Hardened Brown Sugar questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chave982

Senior Cook
Ok, so I've had a box of brown sugar in my cupboard for a few months now, and when I went to grab it yesterday to use in a recipe, it was hard as a rock. Why is this? Should I store my brown sugar in an air-tight container? Also, is this box of sugar ruined now, or can I fix it?
Thanks!

put it in a bowl (non metal) and microwave it for 3 seconds (no MORE!) and leave it stand for 10 seconds and then try it.
if it doesn`t work or soften after 2 goes consider TNT :)

most of the time if it`s not Too far gone this will work quite well :)

I've always heard you're supposed to put a damp paper towel over it when you microwave it. I did that once and it worked like a charm. But be careful - I burned my finger on the bowl because I wasn't expecting it to be that hot. LOL.

In terms of storing it, though, your best bet is the fridge. I like to put an entire box of brown sugar (meaning packaging and all) inside a gallon-sized ziploc bag. I also put a slice of bread into the bag, but outside the box of sugar. After a while you'll notice the bread gets hard as a rock and the sugar stays nice and soft. Works every time!

I only buy the brown sugar that is in plastic bags. They are fine on the shelf, unopened, for some time. Once opened, however, it's right into an airtight container. If I purchased the sugar in the box, I'd put it into an airtight container immediately upon bringing it home from the store.

If you find it's getting a bit stiff, put a fresh slice of bread in with it, and it should soften. It takes a few hours with this method. Otherwise, go with the microwave method, but you'll have to do that each time you use the sugar until its all gone.

I live in Las Vegas where the humidity seldom goes above 10% so my brown sugar can get as hard as a rock in a short time. I have been using the discs for years and now my sugar stays as soft as the day I bought it. You soak the disc in water for about 15 minutes then stick it in the sugar. I do this about once a month. Here is what it looks like.

Attachments

• brownsugardiscg.jpg
    brownsugardiscg.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 246
When I store my brown sugar I keep it in the plastic bag and I put the whole thing into an airtight container.

I follow the same idea as middie. Occasionally, I'll have a hard block of brown sugar, but that's only if I haven't used it in months.

i just have it in the pantry in a tupperware container. I live in SC so humidity is always present.

I store my in a plastic container and I cut a peice of wax paper the same as the inside of the container, placing it on top of the b sugar. never hardens . I also have use a strofoam plate cutting it to fit the container, plastic wrap the object is to keep air out.

What about granulated brown sugar? That never hardens for me, but can it be used instead of the traditional kind?

put it in a bowl (non metal) and microwave it for 3 seconds (no MORE!) and leave it stand for 10 seconds and then try it.
if it doesn`t work or soften after 2 goes consider TNT :)

most of the time if it`s not Too far gone this will work quite well :)

So YT; do you put the container or bag in the bowl each time and then let it reharden for the next time or do you try to hack off just the amount you need and soften that?

So YT; do you put the container or bag in the bowl each time and then let it reharden for the next time or do you try to hack off just the amount you need and soften that?

I'd say only if your cleaver is feeling neglected. Otherwise nuking the whole thing would be easier and it won't hurt anything :)

EDIT: Why doesn't this give me a smiley???? :)

Brown sugar delmena

Yes put it in the microwave in the plastic bag it is in or something microwaveable and it will be just fine. I've done that. :chef:

I have no idea, but the bread trick always worked for me (see my previous post in this thread - basically just put the sugar and a slice of bread together in an airtight container so the bread gets hard and the sugar stays soft). Have you tried that?

I hope that it's not too late to ask, but what are these disks "called" because I need them----where I live I can't keep brown sugar soft no matter what I do.

They're called brown sugar discs and if you go to page one of this thread you'll see a picture of it on my post. You can get them at any kitchen shop or department store kitchen section. They're made of terra cotta to hold the moisture and they work like a charm.

If you can't find them, google "brown sugar discs" and you'll have a ton of sites to order from.

Last edited:
Thanks, DramaQueen, I did what you suggested and found other neat toys as well. The beauty of the discs is that you can leave them in for 3 months and they make great gifts. I'm taking a bunch back for gifts and found that a Bed, Bath & Beyond near me has them in now. Thanks so much!! :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom