Gumption

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The only decorations up in our house so far are four Christmas cards from the wife's clients and a couple of Christmas pictures the kids drew and hung up. Supposedly tomorrow we are putting up the tree and the wreaths.
As for cookies and candies, we don't usually make many of those to begin with (my being a diabetic and all), so this year doesn't look like much of a change there. Just a few for the kids sake, and a small Christmas dinner as the kids don't much pay attention to the food anyway, LOL.
Someone stole my mojo, baby!

I feel so much better that I am not alone, too. I was great with present shopping, wrapping, cards and mailing but not so great with the baking and candymaking this year. I did take the two cake decorating classes but I have not baked one cookie, one cake or even made truffles. By this time, I always have my candy done and save the other baking until now. Maybe, this weekend, I will buy the poppyseeds and make the makosh that I so want to do for my neighbor. Or at least the Black Forest Truffles.

Could you imagine if we all did a cookie exchange? None of us would have anything to share. lol

I promised myself, tomorrow I will get something done--even if it is just the homemade poppyseed filling.

You're not alone. We just bought our tree Saturday, & it's still sitting out on the deck. Haven't done my cards yet. I have breads to bake that I'm not even sure I have all the ingredients for. And I STILL have to Xmas shop for my husband. And what's today? Dec. 22? Normally I would have had all this stuff done by the start of last week latest.

Bah Humbug!

well...I've lost it all...even the little bit I had is gone... I'm sad.

We were supposed to go to Oregon for Christmas. Paul's Mom was having the family over for a huge (30-40 people) Christmas Eve dinner. David and Shannon were going to drive down and meet us there. I was so dang excited to introduce Shannon to the family and to have David there with us for the big Christmas Celebration. I so wanted to see him happy and proud and in love... because of the weather it's been cancelled. Mom and dad haven't even had power now for three days!! They have a well so that means no water either!! They are old and cold and stubbern! They refuse to leave and go to a friends so we are worried about them....

So, I thought at least David and Shannon can come here and the four of us can have some kind of Christmas... Nope! It's snowing again and it looks like our nice private road is blocked...no one going up or down the hill...

So it's just Paul and I. Hadn't really planned on being here so... no really nice christmas dinner planned...pizza for tonight which is Great but..not special. Paul didn't finish his x-mas shopping... our satalite tv is OUT... Didn't do much baking because I didn't think we'd be here...didn't put up a tree because we didn't think we'd be here... won't have my son...

I've been depressed before...this isn't depression... it's sadness. I"m sad.

I'm so sorry Pdswife - that's terrible!! But at least you'll be together with hubby, even if things are a bit bleak.

While things aren't as dire here, I apparently did something God-awful to my back last night while wrastling with frozen hoses & horse water troughs, & today can barely move without bringing tears to my eyes. I have a nearly 10-foot tall completely bare tree standing in my living room, gifts that need wrapping, a house that needs cleaning, & food to start prepping, & I can't do a darn thing without crying. Have tried Advil, Doan's Pills, & wearing my back brace (I have an old spinal injury to contend with), but no luck so far.

Oh Breezy! I wish I close by! I'd love to help you wrap and decorate!! ( I'll leave the cleaning to you lol!!)!!!

Feel better and enjoy your holiday! Put the rest of the family to work.

Thanks!!

PDS, read your PM.

Breezy, I feel for you so very much. I am so sorry that happened. There seems to be something in the air that is saying "simplify Christmas" that is global around here with plans being forced to change left and right for different reasons.

I agree with PDS, get the family working and if it doesn't all get done, don't worry. Everyone will understand. Take care of yourself first!

Yes, I think part of the problem is all the expectations we place on ourselves to have everything perfect. Well, sometimes it is ok if things are good enough. Do what you can, ask for help if you need it, and quit stressing over it. So there is a little dust, or you have to postpone getting together because of weather--better to be safe than sorry.

Yes, I think part of the problem is all the expectations we place on ourselves to have everything perfect. Well, sometimes it is ok if things are good enough. Do what you can, ask for help if you need it, and quit stressing over it. So there is a little dust, or you have to postpone getting together because of weather--better to be safe than sorry.
I think you've nailed it, PieSusan. Sometimes "good enough" is perfect! There have been many years that every inch of my house was decorated beautifully - Martha Stewart would have been proud! When I had carefully selected the perfect gift for everyone and there were baked goods galore.

This year, I spent about 3 weeks taking care of my mom so when I got home a week ago, sorting out all the things my children needed advice on (or just a sympathetic mother's ear) took priority. So today, Christmas Eve, finds me with a sad little, haphazardly decorated tree, an entire house in need of a good cleaning, and not one gift wrapped!

In years past, I would have been frantic and berating myself. This year I know that my children don't see the tree as sad at all - they think it's beautiful. None of them notice the dust bunnies, nor do they mind the store bought cookies. In fact, we had a blast staying up until 4 am last night - the older sons crowded into my little sewing room watching a movie with me while I monogrammed the sheet set that is a Christmas gift for another son and his wife. There was laughter and silliness and it was wonderful.

Tonight will find me up til all hours again making the obligatory sugar cookies for Santa, and then wrapping like a mad woman after I finally get Fisher to sleep. It's craziness and a madhouse and I'll be exhausted but for this year, it's perfect.

My get up and go must have got up and went, LOL. I still have to wrap presents as well, and am only half way thru baking tonight and I am only baking four things! I just hope I am up to cooking everything tomorrow as well.
At least I got the tree done this week and the kids got the house decorated up.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom