Ground Beef Stinks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree with Andy, that you are mixing that surface contamination into the inside of the burger, which won't get the same level of heat as the outside.

On the other hand, if you grind the meat immediately prior to cooking the burger, there will be far fewer micro-organisms than in the store bought ground beef. Once it is ground, it has far more "surface" area on which to grow.

I just hate that we have to treat our food as though it were medical waste.

I cut out as much of the fat as I can without being compulsive.

Might explain why they cook faster, Frank.

As it sits, chuck is the perfect burger meat. Depending on specific cut, it has a 15/85 or 20/80 fat to lean content. When you trim out much of the fat, you have to cook the burgers for less time to keep them from drying out and overcooking.

Comparing like for like they still cook faster. When I buy the 93/7 versus grinding my own.

Except that I don't own a grinder.

Sooooo, what should I ask for when I visit the meat counter at my local Kroger?

And do they like smart ass customers?

Select a nice chuck roast (which sometimes is cheaper than ground chuck) and ask the butcher to grind it for you to your liking. (I use to ask that he remove some of the fat and any boingies and give it a grind for burgers.)

Select a nice chuck roast (which sometimes is cheaper than ground chuck) and ask the butcher to grind it for you to your liking. (I use to ask that he remove some of the fat and any boingies and give it a grind for burgers.)

I'll try that. Honestly, I've never actually asked anyone in the meat department to trim or grind a cut of meat.

I usually give the selection a good once-over and if I see something I like, I'll buy it but if not, I just keep moving on.

Kathleen said:

I'll have to do that. I buy whole loins on sale and cut my own chops and steaks, though the meat guy offers to do that for me. I like to cut my own, as they weigh and price the meat pre-cut, and charge me for the scraps they cut off and keep. Having them grind a chuck roast sounds like a great idea!

I'll have to do that. I buy whole loins on sale and cut my own chops and steaks, though the meat guy offers to do that for me. I like to cut my own, as they weigh and price the meat pre-cut, and charge me for the scraps they cut off and keep. Having them grind a chuck roast sounds like a great idea!

They should be giving you the scraps, Dawg! That is good for making pork chili, but since you are paying for it, it belongs to you! I would insist.

PrincessFiona60 said:
They should be giving you the scraps, Dawg! That is good for making pork chili, but since you are paying for it, it belongs to you! I would insist.

I think so too! I don't bother asking anymore. When they ask me how I want it cut up, I tell them just wrap it up and I'll take it home whole. I really enjoy cutting up and packaging a whole pork or beef loin.

so many questions need to be asked:
what quality meat am I buying? where am I buying it? what is their source?, how is that meat raised, slaughtered etc.

If you live near a local "green" meat raiser or a good butcher (kosher, halal, or just real old fashioned meat guy) you can get safe product and cook it as you like.

If you are buying from the supermarket meat counter (a few still exist) there is one quality and from the bulk bin another. What goes into the pre made frozen items is anyone's guess.

I buy the fancier for my burgers cooked med rare and the cheaper for sauces and chili etc.

Search out your options.

I usually buy ground beef at Costco. I actually get the stuff that is already shaped into patties. It's easier for me to wrap each of those patties and freeze them that way. I have never had any issues with their ground beef. It is always fresh and free from yucky bits. My only complaint is that it is leaner than I would like. I have to add fat if I want to make sausage that isn't dry.

I hadn't even given this any thought, but now that the subject has been brought up, I realize that the ground beef I have been buying (even the chubs) doesn't have that problem. Interesting. The only time I seem to bite into any gristle in ground beef is when I get a fast food burger, taco, or burrito, or in a frozen meal that has ground beef in it. :wacko:

P.S. I'm not saying it has never happened, but it is rare.

I have found difficulty getting my supermarket meat department (Ralphs AKA Krogers) to do anything custom for me because "We have to clean our equipment every time we change from beef to chicken to pork etc. and it's too much trouble for just one order." FDA regulations and all that. Yeah, I was not a happy customer.

