"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-17-2006, 09:40 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Halloween treat ideas?

My daughter's 5th grade teachers are somewhat sick of microwaveable food. I'd like to make them a nice homemade treat (that's not too complicated) since I'm also working full time and lately, seldom cook. Does anyone have recipes for favorite Halloween treats? If so, would you please, please post them here? I'd really appreciate any and all suggestions. Thanks.

Old 10-17-2006, 10:03 PM   #2
Executive Chef

I have one for Jigglers creamy pumpkin or you could do dirt cups with those gummy worms. I have both recipes if you want? The pumpkin one is basically orange jello cut out in the shape of a pumpkin ( if you have a cookie cutter in that shape or a good hand to carve it, maybe your daughter could cut the shapes by hand?) I can post the recipe if you two like the idea. It's very simple and probably interesting to the kids with the decorations (candycorn and black licorice for the pumpkin face).

The dirt cups are basically pudding, oreos, cool whip, and various gummies.

Old 10-17-2006, 11:46 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dina
My daughter's 5th grade teachers are somewhat sick of microwaveable food. I'd like to make them a nice homemade treat (that's not too complicated) since I'm also working full time and lately, seldom cook. Does anyone have recipes for favorite Halloween treats? If so, would you please, please post them here? I'd really appreciate any and all suggestions. Thanks.
Dina,
Cade and I made these and everyone loved them[Rec: Witches Hat Cookies[halloween-cookies]
hopeing this works Dina,
kadesma
Old 10-18-2006, 12:24 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
We live in a fairly rural, outback kind of area. Buck and I are going to be handing out chitlins, collard greens and road kill 'possum. We realize these "treats" are pretty much standard fare for our local ghosties and goblins, but they are what's readily available.

We've had a racoon who has been making us crazy on/in the roof of our house (really) that we'd love to add to the treat pool. Unfortunately, we saw "Over the Hedge" and can't bring ourselves to rendering R.J. treatwise.

Don't be mad at us. We really do love animals. This is all in fun.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:59 AM   #5
Hospitality Queen

LOL Katie!

Here's a quick Halloween treat we made one year for my boy's classroom treats (his bday is halloween):

Make rice krispy treats adding some orange gel food coloring, only don't put them into the pan. Rather, butter up your hands and "mold" the treats into individual round balls. (About the size of a small apple) Flatten them a bit, so they resemble pumpkins, and add a black licorice "stem" on top. You can even use green frosting to pipe out a leaf or two to the stem.
I wrapped each one in clear cellophane and tied the top with raffia.
Old 10-18-2006, 03:38 AM   #6
Sous Chef

Kate E

Do u really eat possums? Or are u joking?
And what are chitlins?

Mel
Old 10-18-2006, 04:55 AM   #7
Senior Cook

dina - this is probably too much trouble, but...

every halloween, i remember the old couple down the hill and a couple of streets over who used to hand out doughnuts. homemade, rolled in cinnamon sugar & and still hot. those doughnuts never even once made it into our bags. absolutely the best halloween treat ever.
Old 10-18-2006, 05:17 AM   #8
Sous Chef

Philso

Those doughnuts sound delicious.
Reminds me, i must buy a fryer, to make things like that.

Mel
Old 10-18-2006, 07:19 AM   #9
Executive Chef

gosh, in the 30 years I have been living in Southern Ohio, we have yet to have our first trick or treater, so I have never had to consider this question. I actually consider this one advantage of living so far out in the boonies.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:30 AM   #10
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
Here's another cute idea. Take clear plastic gloves (the ones that food handlers wear) put a candy corn in each fingertip for fingernails, then fill the bag with popcorn & tie the top closed.