Halfway through a recipe and realize it's no good

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
Has anyone ever seen a recipe that just seems so good. You get all the ingredients and start cooking away. Only to find out, that 1/2 through it, it wasnt worth the effort. A few months ago, I found a recipe for a fat free gumbo-like recipe. I think my first mistake was the "fat free', but my wife was on a diet so i figured id give it a try. Anyway, the more ingredients i put in, the more i realized i was wasting my time, and food. Im the type of cook, who everyone thinks is great. What they dont realize, is that anything i make that doesnt pass my inspection, winds up being fed to the chickens. Anyway, this gumbo, 1/2 way done, wound up as chicken feed.

Has anyone else had a similar experience??

larry

Nope. I've had new recipes that, when eaten, were not as good as I would have hoped, but I've never stopped halfway through and tossed it.

Think I would have finished it....ate a bite or two...then called the chickens!

Fat Free Gumbo like....Sounds like a warning label...:LOL:

No. Like many cooks on this forum, I am pretty good at knowing if I will like a dish from reading the recipe and maybe customizing it to my tastes.

If I can't salvage it by doctoring it up at the end, I toss it. But, I don't think I've tossed a dish until I've tried to eat it for a meal.

Lee

Only once in 50 years of cooking. About 25 years ago, Buck and I spent a Saturday (and many $$$-worth of ingredients) preparing a chicken dish that sounded heavenly. We chopped, cooked, stirred all day in anticipation of a wonderful meal. Even bought a nice bottle of wine to have with it.

The recipe read deliciously. Things tasted fine as we went along. No reason to suspect a yucky outcome.

Set the table with all the nicest china, etc. The whole nine yards.

Sat down, served it up, tasted....called out for pizza.

Buck just said, "That was so nasty!"

I remember 100 years ago, i was watching the ' galloping gourmet ' I think it was Graham kerr and he was making something like " givech" im not sure of the name. All i knew was that i copied the ingredients, and it was about 3 pages worth. I ran out and bought everything. IT took hours to prepare, just to wind up in the trash. I didnt even have chickens at the time .

I spent all day doing all the right steps for Boeuf Bourguignonne - Many hours later we sat down to eat and guess what, IMHO, we had? Beef stew!!!! I was ticked and tired.

Yeah, that's what happened to that bacon macaroni salad I posted about a while back. We don't have chickens, but we do have 3 dogs who will eat ANYTHING their momma gives them - salad, vegetables, fruit, etc. They all began their lives as street dogs, and I think they feel very lucky to have landed in a good place.

Only once in 50 years of cooking. About 25 years ago, Buck and I spent a Saturday (and many $$$-worth of ingredients) preparing a chicken dish that sounded heavenly. We chopped, cooked, stirred all day in anticipation of a wonderful meal. Even bought a nice bottle of wine to have with it.

The recipe read deliciously. Things tasted fine as we went along. No reason to suspect a yucky outcome.

Set the table with all the nicest china, etc. The whole nine yards.

Sat down, served it up, tasted....called out for pizza.

Buck just said, "That was so nasty!"

Very similar to the experience we had, except we ordered Chinese!
:LOL:
Now we are much more careful about trying new recipes, and pretty good at 'reading' what we think we will like and dislike. That being said, some of the better ones lately have been ones I originally thought would not be good, so I guess you never know until you try.
Thats half the fun I think!

Nope, in a case like that I try and figure out what I can do to make it taste good....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom