"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-03-2009, 02:00 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Hash brown potatoes - anyone know how to make like the ones in McDonalds?

My sister (and I) love the hash browns that they serve in McDonalds. I tried to make them, but they came full of grease, and very different.
Anyone of you knows how to make them, or tell me what I am doing wrong?
Thanks for the advice......

Old 02-03-2009, 06:57 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

There are some great ideas/information HERE ---- HTH

Have Fun!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 07:55 PM   #3
Head Chef

2belucile, I have never eaten hashbrowns from McDonalds, but I'm thinking they come in rectangular patties, is that right? I'm not sure you can accomplish that at home, because they are probably extruded by machine. Here in Mexico, I can buy the patties of "hashbrown" potatoes in the meat department of my supermarket. I do buy them occasionally, and then fry them in a small amount of oil/butter. To make your own from raw potatoes, try precooking your potatoes, dicing them very fine and then cooking them in a mixture of a few tablespoons of butter and oil. You might be able to get the taste you are looking for - and they will almost certainly be even better! Good luck!
Old 02-04-2009, 12:04 AM   #4
Senior Cook

Uncle Ben: Thanks for the link, is very interesting, next time I will squeeze them very well, and will use the iron squillet.
Mexico Karen: When I lived in Canada used to buy them in the supermarket, but in here they donīt sell them (or perhaps havenīt looked well enough)
And to both of you, thanks for the advise
Old 02-04-2009, 12:19 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Ben may be Uncle Bob's brother, I'm not sure

They obviously do more than just grate the potatoes but if yours were full of grease then your grease/fat wasn't hot enough. If you want you can finely grate your potatoes and then chop a bit, toss in some salt, pepper, that should do it. Just make sure the fat is hot enough. I'm sure they use a deep fryer but they also probably fry these frozen. You're not going to get them quite the same...they will be more dense. BUT, they are still good!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 12:42 AM   #6
Sous Chef

I serve hash browns every Thursday morning in the shelter, with eggs, sausage chorizo, warm flour tortillas. I grate the spuds with a food processor (fine grating disc) and mix with finely chopped brown onion while the griddle heats. Oil the griddle and squeeze the mix like I'm making snowballs to get rid of water. Put 'em on the griddle and mash with a spatula. Turn when the bottom is brown, and drain on paper towels on a rack, in a warm oven, while I'm frying sausage, eggs, and chorizo and eggs mixed. They are not like McDonald's. I do not soak the grated potatoes in sugar water, parboil and freeze them in little square patties, and then deep-fry them and stick 'em under a heat lamp. I also fry with vegetable oil, generally. McD's uses lard for hash browns and French fries. I get no complaints, or leftovers.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:14 AM   #7
Senior Cook

Gadzook: I dont mind if they ae not like McDonalds, just would like something edible, nothing too greasy.
Itīs this correct?
RAW or PARBOILED (?) potatoes and onion, grated, and squeezed.
OIL: Griddle just oiled?
DRAIN in paper towels. Put in warm oven.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:36 AM   #8
Senior Cook

OH MY!!! I meant Uncle Bob!! not Uncle Ben, the link is interesting
Kitchenelf, for sure the oil was perhaps not hot enough. I try to avoid frying things.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:41 AM   #9
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2belucile View Post
Gadzook: I dont mind if they ae not like McDonalds, just would like something edible, nothing too greasy.
Itīs this correct?
RAW or PARBOILED (?) potatoes and onion, grated, and squeezed.
OIL: Griddle just oiled?
DRAIN in paper towels. Put in warm oven.
Ummm...I shred them and mix them with onion, both raw, squeeze the excess water out, and fry on a hot, oiled griddle. Mash flat, brown on both sides, place on paper towels on oven racks in a warm oven while everything else cooks.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:21 AM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadzooks View Post
I serve hash browns every Thursday morning in the shelter, with eggs, sausage chorizo, warm flour tortillas. I grate the spuds with a food processor (fine grating disc) and mix with finely chopped brown onion while the griddle heats. Oil the griddle and squeeze the mix like I'm making snowballs to get rid of water. Put 'em on the griddle and mash with a spatula. Turn when the bottom is brown, and drain on paper towels on a rack, in a warm oven, while I'm frying sausage, eggs, and chorizo and eggs mixed. They are not like McDonald's. I do not soak the grated potatoes in sugar water, parboil and freeze them in little square patties, and then deep-fry them and stick 'em under a heat lamp. I also fry with vegetable oil, generally. McD's uses lard for hash browns and French fries. I get no complaints, or leftovers.
McDonalds hasn't used lard for decades. But it's probably why their fries tasted so good.

That said, I am arriving for breakfast with you sometime. I'll help cook for the folks at the shelter in return for that breakfast you are describing. My mouth ... she waters!