"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-02-2012, 07:07 AM   #81
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

We have a "Lowes Foods" no apostrophe. In the beginning the founders of Lowe's Home improvement and Lowes Foods were related, I'm not sure why one had an apostrophe and one didn't.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:11 AM   #82
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
We have a "Lowes Foods" no apostrophe. In the beginning the founders of Lowe's Home improvement and Lowes Foods were related, I'm not sure why one had an apostrophe and one didn't.
Maybe they were previously married and the apostrophe was part of the divorce settlement...

Old 03-16-2012, 04:15 PM   #83
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
Maybe they were previously married and the apostrophe was part of the divorce settlement...

Ah the "Great Fire" (shhhhh, we never say the divorce settlement)--I lost the blender in the 'great fire', he got the canning jars in the 'great fire'. She got the periods while he got the apostrophes.
I've met people after they've been through the "Great Fire". You can always tell when reading their posts as they've lost all punctuation marks and the ability to use capitalization! It's not fair I tell you.

I love my Kitchen Aid mixer with grinding attachment. I call mine Frank. Well, not really--I haven't really named him.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:43 PM   #84
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post

Ah the "Great Fire" (shhhhh, we never say the divorce settlement)--I lost the blender in the 'great fire', he got the canning jars in the 'great fire'. She got the periods while he got the apostrophes.
I've met people after they've been through the "Great Fire". You can always tell when reading their posts as they've lost all punctuation marks and the ability to use capitalization! It's not fair I tell you.

I love my Kitchen Aid mixer with grinding attachment. I call mine Frank. Well, not really--I haven't really named him.
There is nothing wrong with namng the items in our home. After all we do it for husbands. I call my Steamer "Hot Stuff." And I can't repeat some of the names for husbands. This is after all a family friendly forum.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:49 PM   #85
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
There is nothing wrong with namng the items in our home. After all we do it for husbands. I call my Steamer "Hot Stuff." And I can't repeat some of the names for husbands. This is after all a family friendly forum.
Tomorrow--I'm opening 4 lbs of hamburger. I'm going to give it a good sniff test and look at the texture then make 12 hamburgers for another birthday celebration.

It's going to be crispy fried onions, sauteed mushrooms, colby cheese slices, fresh tomato slices, romaine lettuce, ketchup, mustard, sweet and dill pickle relish and then some store bought buns. Fire up the grill and let's have hamburgers!

I haven't come up with any good names for my ex husband. I wonder what happened to him, our son turned 21 yesterday, and we didn't hear a peep from him. That would be about 3 solid years of no peep. 30 years of not talking. That would be peepless. I used to say mute, my mute.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:53 PM   #86
Certified Pretend Chef

I used to refer to my Ex as "B1" as she was the number one B**** in my life. No I just don't refer to her at all. Maybe, "She whose name must never be spoken" is a better choice.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:22 PM   #87
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Maybe, "She whose name must never be spoken" is a better choice.
I like that one! You are talking about Moldywart, right--something close to that?

Once, I heard, from a friend, that everyone is someone else's weirdo. I think that is probably true. I'm his weirdo, he's mine. I'm overcome with nausea, I have no idea why!
Old 03-16-2012, 06:40 PM   #88
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Tomorrow--I'm opening 4 lbs of hamburger. I'm going to give it a good sniff test and look at the texture then make 12 hamburgers for another birthday celebration.

It's going to be crispy fried onions, sauteed mushrooms, colby cheese slices, fresh tomato slices, romaine lettuce, ketchup, mustard, sweet and dill pickle relish and then some store bought buns. Fire up the grill and let's have hamburgers!
Massachusetts has looked into the 'pink slime.' Starting next fall, it will no longer be part of Bostons' School cafeteria lunches. I am so glad I always packed a lunch for my kids. This is not the first problem with the food found in our school lunches. Think your child is getting real orange juice? Take a look at the ingredients. Mostly chemicals and powdered orange dust. The same junk that they serve in the hospital. Fortunately, our schools are taking a second look at what they are serving our children. And I am becoming more selective with what I put in my shopping cart. I have become an avid label reader.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:59 PM   #89
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Massachusetts has looked into the 'pink slime.' Starting next fall, it will no longer be part of Bostons' School cafeteria lunches. I am so glad I always packed a lunch for my kids. This is not the first problem with the food found in our school lunches. Think your child is getting real orange juice? Take a look at the ingredients. Mostly chemicals and powdered orange dust. The same junk that they serve in the hospital. Fortunately, our schools are taking a second look at what they are serving our children. And I am becoming more selective with what I put in my shopping cart. I have become an avid label reader.
I absolutely agree with you on the pink slime issue, which I've been reading about.
My ground beef, is labeled 'ground beef'--it has the dept of agriculture approval on it. Do you know what it means? I don't.

I don't buy orange juice, I only buy oranges.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:12 PM   #90
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I absolutely agree with you on the pink slime issue, which I've been reading about.
My ground beef, is labeled 'ground beef'--it has the dept of agriculture approval on it. Do you know what it means? I don't.

I don't buy orange juice, I only buy oranges.
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headline...ime-free-beef/

An interesting read and not too long. It list stores that do not have pink slime in their ground meat.

Tags
beef