"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2017, 01:35 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Has anybody found a good substitute for partially hydrogenated oil in...

buttercream frosting?

So a local supermarket that used to make delicious sheet cakes recently stopped using it to comply with the stupid FDA laws (like anyone was getting heart attacks from eating a few slices of birthday cake per year), and the result is lame frosting lacking in the richness/thickness that it used to have. Is there anything that can replicate what partially hydrogenated oils did for it, or am I out of luck?

Cake was one of the only things that I liked about this planet. A world without cake is probably not a world worth living in.

Old 11-03-2017, 02:42 AM   #2
Wine Guy

I have no idea how to even respond to this post (or your username) so I'll just say "welcome" and leave it at that.

Old 11-03-2017, 03:52 AM   #3
Head Chef

Is there anything that can replicate what partially hydrogenated oils did for it, or am I out of luck?

That's a question I never thought I would be asked.

CD
Old 11-03-2017, 05:42 AM   #4
Sous Chef

I'd use Butter. It's partialy hydrodized. and I almost agrree... but everything after the 80's sucks.
Old 11-03-2017, 11:07 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

I'm pretty sure there's already butter in said buttercream frosting.
Old 11-03-2017, 11:30 AM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Buttercream frosting doesn't usually have any oil in it. If there is oil in the recipe, it's there as a cheap substitute for butter.
Old 11-03-2017, 11:49 AM   #7
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Buttercream frosting doesn't usually have any oil in it. If there is oil in the recipe, it's there as a cheap substitute for butter.
Exactly right, Andy. Buttercream frosting usually has only a handful of ingredients: butter, confectioners sugar, vanilla (or other flavoring), and milk. Hydrogenated oils aren't part of the equation, at least not when I've run across it.

Now if we're talking about frosting made with the original formula of Crisco, that's something different. I've never cared for those kinds of frostings myself - it's just kind of a textural thing with me.
Old 11-03-2017, 12:06 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

The thing is, there was always a major difference between this supermarket's buttercream frosting and that of the other popular supermarket in the area. The other one's was this light, cheap, tasteless stuff...had all the flavor of like Pillsbury Toaster Strudel icing (the true meaning of "icing"), but not as sweet. This stuff was much richer/creamier and sweeter...before non-PHO compliance took over at some point this year.

I would have thought the other supermarket was doing the cheap recipe. I just assumed the good stuff contained both butter and PHO.
Old 11-03-2017, 12:21 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

You should make the real thing and compare.
Old 11-03-2017, 12:24 PM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverythingAfterThe90sSuck View Post
buttercream frosting?

So a local supermarket that used to make delicious sheet cakes recently stopped using it to comply with the stupid FDA laws (like anyone was getting heart attacks from eating a few slices of birthday cake per year), and the result is lame frosting lacking in the richness/thickness that it used to have. Is there anything that can replicate what partially hydrogenated oils did for it, or am I out of luck?

Cake was one of the only things that I liked about this planet. A world without cake is probably not a world worth living in.
Even if someone could come up with a recipe for you, how would you get it on a store-bought cake? Were you planning on buying the cake without frosting or scraping off the bakery icing and adding your own?

If you want the true flavor of birthday cake icing, try adding Amoretti Premium Birthday Cake Syrup to your frosting recipe. I can personally guarantee your frosting will taste EXACTLY like a birthday cake!

If you are attempting to get your local bakery to change their recipe, Amoretti also has birthday cake extract or Artisan flavoring which can be purchased in larger quantities. If they are a legitimate business and contact Amoretti, they may be able to score some free samples.

Tags
oil, substitute