"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 06-02-2011, 06:02 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I don't go by color at all with ground meat, bright red exterior and dark interior is very common especially if it is packed tight in the package (no air getting inside the meat lump) I go by my nose.

Old 06-03-2011, 02:02 PM   #12
Senior Cook

I have really begun to think of grinding my own in the food processor.

betterthanabox.org
betterthanabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 02:08 PM   #13
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterthanabox View Post
I have really begun to think of grinding my own in the food processor.
You still need to start with good meat.

I have been doing my own with Lucille and it is a lot of fun.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:32 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
You still need to start with good meat.

I have been doing my own with Lucille and it is a lot of fun.
Why would I grind bad meat if I was trying to get away from the gross meat at the store... silly!!

betterthanabox.org
betterthanabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 02:58 PM   #15
Sous Chef

I'm sure confused....

per post #2, oxygen is needed to make the meat turn red.

then there's the debate about using carbon monoxide gas inside the wrap to preserve the red color and deceive consumers.

so,,,, how's this work? a little oxygen makes it turn from purple to red, too much oxygen / too long an oxygen exposure makes it turn from red to brown coma again? say whot? so you inject carbon monoxide and that keeps the exterior red - which was orginally purple - but with the flood of carbon monoxide hasn't been exposed to oxygen to make it turn red coma coma coma in the first place.

or does the grinder automatically route the "red beef" to the output and route the "purple beef" to the ??(trash?)

our store grinds its own ground beef - the machine's right there - you can watch it if you catch the right time. the stuff coming out of the grinder is red(dish) - it is not blueish, it is not purplish - it looks like fresh red bloody ground meat. they put in on a plastic tray with a diaper underneath, wrap & seal, weigh & label. there's no nothing injection of anything - ground beef, plop on tray, trays sits on table, wrap in plastic, heat seal on hot platter. not even an mystic shaman in sight.

I've bought ground beef where it's pink/red all through, and I've bought ground beef where the middle has gone brown - same store, same label.

something in "all this" is not adding up to common sense. perhaps I'm just beef-dense?
Old 06-04-2011, 03:55 AM   #16
Executive Chef

What a splendid name for supermarket (Ralph's) we only have one supermarket in the UK named after a human being.
More reasons to shop at Morrison's catchy don't you think.
I have a mincer but when I was mincer less I would pick the meat I wanted minced, then ask the Morrison's butcher(Einstein, he moved with the speed of light) to mince over to his mincer and get mincing.
Old 06-04-2011, 04:53 AM   #17
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
What a splendid name for supermarket (Ralph's)
hehe, ya i thought of that too, and I'm in the US.
It's a major chain here with modern strores.
Old 06-04-2011, 12:20 PM   #18
Executive Chef

In California we have Ralph's (Ralph was their last name) Von's, and Albertson's (also last names). We also used to have Hughes (not related to Howard though). Of course Ralph's in owned by Kroeger (another last name, I believe) and Von's parent company is Safeway. Back when these grocery stores were opened, people weren't afraid to put their own name on their businesses.
Old 06-04-2011, 04:26 PM   #19
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
In California we have Ralph's (Ralph was their last name) Von's, and Albertson's (also last names). We also used to have Hughes (not related to Howard though). Of course Ralph's in owned by Kroeger (another last name, I believe) and Von's parent company is Safeway. Back when these grocery stores were opened, people weren't afraid to put their own name on their businesses.

I like that joke or observation where you know you're entering the southern US by the names of supermarkets.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:22 PM   #20
Assistant Cook

Chopped meat dark in center

Chopped meat will turn dark in the center due to the lack of air (oxygen) that gets to the meat under the surface. Leaner grinds will also turn more quickly along with tighter packaging also contributing. If the chopped meat is caught lightly (minimal resistance) and kept fluffy as it comes out of the grinder it will not darken as quickly in the packages. If you ever have purchased any meat product that has more than one steak in a package and they touch, you will notice a discoloration where the two pieces overlap or touch each other. This is the same effect when chopped meat is pressed together. Meat on top of Meat. The leaner the grind..., the more meat involved and the quicker the darkening. Also the longer you hold it before freezing the more it will discolor inside. Smell it..., you'll know if it's bad.