Has anyone heard of Turducken?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AuntieV

Cook
I was just reading a book that mentions Turducken which is a chicken stuffed insided of a duck stuffed inside of a turkey. I guess this is a dish from the south but I have never heard about it. Has anyone fixed it? If so how was it?

Turducken

I've heard of it, even seen it offered for sale in a food catalog. I can't imagine what it must taste like...and I sure can't imagine the preparation involved!

I've heard of it, too.
And while I like all three separately, I don't think I would like a turducken....

A few years ago, I placed an order for a Turducken. I then found out the shipping was $60!! As much as the bird! :wacko:

I quickly called and they were nice enough to cancel. To this day, I've never tried it, but would love to.

I've known of it for quite a few years. I think the first time I learned of it was on an old, old Martha Stewart TV episode.

Not too recently I think I saw someone on the Food Network prepare one and, yes, it's rather involved.

I'd like to try it. Sounds interesting.

Paul Prudhomme, a Cajun Chef, created the turducken recipe. I've never eaten it although I see it in the stores now and then around the holidays. The stores bring it in and keep it frozen

I saw on food network once, where they flattened out the meat (I think breasts and loins) from each bird and then roasted it all together, served with corn bread pudding. It looked a lot easier and I think they did it in 45 minutes (it was on next food network star as a challenge. I cant find it though.

The hardest part of making one is the process of completely deboning a chicken and a duck, and partially deboning the turkey. You leave the drumstick bones in for presentation purposes.

Then you make three different stuffings and use one to stuff each bird. Then you wrap them all together and bake for a very long time. You need a big crowd to justify buying or making one.

I saw Paula Deen make one on her show last year for either Thanksgiving or Christmas. Most interesting. But the first place I actually heard the term is in the holistic dog food we were trying awhile back to compensate for the allergies our pets have LOL!!!!

yeah, but Bob, it's such a **legend**! there's a passel of deep-south (TX) expats living up here in MD, friends of mine from school that all just ended up here for one reason and another, and every year at thanksgiving we lament that nobody is brave enough to do one!

you're probably totally right, and it isn't the taste at all so much as the novelty. but then you'd get to tell all your kin later that there was that one year that you at a turducken!

yeah, but Bob, it's such a **legend**! there's a passel of deep-south (TX) expats living up here in MD, friends of mine from school that all just ended up here for one reason and another, and every year at thanksgiving we lament that nobody is brave enough to do one!

you're probably totally right, and it isn't the taste at all so much as the novelty. but then you'd get to tell all your kin later that there was that one year that you at a turducken!

Go for it!!!!!! :)

I do think it sounds interesting and different but what I want to know is has anyone ever had it to eat? I have read the recipes and all of the work involved. I just see this as being a big greasy mess though with that duck in the middle.

I really think it is something like an Elvis sighting. Everyone has seen one but no one has tried it.:ROFLMAO:

Hi!

I've never made a turdunken. But, I've read that you have to be careful when making one because it can be difficult to thoroughly cook the inner meats. Has anyone else heard about food safety concerns relative to turdunken?

:LOL: "heard of it?"

i've been cooking and eating turduckens for DECADES.

i bought my first one from the original place... Hebert's (pronounced, "a-bears") in maurice, louisiana-just south of lafayette, la.

I was just reading a book that mentions Turducken which is a chicken stuffed insided of a duck stuffed inside of a turkey. I guess this is a dish from the south but I have never heard about it. Has anyone fixed it? If so how was it?

This sounds like the kind of thing that if you went to a restaurant that served the original version (or Herbert's or something like them) it would probably be great, but more of a novelty if you ordered it. As for trying to do it at home, no way!! LOL. Even with the creators recipe I wouldn't try it. De-boning is not my thing...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom