Ham and Nitrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MRJ

Assistant Cook
Hey everyone,
Im just wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to limit the bad impact the nitrates in ham when eating? I haven't eaten ham in awhile and noticed some nice looking ham steaks/slices which were fat free and high in protien which is just what im looking for but of couse it has nitrates and im wondering what can i do to inhibit the nitrates from turning into nitrosamines when i eat them? I have reading eating/taking vitamin C can help but i am wondering if anyone know anything about this.

Thanks!

It's so bad that you just about need to know the hog farmer personally in order to get nitrate-free or nitrite-free ham (pork products). From what I've discovered, every package I've read contains these as a preservative/ingredient. You might have some luck from a meat locker/butcher, if you have one near you, but like you, I'm getting pretty discouraged!

Not all hams are cured and I often see fresh ham steaks in a couple of grocery stores (Albertson's, Kroger, Central Market). They are usually easy to spot - fresh ham (which is not cured) has the pale pink or beige color of a fresh pork roast - the usual color for cured ham is deep rose or pink.

Some cured hams will include ascorbic acid as part of the cure mixture - to offset the potential for nitrites converting to nitrosamines. Read the ingredients label.

Not all hams are cured and I often see fresh ham steaks in a couple of grocery stores (Albertson's, Kroger, Central Market)...

Just for fun, I went in search of those stores using their store locators. The nearest Alberton's is 110 miles, the nearest Krogers is 72 miles, and Central Market is a Texas State chain of supermarkets - I don't live in Texas. Not everyone is as fortunate as others to live in a metropolitan area. I've got the choice of 4 markets within a 35 mile radius. :blush:

Thanks for the reply's!

I live in Canada and i checked everywhere for nitrate free hams and couldn't find anything, i couldn't even find nitrate free bacon. So does Vitamin C actually help the nitrates/nitrites from turning to nitrosamines and if so do you think having some orange juice or a vitamin c supplement before and or after having some cured meats would be good?

Back
Top Bottom