Harvesting Garlic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BonnieLR

Assistant Cook
Forgive me if any of this sounds "dumb", we never planted garlic before. My husband planted it in the fall of '05. The stems/stalks are now 3 ft. tall with some type of a head on top, which is beginning to turn brown as well as the upper part of the stem/stalk . Are they harvested the same as onions? Any advice would be appreciated.

BonnieLR said:
Forgive me if any of this sounds "dumb", we never planted garlic before. My husband planted it in the fall of '05. The stems/stalks are now 3 ft. tall with some type of a head on top, which is beginning to turn brown as well as the upper part of the stem/stalk . Are they harvested the same as onions? Any advice would be appreciated.
Hi Bonnie, looks as if the garlic is going to seed, I'd get them out of the ground, tied and hung to dry.Hope they are all okay and not getting soft.
We dig ours in the spring and plant in the fall, so I'm not sure as to the condition of yours.

kadesma:)

Kadesma is correct -- your garlic has gone to seed. Dig it up and see if any of it is good. You may find a few heads with enough good cloves to plant in the fall. I live in Northern California and plant garlic in October/November and harvest it in June/July. I'm not sure about your planting seasons in Wisconsin. You may want to check with a local nursery or garden supply about the best time to plant and harvest garlic in your area. (I've used the tall stalks and round heads in flower arrangements!)

I plant mine in teh fall before the first frost. In the spring, I cut the part off that is goping to seed. I usually harvest them in July or August, depending on what the weather's been like. I pull them when the stalk starts turning brown. Brush off the earth, and hang to dry in the cold room.

I harvested them yesterday, and got my best crop to date.:)

Hi Bonnie, Northern Minnesota here. I didn't know you could grow garlic in Wisconsin, hope it turns out ok for you. Would be something interesting to try here. How do you get started on planting them.

"The stems/stalks are now 3 ft. tall with some type of a head on top," - Bonnie, next time you see the stem coming up in the center of a garlic plant, cut the whole stem off just as the bud forms but doesn't open - these are called garlic ramps and they are beyond delicious!!

Cut them up and add to salads, soups, sautees, or just eat - bud and all. I would grow garlic again just for the ramps!!!

Constance said:
The same is true of chive blooms. They also are great for flavoring oils and vinegars.
Hi Connie,
I love chive blossoms but didn't think to use them like this. I do love to use them when I make large platters of anti-pasto, just cut them long get a nice size bunch and tie with a thin pretty ribbon and place on the tray. It looks beautiful, is edible, and they hold up wonderfully.

kadesma:rolleyes:

Yes to chive ramps also!!! They are wonderful! Kadesma, for ramps you want to grab them before the buds open.

When I first tried the chive ramps, I couldn't believe the strong flavor to them as compared to just using chive 'stalks' - but, what flavor!

Thanks cjs,
since I have a massive pot with chives, I will try your suggestion. Am looking forward to the experience.

kadesma:)

Isn't the rule to plant garlic on the first day of winter and to harvest it on the first day of summer? Around here, people pull it out in mid-June and let it dry out for awhile before using it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom