Have you ever lost food?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mine is treated more like an oubliette...stuff things in and forget them. Until I open it to stuff more and nothing will fit. I think my shopping habits have changed and it's time my storage habits changed, too.
I have been in the habit of going to the freezer for meat now for years. It is a huge chest freezer that is still there from when I had my restaurant in my house. I still have that mindset, I guess. That probably explains the 16 racks of baby back ribs in there.:pig:

I have been in the habit of going to the freezer for meat now for years. It is a huge chest freezer that is still there from when I had my restaurant in my house. I still have that mindset, I guess. That probably explains the 16 racks of baby back ribs in there.:pig:

I think, I've finally gotten over those lean times when I shopped and cooked on short rations. Especially when I was a student and was only able to shop once a month. Now that I shop every week, I don't need to stock up like I used to.

I do have a the habit of buying in threes. It used to make sense, but now it really doesn't.:wacko:

PrincessFiona60 said:
I think, I've finally gotten over those lean times when I shopped and cooked on short rations. Especially when I was a student and was only able to shop once a month. Now that I shop every week, I don't need to stock up like I used to.

I do have a the habit of buying in threes. It used to make sense, but now it really doesn't.:wacko:

I like to pick generic stuff I know I would buy anyway like hamburger, noodles, spaghetti sauce, canned/frozen vegetables when it's on sale, but then you really do need to keep track of how old stuff is, and you need space

Rock, "16 racks of babybacks"?! :shock:

:punk: Rock on. I'm not worthy. I only have two left after last week's ribs.

I use my freezer the exact same way, and I only cook for one. I buy on sale, cut up loins or portion roasts, the same with foods I've smoked, freeze them, vacuum bag them, and am good to go for quite a while. My runs to the store are for produce or something else on sale. When my 25 year old freezer finally dies I'll run right out and buy another. I'll have to ;)

I am able to have chicken, pork, beef to choose from plus planned leftovers. I just have to make myself use the leftovers on a regular basis. It's too easy to get caught up in the excitement of a new recipe, or a new idea for an old recipe. I had 5 containers of chili. I took out the largest two, joined them and had a bowl then put back only one container. Every bit helps. It looks like I finished the pork butt meat, so I'll be on the lookout for another one. It goes directly in the oven when I get home, when done I put it in the refrigerator until the next morning when I tear apart the braised meat and package in in meal size packages (zips) and stack them. I save the slicing and dicing for when I'm ready to use the meat.

Rock, "16 racks of babybacks"?! :shock:

:punk: Rock on. I'm not worthy. I only have two left after last week's ribs.

7 ;)

Yeah, that's quite a few, but I can't resist sales:wacko: and they just seem to have accumulated in there. A few years ago you couldn't buy a rack of ribs around here for less than 12 or 13 bucks. So every time they went on sale I would grab a few. Now, I guess things have changed and the pork producers have ratcheted up the supply so they seem to go on sale more often. I keep buying them when they do because old habits die hard. But, when the demand goes up during the bbq season, you can never find them at a decent price. So I stock up in the winter. I also have some larger back ribs that I use for braising recipes.
My wife has a big family and when they get togther it is usually potluck. I can use up 4-6 racks in one go.

Last edited:
I just have to make myself use the leftovers on a regular basis. It's too easy to get caught up in the excitement of a new recipe, or a new idea for an old recipe. .
I know the feeling. Sometimes leftovers seem so ho-hum. There are three of us here so I can justify not eating leftovers using the excuse that there isn't enough of them to feed everybody.:LOL:
Then eventually they turn blue and fuzzy and go in the garbage.

I know the feeling. Sometimes leftovers seem so ho-hum. There are three of us here so I can justify not eating leftovers using the excuse that there isn't enough of them to feed everybody.:LOL:
Then eventually they turn blue and fuzzy and go in the garbage.

When they go blue and fuzzy, I make them walk themselves to the garbage can.:ROFLMAO: I hate it when you open the fridge door and things shrink away from the light.:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom