Ground Beef Stinks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We have a "Lowes Foods" no apostrophe. In the beginning the founders of Lowe's Home improvement and Lowes Foods were related, I'm not sure why one had an apostrophe and one didn't.

We have a "Lowes Foods" no apostrophe. In the beginning the founders of Lowe's Home improvement and Lowes Foods were related, I'm not sure why one had an apostrophe and one didn't.

Maybe they were previously married and the apostrophe was part of the divorce settlement... ;)

Last edited:
Maybe they were previously married and the apostrophe was part of the divorce settlement... ;)

:LOL::LOL::LOL:
Ah the "Great Fire" (shhhhh, we never say the divorce settlement)--I lost the blender in the 'great fire', he got the canning jars in the 'great fire'. She got the periods while he got the apostrophes.:LOL:
I've met people after they've been through the "Great Fire". You can always tell when reading their posts as they've lost all punctuation marks and the ability to use capitalization! It's not fair I tell you.:LOL:

I love my Kitchen Aid mixer with grinding attachment. I call mine Frank.:ohmy: Well, not really--I haven't really named him.

:LOL::LOL::LOL:
Ah the "Great Fire" (shhhhh, we never say the divorce settlement)--I lost the blender in the 'great fire', he got the canning jars in the 'great fire'. She got the periods while he got the apostrophes.:LOL:
I've met people after they've been through the "Great Fire". You can always tell when reading their posts as they've lost all punctuation marks and the ability to use capitalization! It's not fair I tell you.:LOL:

I love my Kitchen Aid mixer with grinding attachment. I call mine Frank.:ohmy: Well, not really--I haven't really named him.

There is nothing wrong with namng the items in our home. After all we do it for husbands. I call my Steamer "Hot Stuff." And I can't repeat some of the names for husbands. This is after all a family friendly forum. :ohmy:

There is nothing wrong with namng the items in our home. After all we do it for husbands. I call my Steamer "Hot Stuff." And I can't repeat some of the names for husbands. This is after all a family friendly forum. :ohmy:

Tomorrow--I'm opening 4 lbs of hamburger. I'm going to give it a good sniff test and look at the texture then make 12 hamburgers for another birthday celebration.

It's going to be crispy fried onions, sauteed mushrooms, colby cheese slices, fresh tomato slices, romaine lettuce, ketchup, mustard, sweet and dill pickle relish and then some store bought buns. Fire up the grill and let's have hamburgers!

I haven't come up with any good names for my ex husband. I wonder what happened to him, our son turned 21 yesterday, and we didn't hear a peep from him. That would be about 3 solid years of no peep. 30 years of not talking. That would be peepless. I used to say mute, my mute.

I used to refer to my Ex as "B1" as she was the number one B**** in my life. No I just don't refer to her at all. Maybe, "She whose name must never be spoken" is a better choice.

Maybe, "She whose name must never be spoken" is a better choice.

I like that one! You are talking about Moldywart, right--something close to that?;)

Once, I heard, from a friend, that everyone is someone else's weirdo. I think that is probably true. I'm his weirdo, he's mine.:sick: I'm overcome with nausea, I have no idea why!

Tomorrow--I'm opening 4 lbs of hamburger. I'm going to give it a good sniff test and look at the texture then make 12 hamburgers for another birthday celebration.

It's going to be crispy fried onions, sauteed mushrooms, colby cheese slices, fresh tomato slices, romaine lettuce, ketchup, mustard, sweet and dill pickle relish and then some store bought buns. Fire up the grill and let's have hamburgers!

Massachusetts has looked into the 'pink slime.' Starting next fall, it will no longer be part of Bostons' School cafeteria lunches. I am so glad I always packed a lunch for my kids. This is not the first problem with the food found in our school lunches. Think your child is getting real orange juice? Take a look at the ingredients. Mostly chemicals and powdered orange dust. The same junk that they serve in the hospital. Fortunately, our schools are taking a second look at what they are serving our children. And I am becoming more selective with what I put in my shopping cart. I have become an avid label reader. :chef:

Massachusetts has looked into the 'pink slime.' Starting next fall, it will no longer be part of Bostons' School cafeteria lunches. I am so glad I always packed a lunch for my kids. This is not the first problem with the food found in our school lunches. Think your child is getting real orange juice? Take a look at the ingredients. Mostly chemicals and powdered orange dust. The same junk that they serve in the hospital. Fortunately, our schools are taking a second look at what they are serving our children. And I am becoming more selective with what I put in my shopping cart. I have become an avid label reader. :chef:

I absolutely agree with you on the pink slime issue, which I've been reading about.
My ground beef, is labeled 'ground beef'--it has the dept of agriculture approval on it. Do you know what it means? I don't.

I don't buy orange juice, I only buy oranges.

I have a meat grinder for my KA and I buy a good cut of chuck and grind that. I never buy ground 'beef' at the supermarket. You never really know what you are getting. Most of the time it is the leftover trimmings from that days' work in the back room. :ermm:

I have a meat grinder for my KA and I buy a good cut of chuck and grind that. I never buy ground 'beef' at the supermarket. You never really know what you are getting. Most of the time it is the leftover trimmings from that days' work in the back room. :ermm:

I bought a half a beef--I just don't know what the USDA label means or what 'ground beef' means. Not from a supermarket, from a butcher.

