Ham help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wendyjane

Assistant Cook
Hi. Need some advice. I boiled my gammon yesterday morning it was turned off and cooled in the liquid at about 1pm. Then it was left to cool in the cool utility room. I was planning to then roast it today. But it was then forgotten about until I woke with a start at 3am this morning!!! Arghh!!I rushed down stairs and put it in the fridge.
Do you think it will be ok to eat?? I really can't decide. It's such a big piece it would be such a waste but I don't want anyone to be ill.
Any advice really welcome. Thx

Personally, I would use it. There has been a big discussion thread about food left out overnight. You are going to get answers from both sides of the fence. Welcome to DC.

Last edited:
Thanks Craig. I was thinking the same. I'm guessing if it's really off it will smell.
W

You boil the ham before roasting?
I have heard of this and I think I have seen this done before. I think I remember my mother boiling a "picnic" ham in my youth. I thought it was to remove some of the salt?
When I buy a smoked ham, its already cured/cooked and only needs heating up.
What am I missing here?
TIA.

I would use it without a second thought.

I'd discard any liquid but the meat should be fine especially if you're going to roast it.

It's a room off the kitchen with no heating. So a bit warmer than it is I guess. W

Welcome to Discuss Cooking Wendyjane.

I see you're from across the pond, and we have no idea how cold your room off the kitchen was overnight.
If it was kept off of my kitchen I wouldn't use it as I live in a warm climate.
Some of our members live in very cold climates, and it would be fine. Everything depends on how cold your ham was off of your kitchen.

If you check their weather, their highs are around 50 F and lows are close to freezing up to 40ish.

Boiling would probably have gotten rid of any issues the ham may have had. I've never boiled a ham either, unless it was in soup.

Wendy, your ham should be fine. In the days of yore, folks left out smoked/cured meats all the time since there was no refrigeration.

Welcome to DC!

So no feedback on boiling the ham first? Why and what kind of ham would one boil?
TIA

I've seen packages of boiled ham alongside the presliced/deli honey roasted, baked, etc. I suspect it removes a lot of the salt?

Last edited:
Some people boil fresh, uncured ham rather than salt and smoke it. I'm pretty sure smoking meat is not a common cooking method in England.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom