"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 07-19-2012, 04:45 AM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Cobean View Post
FORMER colonies addie,you kicked our asses out a few years ago!!
i live up north & the southerners think we all wear cloth caps,the roads are all cobbled,wear clogs,work down the mines & walk our whippets everywhere we go.....hang on...we do....!!
Well the Queen or one of her kin keep showing up here to check on us.

Any minute I expect you to burst into song with the Welsh miners. BTW, I was married to a bloke from Cockermouth, Cumberland. Took me a long time to figure out what a nappy was. He had a very strong Scottish accent. My youngest daughter learned to talk from him. It took me a year to get rid of her Scottish accent. She could roll those R's like a beer barrel.

Old 07-19-2012, 05:05 AM   #22
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Well the Queen or one of her kin keep showing up here to check on us.

Any minute I expect you to burst into song with the Welsh miners. BTW, I was married to a bloke from Cockermouth, Cumberland. Took me a long time to figure out what a nappy was. He had a very strong Scottish accent. My youngest daughter learned to talk from him. It took me a year to get rid of her Scottish accent. She could roll those R's like a beer barrel.
the queen? nobody's told her yet....they wouldn't dare "off with their head" is still a very popular phrase round buck house!!
the nappy thing...that must have been messy for a while addie!!cockermouth is in cumbria but i know what you mean,very beautiful part of the world it is too,right on the edge of the lake district & birthplace of william wordsworth.it was that area & the fields full of daffodils that inspired the poem.
i was born & grew up in north wales,strong rugby & mining tradition.i played rugby but they wouldn't let me down the pits 'cos i couldn't sing.mind you i did scream a few times during a game...a painful sport!!!

Old 07-19-2012, 06:12 AM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Cobean View Post
the queen? nobody's told her yet....they wouldn't dare "off with their head" is still a very popular phrase round buck house!!
the nappy thing...that must have been messy for a while addie!!cockermouth is in cumbria but i know what you mean,very beautiful part of the world it is too,right on the edge of the lake district & birthplace of william wordsworth.it was that area & the fields full of daffodils that inspired the poem.
i was born & grew up in north wales,strong rugby & mining tradition.i played rugby but they wouldn't let me down the pits 'cos i couldn't sing.mind you i did scream a few times during a game...a painful sport!!!
I wandered lonely as a cloud....

....and came upon a host of golden daffodils.

One of the first poems I ever memorized. My daughter lives on Wordsworth Street the next block over from me. We live in the poets district of this town. Some streets are named after European cities, some after battles of the Revolutionary War, some after poets, etc.

My ideal vacation would be to visit Wales in the springtime when all the glee clubs are rehearsing. My favorite folk song is "All through The Night."

Sleep my child and God will tend me,
All through the night.
Guardian angels God will send me,
All through the night.

Sang that many times to my babies. Makes for beautiful harmony.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:43 AM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

lol, it's difficult not to read that like a kennedy/quimby.

"all, er, ah, throoough the noight".

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:01 AM   #25
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
i used to work with an old irishman painting interiors of schools during the summer months.

the schools didn't have air conditioning, and the paint we used was nasty, stinky, oil based stuff that smelled even worse in the summer heat and humidity.

but the kicker was that every morning at our 10am coffe break, the old bog hopper would fire up a pipe with cherry tobacco, make sourdough toast, boil a pot of irish breakfast tea, and microwave a can of king oscar sardines in oil to have on the toast with the tea.

the combination of those smells was just too much.

i ended up taking my breaks outside after that.

I like King Oscars on toast with a slice of onion, then the sardines and top with squiggles of yellow ballpark mustard. I admit, at work, no one wants you to share the love.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:09 AM   #26
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I wandered lonely as a cloud....

....and came upon a host of golden daffodils.

One of the first poems I ever memorized. My daughter lives on Wordsworth Street the next block over from me. We live in the poets district of this town. Some streets are named after European cities, some after battles of the Revolutionary War, some after poets, etc.

My ideal vacation would be to visit Wales in the springtime when all the glee clubs are rehearsing. My favorite folk song is "All through The Night."

Sleep my child and God will tend me,
All through the night.
Guardian angels God will send me,
All through the night.

Sang that many times to my babies. Makes for beautiful harmony.
there ya go addie,sung by a real welsh miners male voice choir,in welsh,in wales.a beautiful country with a fine history & strong traditions.the welsh call it "gods own country" i'm very proud to be welsh
Old 07-19-2012, 07:14 AM   #27
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
I like King Oscars on toast with a slice of onion, then the sardines and top with squiggles of yellow ballpark mustard. I admit, at work, no one wants you to share the love.
.......or the same room i should imagine whiska!!
Old 07-19-2012, 08:10 AM   #28
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I get 1 ounce of this a day:
Attached Images

Old 07-19-2012, 08:16 AM   #29
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I get 1 ounce of this a day:
now we're talkin' your royal highness.......chocolate.... mmmmmm(in a homer simpson stylee)!!
Old 07-19-2012, 08:22 AM   #30
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I don't bake anymore so I get all my pies etc from the local bakery. No pics of that stuff.