Growing Mint In The Shade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Actually, yes that is exactly where I got the idea :)

OK I am taking you up on that. I would love to take some home.

I know last time we were at your house you had chocolate mint. Could that be the one you are forgetting? No there is no way my Aunt would forget chocolate!

QSis said:
Okay, so how do you folks use fresh spearmint?...

Generally speaking, spearmint is used in savory dishes while peppermint is used in dessert dishes.

Check Indian, Middle Eastern and Greek recipes for lots of recipes using spearmint.

GB said:
Actually, yes that is exactly where I got the idea :)

I know last time we were at your house you had chocolate mint. Could that be the one you are forgetting? No there is no way my Aunt would forget chocolate!
:blush:
ACK! Of course it was chocolate! I KNEW it was chocolate... I was just typing too fast and thought I had already said it.

Uh huh, that's what happened...

I use my mint for tea. Nothing like steeping fresh mint (I have both spearmint and peppermint) for tea after dinner. I dry it too so I can have it during the winter.

When the girls were little I used to make peppermint infusion and give them a tsp or so when they had colicky tummies. Worked like a charm.

take 5 or 6 mint leaves and muddle them in a glass with a spoonful of sugar (bash a bit to break up the mint leaves to release the oils). Pour in some rum and some ice. Top off with soda water.

I actually do not use rum in mine. I use casasha (sp?) which is very similar to rum. It is Brazilian and made from sugar cane.

A traditional mojito is garnished with a sugar cane swizzle stick so I feel the casasha works well.

I would definately go with a barrel container for mint. Mint can be so invasive (weed), though it's nice to have on hand. I think you mentioned a drink to make with mint ( I would call that a mint julip, though never have had one myself).

amber said:
...I think you mentioned a drink to make with mint ( I would call that a mint julip, though never have had one myself).

Mint Julips are made with bourbon while mojitos are made with rum. Either will do in a pinch.

GB,
haven't had a chance to read the whole thread, but anytime I plant in a barrell with anything that is like mint and i don't want roots coming out the bottom drain holes, I place the barrels on a stepping stone or on cement. I forgot to do this once what a mess...My dad blew a gaskit:ROFLMAO:

kadesma

I have spearmint growing rampant around my sump pump drain, intertwined with a big thicket of blackberries, where the Mr. and Mrs. Bunny and their extended family live.

When the dogs chase the rabbits, the smell is wonderful.

(Don't worry about the rabbits. I have Australian shepherds who have such bad noses they can't smell their own butts. The dogs get very excited about the Bunny family, but once the rabbits are out of sight, as far as the dogs are concerned, they are gone--totally disappeared. Same with squirrels--up a tree, and they have vanished.:ermm: )

Dear GB,

It's been my experience that as long as your whiskey barrel (and that's where I planted my mints--have you tried chocolate mint?---YUMMMM!!) gets some sunlight (filtered will just be fine) they'll do just great. Of course if you had them in morning sun and afternoon shade they'd go ballistic on you but it you have a barrel full planted then you will have more than enough for your needs. I can't believe the $1.99 price for a small bunch at our local HEB. Ridiculous!! Happy minting!!

I have been an American Italian Chef for many years,and have been growing many of my own Herbs and some spices,veges. too, I mainly use tubs,pots. Using tubs and pots allow me to at certain times of year (Florida) to move them to spots of choice depending on weather condictions.I found that most of the Herbs,Tie peppers,Basil (5 types) all do well with lots of light or early morning sun. Chef Victor Robbin res7a8ke@yahoo.com

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom