"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-02-2012, 07:07 AM   #81
Executive Chef
 
bakechef's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,084
We have a "Lowes Foods" no apostrophe. In the beginning the founders of Lowe's Home improvement and Lowes Foods were related, I'm not sure why one had an apostrophe and one didn't.
__________________

__________________
I'm Bloggin'

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:11 AM   #82
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: here
Posts: 3,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
We have a "Lowes Foods" no apostrophe. In the beginning the founders of Lowe's Home improvement and Lowes Foods were related, I'm not sure why one had an apostrophe and one didn't.
Maybe they were previously married and the apostrophe was part of the divorce settlement...
__________________

__________________
Greg Who Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:15 PM   #83
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
Maybe they were previously married and the apostrophe was part of the divorce settlement...

Ah the "Great Fire" (shhhhh, we never say the divorce settlement)--I lost the blender in the 'great fire', he got the canning jars in the 'great fire'. She got the periods while he got the apostrophes.
I've met people after they've been through the "Great Fire". You can always tell when reading their posts as they've lost all punctuation marks and the ability to use capitalization! It's not fair I tell you.

I love my Kitchen Aid mixer with grinding attachment. I call mine Frank. Well, not really--I haven't really named him.
__________________
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:43 PM   #84
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post

Ah the "Great Fire" (shhhhh, we never say the divorce settlement)--I lost the blender in the 'great fire', he got the canning jars in the 'great fire'. She got the periods while he got the apostrophes.
I've met people after they've been through the "Great Fire". You can always tell when reading their posts as they've lost all punctuation marks and the ability to use capitalization! It's not fair I tell you.

I love my Kitchen Aid mixer with grinding attachment. I call mine Frank. Well, not really--I haven't really named him.
There is nothing wrong with namng the items in our home. After all we do it for husbands. I call my Steamer "Hot Stuff." And I can't repeat some of the names for husbands. This is after all a family friendly forum.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 05:49 PM   #85
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
There is nothing wrong with namng the items in our home. After all we do it for husbands. I call my Steamer "Hot Stuff." And I can't repeat some of the names for husbands. This is after all a family friendly forum.
Tomorrow--I'm opening 4 lbs of hamburger. I'm going to give it a good sniff test and look at the texture then make 12 hamburgers for another birthday celebration.

It's going to be crispy fried onions, sauteed mushrooms, colby cheese slices, fresh tomato slices, romaine lettuce, ketchup, mustard, sweet and dill pickle relish and then some store bought buns. Fire up the grill and let's have hamburgers!

I haven't come up with any good names for my ex husband. I wonder what happened to him, our son turned 21 yesterday, and we didn't hear a peep from him. That would be about 3 solid years of no peep. 30 years of not talking. That would be peepless. I used to say mute, my mute.
__________________
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 05:53 PM   #86
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,390
I used to refer to my Ex as "B1" as she was the number one B**** in my life. No I just don't refer to her at all. Maybe, "She whose name must never be spoken" is a better choice.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:22 PM   #87
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Maybe, "She whose name must never be spoken" is a better choice.
I like that one! You are talking about Moldywart, right--something close to that?

Once, I heard, from a friend, that everyone is someone else's weirdo. I think that is probably true. I'm his weirdo, he's mine. I'm overcome with nausea, I have no idea why!
__________________
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:40 PM   #88
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
Tomorrow--I'm opening 4 lbs of hamburger. I'm going to give it a good sniff test and look at the texture then make 12 hamburgers for another birthday celebration.

It's going to be crispy fried onions, sauteed mushrooms, colby cheese slices, fresh tomato slices, romaine lettuce, ketchup, mustard, sweet and dill pickle relish and then some store bought buns. Fire up the grill and let's have hamburgers!
Massachusetts has looked into the 'pink slime.' Starting next fall, it will no longer be part of Bostons' School cafeteria lunches. I am so glad I always packed a lunch for my kids. This is not the first problem with the food found in our school lunches. Think your child is getting real orange juice? Take a look at the ingredients. Mostly chemicals and powdered orange dust. The same junk that they serve in the hospital. Fortunately, our schools are taking a second look at what they are serving our children. And I am becoming more selective with what I put in my shopping cart. I have become an avid label reader.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:59 PM   #89
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Massachusetts has looked into the 'pink slime.' Starting next fall, it will no longer be part of Bostons' School cafeteria lunches. I am so glad I always packed a lunch for my kids. This is not the first problem with the food found in our school lunches. Think your child is getting real orange juice? Take a look at the ingredients. Mostly chemicals and powdered orange dust. The same junk that they serve in the hospital. Fortunately, our schools are taking a second look at what they are serving our children. And I am becoming more selective with what I put in my shopping cart. I have become an avid label reader.
I absolutely agree with you on the pink slime issue, which I've been reading about.
My ground beef, is labeled 'ground beef'--it has the dept of agriculture approval on it. Do you know what it means? I don't.

I don't buy orange juice, I only buy oranges.
__________________
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:12 PM   #90
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
I absolutely agree with you on the pink slime issue, which I've been reading about.
My ground beef, is labeled 'ground beef'--it has the dept of agriculture approval on it. Do you know what it means? I don't.

I don't buy orange juice, I only buy oranges.
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headline...ime-free-beef/

An interesting read and not too long. It list stores that do not have pink slime in their ground meat.
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
beef

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.