Growing fresh herbs in a basement?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Piccolina

Executive Chef
Hi all,

I'm just wondering if it would be possible to herb plants in a basement suite that doesn't get very much natural light? Our new suite is very nice, but it has teeny windows that do not let much light in. Would it possible to grow herbs on a counter top or is sunlight a requirement? Many TIA :)

I have seen herb growing systems that use artificial light. They seem to be pretty expensive though.

Yes, light is a requirement for growing plants indoors, more light than is supplied from a tiny window. You would need an artificial lighting system made for growing plants.

pdswife said:
It's sooooooooooooo nice to see you posting again!! Welcome back!
Thank-you!!!! It's great to be back! :)

You guys have confirmed what I thought, natural light seems to be a must....Wouldn't want to invest a lot of $ into indoor herbs (much as I love them!). I guess I'll just keep buying them from the store, but I thought that I'd ask just in case it was possible.

Chuckle, chuckle - I know, I specifically put the word "fresh" in the title of my post to try and down-play what could come off as a rather suggestive question (LOL). But I promise, the only kind of grass I'd want to ever grow is lemon grass :LOL:

Natural light is a must in growing plants so photosyntisis can take place. This allows the plant to change Carbon Dioxide we breath out into Oxygen we breath in as they take in Carbon Dioxide. I keep a large leaf plant near my sofa so it can do this exchange while I sleep near a window. There are some plants that are grown in the dark for salads, etc. though most prefer natural light.
Plants also need water. I used to have trouble watering plants and I would over water them. Then I got an idea. I put as many Ice Cubes as I can at the base of the plant so as they slowly melt the plant will take in the water it needs and it won't be over watered nor leak out of the pot.
Then I spritz the leaves, and my plants grow real good.
I feel that these things would be as effective to herbs as well as my large leafed plants.

Timeloyd said:
Natural light is a must in growing plants so photosyntisis can take place. This allows the plant to change Carbon Dioxide we breath out into Oxygen we breath in as they take in Carbon Dioxide. I keep a large leaf plant near my sofa so it can do this exchange while I sleep near a window. There are some plants that are grown in the dark for salads, etc. though most prefer natural light.
Plants also need water. I used to have trouble watering plants and I would over water them. Then I got an idea. I put as many Ice Cubes as I can at the base of the plant so as they slowly melt the plant will take in the water it needs and it won't be over watered nor leak out of the pot.
Then I spritz the leaves, and my plants grow real good.
I feel that these things would be as effective to herbs as well as my large leafed plants.

Thank-you Timeloyd, you've provided some very helpful infomation here (ice cubes are so clever, good thinking!). Even if herbs were to fail, your tips are very encouraging should I go for regular house plants :)

Piccolina, please don't use ice cubes. Some folks might have success with them, but many plants need to stay warmer than that and wouldn't grow well for you. (Although in TO in the summer those ice cubes won't last long!)

Alix said:
Piccolina, please don't use ice cubes. Some folks might have success with them, but many plants need to stay warmer than that and wouldn't grow well for you. (Although in TO in the summer those ice cubes won't last long!)

I did wonder when I first read the idea if it might have an ill affect on certain types of plants (especially delicate ones - but I'm not a gardening expert at all!), thanks Alix. I do not have any plants at all yet, but I will take both of your guys tips and thoughts to heart should I get any. Thank-you :)

Piccolina - what you are looking for is something called grow lights - which supply artificial sunlight. Not only is there a matter of the UV spectrum they produce but there is also the matter of the intensity of light produced. This Indoor Plant Grow Light Guide covers the basics - but you probably want to check out several of the sites listed in the first (Google) link.

I honestly do not see where ice cubes would be any more effective or efficient than a much simpler "microdrip" watering system. You can actually make one of those out of an old enema bag, some plastic tubing and connectors from an aquarium shop, and a safety-pin.

How do you feel about growing your own mushrooms, instead? :angel:

Doesn't have to be expensive. Get shop style fluorescent light fixtures and suspend them over the plants. Keep the lights low--almost touching the plants-in order to keep them from being spindly.

Back
Top Bottom