"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-24-2008, 01:17 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Oh Breezy! I wish I close by! I'd love to help you wrap and decorate!! ( I'll leave the cleaning to you lol!!)!!!

Feel better and enjoy your holiday! Put the rest of the family to work.

Thanks!!

Old 12-24-2008, 01:22 PM   #32
Certified Cake Maniac

PDS, read your PM.

Breezy, I feel for you so very much. I am so sorry that happened. There seems to be something in the air that is saying "simplify Christmas" that is global around here with plans being forced to change left and right for different reasons.

I agree with PDS, get the family working and if it doesn't all get done, don't worry. Everyone will understand. Take care of yourself first!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 01:34 PM   #33
Head Chef

Yes, I think part of the problem is all the expectations we place on ourselves to have everything perfect. Well, sometimes it is ok if things are good enough. Do what you can, ask for help if you need it, and quit stressing over it. So there is a little dust, or you have to postpone getting together because of weather--better to be safe than sorry.
Old 12-24-2008, 02:28 PM   #34
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PieSusan View Post
Yes, I think part of the problem is all the expectations we place on ourselves to have everything perfect. Well, sometimes it is ok if things are good enough. Do what you can, ask for help if you need it, and quit stressing over it. So there is a little dust, or you have to postpone getting together because of weather--better to be safe than sorry.
I think you've nailed it, PieSusan. Sometimes "good enough" is perfect! There have been many years that every inch of my house was decorated beautifully - Martha Stewart would have been proud! When I had carefully selected the perfect gift for everyone and there were baked goods galore.

This year, I spent about 3 weeks taking care of my mom so when I got home a week ago, sorting out all the things my children needed advice on (or just a sympathetic mother's ear) took priority. So today, Christmas Eve, finds me with a sad little, haphazardly decorated tree, an entire house in need of a good cleaning, and not one gift wrapped!

In years past, I would have been frantic and berating myself. This year I know that my children don't see the tree as sad at all - they think it's beautiful. None of them notice the dust bunnies, nor do they mind the store bought cookies. In fact, we had a blast staying up until 4 am last night - the older sons crowded into my little sewing room watching a movie with me while I monogrammed the sheet set that is a Christmas gift for another son and his wife. There was laughter and silliness and it was wonderful.

Tonight will find me up til all hours again making the obligatory sugar cookies for Santa, and then wrapping like a mad woman after I finally get Fisher to sleep. It's craziness and a madhouse and I'll be exhausted but for this year, it's perfect.
Old 12-24-2008, 09:16 PM   #35
Master Chef

My get up and go must have got up and went, LOL. I still have to wrap presents as well, and am only half way thru baking tonight and I am only baking four things! I just hope I am up to cooking everything tomorrow as well.
At least I got the tree done this week and the kids got the house decorated up.
Old 12-24-2008, 09:26 PM   #36
Head Chef

^Maybe you should have a hunk of cheese. lol
Old 12-24-2008, 09:27 PM   #37
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PieSusan View Post
^Maybe you should have a hunk of cheese. lol
LOL! All that School House Rock stuff sure brought back memories! One of my favorites was Conjunction Junction.