Guilty pleasures!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I see what you mean.

They have become politically correct. They used to call them "Cream buns", "Negro buns", and Negro kisses". :ermm::ohmy: Now they are just "cream buns".

Never heard those terms, now can you please explain a custard tart to me?

Are you still able to get Peak Frean biscuits and cookies in Canada, I miss them.

Never heard those terms, now can you please explain a custard tart to me?

Are you still able to get Peak Frean biscuits and cookies in Canada, I miss them.
Custard tart? Never heard of it.

Peak Freans, I've seen them, but how recently I couldn't say. I've probably had them at someone's house. The only cookies we buy are
presidents-choice.jpg
(or the chip ones, if they are out of the chunk ones) and cookies from Monsieur Félix & Mr. Norton Cookies or Chips Ahoy.

I miss butter tarts. When I lived on the border and would go visit friends in Canada I loved being able to stop at a store and pick up a thing of butter tarts. One of the few things I like raisins in. And some of my friends had grandmothers that made the best homemade butter tarts. They always thought I was crazy for making such a fuss when they shared them with me. Maybe I will have to make some for Thanksgiving or Chrisrmas this year.

Mmmmm, pumpkin pie and turkey and gravy and mashed potatoes and vanilla sweet potatoes and dressing/stuffing and lime jello salad and rutabegas and cranberry sauce and the pickle/olive tray and squash with butter and brown sugar and... Sorry, my brain went off on a tangent when I mentioned Thanksgiving.

Gulty Pleasure - Maple-Hazlenut Fudge

Fro last Sunday's church potluck, I used this recipe - Creamy Maple Fudge - Eagle Brand but modified it like this.

I substituted an extra 1/4 cup of brown sugar for half of the maple syrup (didn't want to use up all my maple syrup on food for a pot luck. I'm kind of stingy with it.) I added a half tsp. of maple extract to add the missing maple flavor. I also added a half cup of milk to the recipe to replace the missing liquid. And just because I am the guy who has to experiment, I added a quarter tsp. of hazelnut extract to the recipe.

I followed the directions for cooking the fudge, adding the milk half way through the cooking process. Mixed two heaping handfuls of chopped pecans to the fudge, and poured into a parchment paper lined cake pan.

Cover, refrigerate, and wait for the compliments. This stuff is right up there with the See's Fudge recipe for flavor and texture quality. Yeh, it came out really good. And just for the record, See's fudge recipe is a wonderful fudge recipe.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
http://www.eaglebrand.ca/recipes-details.aspx?rid=1789

Gulty Pleasure - Maple-Hazlenut Fudge

Fro last Sunday's church potluck, I used this recipe - Creamy Maple Fudge - Eagle Brand but modified it like this.

I substituted an extra 1/4 cup of brown sugar for half of the maple syrup (didn't want to use up all my maple syrup on food for a pot luck. I'm kind of stingy with it.) I added a half tsp. of maple extract to add the missing maple flavor. I also added a half cup of milk to the recipe to replace the missing liquid. And just because I am the guy who has to experiment, I added a quarter tsp. of hazelnut extract to the recipe.

I followed the directions for cooking the fudge, adding the milk half way through the cooking process. Mixed two heaping handfuls of chopped pecans to the fudge, and poured into a parchment paper lined cake pan.

Cover, refrigerate, and wait for the compliments. This stuff is right up there with the See's Fudge recipe for flavor and texture quality. Yeh, it came out really good. And just for the record, See's fudge recipe is a wonderful fudge recipe.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
can feel my arteries hardening just thinking about it chief.....fabulous mate:yum:!!

OhMyGoodness.....such guilty, guilty pleasures here. I've never tried the chocolate with chili peppers :ohmy: seems like an odd combination :LOL: but next time I see them I will for sure give it a try.

Do love the hazelnut fudge combo....oy. :yum:

:ohmy: Will have to try Chief's Maple fudge! :yum: Costco will have Lindor Truffles on sale soon.....be still my beating heart (which may actually be still and no longer beating after I tear into those truffles).

Last edited:
OhMyGoodness.....such guilty, guilty pleasures here. I've never tried the chocolate with chili peppers :ohmy: seems like an odd combination :LOL: but next time I see them I will for sure give it a try.

Do love the hazelnut fudge combo....oy. :yum:
it is a must try chezza.best if you let it melt in the mouth rather than chewing.subtle heat & dark choccy.....nice:yum:!!

:ohmy: Will have to try Chief's Maple fudge! :yum: Costco will have Lindor Truffles on sale soon.....be still my beating heart (which may actually be still and no longer beating after I tear into those truffles).
They are currently advertising Lindor in bar form over here.

Now that Cadburys belongs to Kraft there are some very weird varieties of Cadbury's Dairy Milk bars coming onto the market.

had a couple when i got back from the boozer last night to replace the blood sugar that the alcohol destroyed.kind of hangover cure in advance:rolleyes:!!...the soccer was very average but had a good time with me mates.

Attachments

• KRISPY 001.JPG
    KRISPY 001.JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 137

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom