"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-28-2010, 09:03 AM   #11
Sous Chef

I'm not sure where you live, but do you have access to a meat locker (where they process the entire animal, but offer cuts to the public as well)?

We get our meat by the animal, so we get a lamb in the spring, but where it is processed, they also sell all cuts of meat, including lamb. Perhaps you can google for that.

I'd guess, otherwise, see if you can find halal groceries or specialty meat stores. I probably wouldn't buy it from a supermarket anyway, but that's just me.

Worst case... ask at the restaurant if you can buy a few pounds of the meat for a lower price and freeze it for later.

Old 01-28-2010, 02:22 PM   #12
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic View Post
I'm not sure where you live, but do you have access to a meat locker (where they process the entire animal, but offer cuts to the public as well)?

We get our meat by the animal, so we get a lamb in the spring, but where it is processed, they also sell all cuts of meat, including lamb. Perhaps you can google for that.

I'd guess, otherwise, see if you can find halal groceries or specialty meat stores. I probably wouldn't buy it from a supermarket anyway, but that's just me.

Worst case... ask at the restaurant if you can buy a few pounds of the meat for a lower price and freeze it for later.
Thanks, not aware of places like that around me.
found some ground lamb this morning at "Best Yet" market so ill be buying it there.
the guy at the pizza place i asked, wasnt to keen on helping me locate lamb/gyro cuts to make my self
"i duno, guy delivers it here"

Old 01-28-2010, 05:54 PM   #13
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillingFool View Post
Alton Brown has a recipe at FoodNetwork that is pretty close taste-wise...
The episode is called My Big Fat Greek Sandwich and it is on the Good Eats DVD called Loafing around. It has the recipe and instructions for making the meat on your grill and in the oven.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:52 PM   #14
Mr. Greenjeans

Sear, I take it that you are in or around NY NY. There are plenty of meat markets and butchers in your area. Google had too many to list on google maps. They just covered my screen in tiny dots.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:31 AM   #15
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy3k View Post
Sear, I take it that you are in or around NY NY. There are plenty of meat markets and butchers in your area. Google had too many to list on google maps. They just covered my screen in tiny dots.
no, long island NY.
did a little bit of a seach found some places that are 40min-1 hour away
Old 02-01-2010, 10:21 AM   #16
Cook

well i made it this weekend, combined AB's recipe with another one .. added a couple additional spices. rarely do i get it right on the first try ... but wow it came out tasting exactly like the gyros im used to.

i had to use a blender instead of food processor... not cool
after the loaf cools in the fridge for a night you can slice it thin to get the texture a little less like meat loaf
Old 02-01-2010, 10:30 AM   #17
Master Chef

Site Administrator

We have a small food processor and I did two pounds of ground lamb. I ended up doing a lot of little batches in the processor to make mine, but yeah it was real nice in the end.

How did you cook yours?
Old 02-01-2010, 10:41 AM   #18
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
We have a small food processor and I did two pounds of ground lamb. I ended up doing a lot of little batches in the processor to make mine, but yeah it was real nice in the end.

How did you cook yours?
2lbs of lamb too
pyrex loaf pan, pressed mixture into the pan tightly
got a roaster pan filled half way up with water, placed the loaf pan in that
in the oven at 325 until internal temp of 167.
drained oil
left a weight on top with alum foil for 10 minutes , drained oil again
cut thick slices to eat right away. the next night after it cooled in the fridge i was able to do thin slices and heat in pan for a more "gyro" like gyro :)
used wheat pita, tomatoes and spanish onion, lightly sauted

just thinking about it makes me want another one now ... this is gonna be a regular dish
Old 02-01-2010, 10:47 AM   #19
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Sounds good. Once the weather warms up enough for me to use the rotisserie I will be doing another, and another, and...
Old 02-02-2010, 03:53 AM   #20
Assistant Cook

In school we put the meat in a loaf pan too, and it was awesome. Especially with the scratch-made cucumber/yogurt sauce.