"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2017, 03:41 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
  • Prep time: 10 minutes
  • Total time: 10 minutes
  • Servings: 12

Ingredients

3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1 to 2 tablespoons milk

Steps
  • 1 In medium bowl, mix powdered sugar and butter with spoon or electric mixer on low speed. Stir in vanilla and 1 tablespoon of the milk.
  • 2 Gradually beat in just enough remaining milk to make frosting smooth and spreadable. If frosting is too thick, beat in more milk, a few drops at a time. If frosting becomes too thin, beat in a small amount of powdered sugar. Frosts 13x9-inch cake generously, or fills and frosts an 8- or 9-inch two-layer cake.

Inserted from <https://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/vanilla-buttercream-frosting/39107a19-be94-4571-9031-f1fc5bd1d606>

msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 04:41 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

I never really thought about this before, but does chocolate buttercream frosting tend to be thicker than vanilla?

EverythingAfterThe90sSuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 05:32 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Add more or less milk/powdered sugar. I donít eat the stuff so canít give exact answer. We get our cakes with whipped cream frosting. We donít like the greasy texture/mouth feel of buttercream frosting. The buttercream roses look pretty but get chucked.
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 07:03 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverythingAfterThe90sSuck View Post
I never really thought about this before, but does chocolate buttercream frosting tend to be thicker than vanilla?
I would imagine that you would just adjust the amount of milk used to get the consistency that you want.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:53 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Oh My!

If I may chime in ...

There are several types of Buttercream frostings as I understand it... being just a home baker and not a professional ... I've made Italian Buttercream, Swiss and straight up "American Buttercream".
Here's an interesting article from Serious Eats I found ...

The World of Buttercreams: 6 Varieties to Try at Home | Serious Eats

Now, I'm not sure if this counts as a Buttercream Frosting, but I just made a double batch of Hershey's Perfect Chocolate Frosting ...

https://www.hersheys.com/kitchens/en...-frosting.html

I really like this recipe for it's ease ... melted butter! I don't need to think ahead to soften all that butter! And the consistency is wonderful for either spreading or piping!

And, EverythingAfterThe90sSuck, I think that life, at least for me here in America, has gotten better and better as the years have gone by...it's all what you make it, right?
Old 11-06-2017, 01:53 PM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
buttercream frosting?

So a local supermarket that used to make delicious sheet cakes recently stopped using it to comply with the stupid FDA laws (like anyone was getting heart attacks from eating a few slices of birthday cake per year), and the result is lame frosting lacking in the richness/thickness that it used to have. Is there anything that can replicate what partially hydrogenated oils did for it, or am I out of luck?

Cake was one of the only things that I liked about this planet. A world without cake is probably not a world worth living in.

Buttercream frosting doesnít have oil in it
Old 11-06-2017, 06:51 PM   #17
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

I'm sure you could make a butter cream with vegetable shortening and that many discount bakeries do this to save $$$

Here's a recipe over at King arthur... https://www.kingarthurflour.com/reci...rosting-recipe
Old 11-07-2017, 12:30 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
We haven't heard back from EverythingAfterThe90sSuck ...
Old 11-07-2017, 06:04 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

I'n not buying the claim that using partially hydrogenated oils in buttercream frosting is rare. I read a few articles where owners of independent bakeries were worried about how the FDA regulations were going to ruin the taste of their products, with the main one cited being cupcakes.

And I just found the old recipe for the supermarket frosting and sure enough, it was oil/shortening-based (partially hydrogenated soy and palm oils).

I don't think I've ever had "real" buttercream frosting in my life, be it supermarket cakes, independent bakeries, or restaurants. I always thought it was strange how I hate the taste of butter (and margarine), yet love frosting. Now I think I know why; none of them ever contained butter. And from what I have read, people think the new shortenings without the partially hydrogenated oils are terrible.

Looks like I'm out of luck.
EverythingAfterThe90sSuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:03 PM   #20
Sous Chef

Quote:
I'n not buying the claim.............
This is like saying that a McDonald's 'shake' is a real milkshake and one make from real milk and ice cream is not. It's not a claim. It's what's real. By definition, buttercream is made with butter. Period. Grocery store frosting may be called buttercream in their promos, but it is not real buttercream. It's bakery frosting, made with shortening, not butter.

There are variations on real buttercream, with different sugars, egg yolks, egg whites, whole eggs. But they ALL are based on butter. If you are looking for a cheap commercial substitution, you are in the wrong place. Try one of the national food product distributors like Sysco or Gordon. Most of us make real buttercream and are not looking for a substitute for partialy hydrogenated shortening.

You may want to try the real thing before you bemoan the loss of artificial products.

Silversage is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cake, oil, substitute