I bought a half a beef--I just don't know what the USDA label means or what 'ground beef' means. Not from a supermarket, from a butcher.

My guess would be that you are not getting pink slime. It is used mostly in large supermarkets.

Unless I get it on special, chuck costs about $10/kg (~$4.54/lb). All the chuck we see is blade roast, blade steak, and European blade roast or steak. I don't think they have started using pink slime in Canada. Crossing my fingers.

It sort of sounds like you're going to use it whether it passes the sniff test or not! :) (I'm sure you meant to imply you'd use something else otherwise.)

Sounds good!!! Particularly the crispy fried onions and the sauteed mushrooms! :yum:

I haven't come up with any good names for my ex husband. I wonder what happened to him, our son turned 21 yesterday, and we didn't hear a peep from him. That would be about 3 solid years of no peep. 30 years of not talking. That would be peepless. I used to say mute, my mute.

I'm sure this is off topic but I'm trying to wrap my mind around the concept that you and ex haven't talked for 30 years and yet son is just now 21. That must have been a very strange 9 years... ;)

I absolutely agree with you on the pink slime issue, which I've been reading about. My ground beef, is labeled 'ground beef'--it has the dept of agriculture approval on it. Do you know what it means? I don't.

Just note, "pink slime" legally qualifies as ground beef. It comes from real cows. That's the big problem about "pink slime," that the manufacturer does not have to disclose that PS is added to the product.

Also noting, I first heard about "pink slime" here at DC about 7-10 days ago, and it just made the ABC news in the last 1-2 days. I mean this as a compliment to DC forum and its members. :)

It sort of sounds like you're going to use it whether it passes the sniff test or not! :) (I'm sure you meant to imply you'd use something else otherwise.)

actually I've had 4 lbs of it already and it was great--though I didn't look at it in a microscope or magnifying glass.

this is off topic but I'm trying to wrap my mind around the concept that you and ex haven't talked for 30 years and yet son is just now 21. That must have been a very strange 9 years... ;)
He was married to his job and mute while at home while we were together for 18 years. He did not talk. He did not move his mouth, though, he thought he was communicating. See, this is just the same behavior he is exhibiting now with his children--nothing has changed.

Just note, "pink slime" legally qualifies as ground beef. It comes from real cows. That's the big problem about "pink slime," that the manufacturer does not have to disclose that PS is added to the product.
And THAT is what I'm afraid of.

Blissful, my first husband was like that. He would come home from work, sit down in front of the TV, pick up the paper and if he didn't feel like coming to the dinner table, I would bring him his food. Don't talk to him if he is reading, watching TV or eating. It was worse whenever he worked the swing shift. I wouldn't see him for a whole week. I would leave his food in a warm oven. He died with all those words that could have been spoken between us stuck inside him. :ermm:

actually I've had 4 lbs of it already and it was great--though I didn't look at it in a microscope or magnifying glass.

He was married to his job and mute while at home while we were together for 18 years. He did not talk. He did not move his mouth, though, he thought he was communicating. See, this is just the same behavior he is exhibiting now with his children--nothing has changed.

And THAT is what I'm afraid of.
You already had 4 pounds?!? !?! Wow you must have been really, really full!!! ;)

I know what you mean, perhaps what (author) Sue Grafton refers to as "making social mouth noises," but without communicating anything worth listening to.

Well the pink slime qualifies as "real beef" as far as the FDA is concerned. It makes you wonder about purchasing ground beef products at all...

Last edited:
Addie--I felt bad for him that he didn't talk too. There were so many silent years.

You already had 4 pounds?!? !?! Wow you must have been really, really full!!! ;)

I know what you mean, perhaps what Sue Grafton refers to as "making social mouth noises," but without communicating anything worth listening to.

Well the pink slime qualifies as "real beef" as far as the FDA is concerned. It makes you wonder about purchasing ground products at all...

Ummm:LOL::LOL::LOL:.......we already had 2 lbs that were a sample they gave us, and then some more hamburger and macaroni with sauce. It was good. Still I worry if they ground up just about anything.

About a person not talking. What I mean is that he did not talk. Actually, no, he didn't make any noises. I'd say during dinner, 'would you like ketchup with that?', we'd stare at his mouth, it never moved, so I'd repeat the question and he'd say nothing, and not take any ketchup. It was tiring after the first 10 years, it was lonely. I don't know much about what he did for a living, never met any of his friends, if he had any. He never reported to me if he was not coming home--but I'd check with the hospitals and my parents would drive through snow to check to see if he was broken down on the road. (because I was home with the three boys) I'd tell him about our day's events, and he gave me no feed-back. It was just bizarre and lonely.

Sorry blissful, that's even worse. I can't imagine living in such a household.

Social mouth noises are better:

Hi, how are you?
Fine, and you?
I'm fine too.
Want some ketchup with that?
No, I'm fine.
How was everything?
Okay.
How about them Mets?
Yeah. Whatever.
Do you wanna watch ????? program on TV tonight?
No, I'd rather take a shower.

That's social mouth noises. Pure silence is different. Pathological. I'd get away from somebody who refused to interact at all. I guess you did.

Back
Top Bottom