"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-13-2004, 09:56 AM   #11
Cook

Send a message via MSN to maws
Kyles - You really seem into herbs - and to have green fingers. Question:
Australia must have been a haven for your love for gardening, but do you now live in a spot in the Uk where you can get the same results? I've seen gardens on TV shows with miles of herbs, but in a city it must be difficult.
Maws

Old 03-14-2004, 09:49 AM   #12
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to kyles
Unfortunately in England we haven't been able to rent a house with a garden, so I just have pots. I hate tailored my gardening to suit my new climate, no more rare chillis or interesting varieties of tomatoes for me! Or fresh zucchini and snow peas....sigh

But herbs love it here, and tend to last longer without racing to seed, as happens in warmer climates, so it's swings and round-abouts! I am going to start planting soon, I don't think the risk of frost has quite passed yet, we are still having the odd snowfall!

Old 03-14-2004, 01:38 PM   #13
Cook

Send a message via MSN to maws
That's one problem I have here - everything grows and develops too fast and seeds too soon. Delicate lettuce leaves turn bitter, etc. ut ou herb garden is planted at intervals, so as soon as one goes to seed, the next is ready for the kitchen. Homegrwon herbs, wherever, are really rewarding.
Maws
Old 01-07-2005, 10:29 PM   #14

I'm reviving an oldddddddddd topic..... anyone have any ideas for an apartment in the winter? I love using fresh herbs.
Old 01-07-2005, 10:45 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

heya ff,
the problem with growing herbs indoors this time of year is lack of sunlight. if you start them from seeds, you will have to provide a strong "grow" light directly above (within 2 inches) the plants. if you try it in a window, the plants will grow tall and thin and keel over from trying so hard to get more sunlight. besides, there isn't enough hours of sun this time of year anyway.
once the plants are established, they can be put in a sunny window, but they still might die off unless they get both natural and artificial light.
i got a chia herb garden for christmas, so i'm gonna wait till february to start the seeds, then when they sprout, i put them on a rack just below a light fixture. when temps warm up, i will "harden them off" by bringing them outside during warm days, and indoors at night. eventually, they will get transplanted to my herb garden.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 12:07 AM   #16

thanks tom... I usually have a green thumb.. but as long as I'm in this apartment.. kinda hard.
Old 01-08-2005, 06:22 PM   #17
Certified Executive Chef

I have an herb garden in which there is rosemary, lemon thyme, verigated sage, garlic, English lavendar and dying chives (too cold). Before winter came I also had ginger root. They are still thriving and overnight it has been in the teens. I bought the small plants at Home Depot and just stuck them in the ground and they are thriving, as are my tea roses. Would you believe they are still blooming in this cold, I do not eat them however. I am planing bulbs this week-end when the rain stops.
I clip the herbs regularly and put them in a small vase wtih rocks at the bottom on my counter. They look great and the lavendar smells wonderful.
Old 01-08-2005, 06:27 PM   #18
Master Chef

I am currently growing rosemary in my kitchen. Every other rosemary plant I have had, I have killed. I think I was not giving them enough water. So, I am giving this one more water, but trying to not over water it. The good news is that it has put on new leaves since I got it about 2 weeks ago.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 08:21 PM   #19
Master Chef

One aspect of plant growing (herb or otherwise) that people do not seem to realize is that sometimes it is length of day that affects the growth. In the summer our days here in northwestern IL are considerably longer than they were in FL or HI. We have considerably harsher winters (yeah, that's a foot of snow out there right now) and much shorter days in the winter (at solistice sunset was at 4:15 p.m.). But some plants love those longer days. I bring in my rosemary and bay. Both seem to like it dry, so I toss them (well, they're heavy, so not exactly toss) into the shower and give them a good bath once a month. In between I just toss in a glass of water here & there. In previous years I've tried to keep parsley going through the winter, or get some basil going. In fact I have baseboard heating, and it is virtually impossible to keep any plant besides those two going because the heating just dries them up. But in the summer, watch out. I have a mint patch, and I'm religious about keeping it separate from the rest of the yard because it will "eat up" anything near it. My herb garden isn't huge, but it is the envy of everyone who loves to cook, and neighbors often call and ask ... do you have .....?
Old 01-10-2005, 10:32 AM   #20
Executive Chef

We have an herb garden that runs beside the house and driveway. Need to replant a couple of things. The rosemary is more like a small shrub now.

Lots of folks do container gardening and have great success.