The next time I just cut my meat up into large chunks and ran it through my food processor. Maybe I'll get a meat grinder one day.

I like my hand crank grinder better than the one on my KA. I feel like I have more control and I don't have to jump around like a rabid hyena to keep it going.

PrincessFiona60 said:
I like my hand crank grinder better than the one on my KA. I feel like I have more control and I don't have to jump around like a rabid hyena to keep it going.

I remember watching my mom's hand crank grinder as a little kid. It's been gone for many years, but it was fascinating to watch her put all the stuff through it.

I have found difficulty getting my supermarket meat department (Ralphs AKA Krogers) to do anything custom for me because "We have to clean our equipment every time we change from beef to chicken to pork etc. and it's too much trouble for just one order." FDA regulations and all that. Yeah, I was not a happy customer.

The next time I just cut my meat up into large chunks and ran it through my food processor. Maybe I'll get a meat grinder one day.
I wonder if it is just the people in the meat department who say it is too much trouble for one order, or if that is store policy. I would talk to the store manager about it. Are there any other stores in the area?

In my store they will custom grind beef, but that's it. Company policy as well as the health department, won't allow any other meats put through the machine without a complete tear down and sanitize, which is a big job, because the machine is huge!

Most stores run short handed to cut labor as much as possible, and doing multiple tear downs in a day would be stressful for the worker and put them behind on their regular duties.

All other meats come pre-ground.

A friend of mine gets her meat ground, by going in on the right day. She found out what day of the week they grind chicken, what day beef, etc. Then she buys her beef or chicken or whatever on the right day and they are happy to it some for her.

In my store they will custom grind beef, but that's it. Company policy as well as the health department, won't allow any other meats put through the machine without a complete tear down and sanitize, which is a big job, because the machine is huge!

That was the explanation. Each time they do any meat, poultry, anything, they set up for a run and do all their packages, then they tear down and clean up the machines to be ready for the next run. If they did one package for me they'd have to do a complete tear down for me too, unless coincidentally they had been intending to do a full run of exactly what I asked for.

This is the big city. You don't get personal service in supermarkets. You have to go to a butcher if you expect to have anything done expressly just for you.

Greg,

One day I went to the deli department at my local grocery store to get cheese. I wanted a pound block of cheddar and a pound block of something else. The girl behind the counter could not figure out how to take 4-5 pounds blocks and get 1 pound out of it as the deli slicer wouldn't go that thick. I had to clue her into the new technology of a knife.

She cut a block and tossed it onto the scale. It was too small. She wanted to just add another chunk, I told her I wanted a pound block, not two small blocks. Over and over she whacked at the block, and every time she wasn't close.

She was throwing the cheese across the deli and muttering under her breath. Finally she got the two blocks cut (well, hacked) to the right size. As I was walking away she was picking cheese off the floor and telling someone else about how "that man just wasted all this cheese". Of course I didn't throw it, I didn't cut (hack) it too small.

I went to the front and talked to the store manager (the actual head guy, not someone who is a "manager"). He was nice, he was polite, he was apologetic, he told me they should be able to handle a request like this without worry (and they had in the past with a pound block of ham).

He then offered to buy my cheese for me. That was above what I expected, but I was kind enough to allow him to do this as it seemed to mean a lot to him. :)

In the end I cut the pound block into pieces (of the size and shape I wanted, mostly, it was tough with the hacked up shape) and cold smoked it.

You may wish to speak to someone with more authority and see what can be done. Sometimes the fella that has to do the work doesn't want to, and he will cite "rules" that really don't exist.*

*that was pretty long winded to get to that last bit. :mrgreen:

i asked for a hand cranked meat grinder with sausage attachment for christmas but i must have been on the naughty list. it was a really heavy duty cast metal one for only about $30, so i guess i'll be treating myself to a gift the next time i go to the hunting/fishing store where i saw it.

as far as grinding my own beef for burgers, i think i'm going to do a shabu shabu thing (dipping in boiling water) before grinding to help make it safer for my family to eat rare. i'm not sure if it will work, but it's worth a shot.

Back
Top Bottom