting fresh ground hamburger made up from a selected cut of beef? I doubt it.

If you want to attempt it, get to the store before most meat department supervisors leave, around 2:00 in the afternoon, from my experience. Anyone else in the department won't do it.

The best you would expect is to pick a package of meat that you want ground and have the meat department grind it and then stick on the original price tag. You're not going to expect any better price but wouldn't expect to be charged an additional fee to grind it.

And after 2 p.m.? You're lucky to find anything in the meat department that isn't over about 35-40 degrees F. Nor the same in IQ.

The best you would expect is to pick a package of meat that you want ground and have the meat department grind it and then stick on the original price tag. You're not going to expect any better price but wouldn't expect to be charged an additional fee to grind it.

And after 2 p.m.? You're lucky to find anything in the meat department that isn't over about 35-40 degrees F. Nor the same in IQ.

Ya, heh. I was a little surprised that most meat department managers are gone by fairly early in the day. They're probably there really really early in the morning, set the days agenda for the others, then they're gone for the day. I'd say get to meat department by no later than 10:00 AM to speak to a meat manager.

Last edited:
Well... Think about how much intellectually interesting it would be running a meat department. Do you blame them for going home at 2 p.m.?

Well... Think about how much intellectually interesting it would be running a meat department. Do you blame them for going home at 2 p.m.?

Haha, but you know what? You could be working 8 hour days as a regular and have the drive to go from worker to manager. Guess what? You work less hours as a manager, but with added responsibility , and with added pressures to make up for the pay you were making as a general type loyal worker. Not everyone aspires to go from worker to being a manager. I can sorta see why. It's make or break time. You make and work less than you did before, but with added incentives that you meet or don't meet.

I didn't intend to turn this into a business type discussion. I just wanted to say not every store worker who has a chance to advance from worker to manager wants to.

Last edited:
I haven't run into gristle in ground beef in years, but I remember when I was a kid it was common. Mom would pick up a package (5 lbs I think) of ground beef, hand it to the commissary butcher, and have it re-ground. That pretty much took care of the problem.

Claire, I didn't mean to suggest that I would act as a smartass. That was a poor choice of words on my part, I meant more of like just joking around in a good natured way.

My bad!

Yeah, I really did not think you'd be rude; people like that aren't on DC!

I don't hardly use ground meat anymore because the bits of gristle are just gross and off-putting.

I used to tolerate it but I can't anymore.

I use chicken in just about everything nowadays because I know there won't be any unpleasant surprises but I would like to enjoy a slice of meatloaf every once in a while.

Any ideas?

ground beef is delicious! i'd rather ear ground beef than chicken. chicken is gross. my opinion. you can do a lot with ground beef.

FrankZ: what is that gorgeous red machine? details please? Is it just a meat processor, or is it also a bread kneader? I can't see too clearly, got up at 3AM again.....drat!

FrankZ: what is that gorgeous red machine? details please? Is it just a meat processor, or is it also a bread kneader? I can't see too clearly, got up at 3AM again.....drat!

That is Lucillee. She is a stunning example of the KA Pro600 and does many different things for me. She grinds meat, she crushed fruit, she slice, she shreds, and she make my dough. She has even stuffed sausage for me.

And she does it all without complaint.

That is Lucillee. She is a stunning example of the KA Pro600 and does many different things for me. She grinds meat, she crushed fruit, she slice, she shreds, and she make my dough. She has even stuffed sausage for me.

And she does it all without complaint.

Just be careful she doesn't do a cliff dive into the nearest porcelain receptacle.

Frank - you really need to get Lucille some bling. Maybe a nice set of earrings?

Frank, I'm not sure it's even worth the trouble to seek higher authority in a store. Honestly I don't use hamburger all that much. Sometimes I buy "buffalo" burger, sometimes I just buy what's in the meat case, sometimes I trim my own steak and give it a quick run through my food processor. If I were using hamburger all the time I might go to some effort but more often than not I cook things that don't have any relevance to hamburger. In fact off hand hamburgers are the only thing I can think of where I use ground beef.

I had the same problem with whole chickens. They didn't have any halves and I wanted them to saw a whole one in half for me. "We don't want to clean the saw for just one chicken." I ended up getting a cleaver and between that and my shears I prefer my cutting my own whole chickens now anyway, I always buy them whole whole and either cut them in half or do that thing where you make them lay flat like road kill. :)

Do you leave tire marks on them? :LOL:

No mam, them there's grill marks! :)

I was talking about that thing where you flatten out but I can't remember the popular name for the procedure. IIRC I first discovered that reading the Cooking with Julia and Jacques cookbook, and thought it was really neat! In many cases it's easier to cook a whole chicken when it's flat... (unless you're stuffing it). :)

Heh, heh, heh, roadkill chicken! I should look into ways to leave authentic looking tire mark shaped grill marks on them. :D

Gourmet Greg said:
No mam, them there's grill marks! :)

I was talking about that thing where you flatten out but I can't remember the popular name for the procedure. IIRC I first discovered that reading the Cooking with Julia and Jacques cookbook, and thought it was really neat! In many cases it's easier to cook a whole chicken when it's flat... (unless you're stuffing it). :)

Heh, heh, heh, roadkill chicken! I should look into ways to leave authentic looking tire mark shaped grill marks on them. :D

Is the term "spatchcock" ?

Any butcher, at your request, should be happy and willing to grind whatever meat you provide them with. Go to their case, get a piece of chuck, ask them to grind it, done and done.

Way back in the thread. . . it is a common practice. If your butcher won't do it for you, then tell him/her to kick rocks, and go elsewhere.

Sometimes there is no elsewhere. Sometimes you have to either take what you get or do it yourself. Even in the big bad city of Los Angeles our supermarkets Von's, Ralphs and Albertson's often tell us they just can't do it, too much cleaning the machine for just one order and just for the FDA. Nevermind Gelsons, they just closed their NW SFV store even with their $20/lb. steaks. Even when you charge that much you can't afford to clean the machine for just one customer.

Better to get your own grinder or use a food processor.

That was a mind blower Gelson's closing. I had thought their $20/lb steaks were just proof of my failure. Now that they've closed I can see the $20/lb steaks were proof of their failure! Ah, perspective...

BTW "Ralphs" is with no apostrophe. It was founded by a guy whose last name is Ralphs. Technically I suppose the market name is Ralphs' (for grammarians, but not for marketeers). AKA Kroger's in many markets and cities...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom