"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-14-2006, 06:51 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Have you heard of these?

hey guys, i'm new here and i was wondering have you guys ever heard of a pesto and asiago cheese baguette with sun dried tomatoes? or sweet potato with sun dried tomatoes dumpling skin? or pesto wtih sun dried tomatoes with scallion dumpling skin? which one of these sound appealing? as well i'd like to know what kind of cheese pairs well with pesto? thanks.

Old 09-14-2006, 08:39 AM   #2
Assistant Cook

From one newbie to another: Hello!

Those all sound delicious and im not even hungry!

Would parmasan be the best?

Old 09-14-2006, 08:57 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

I'm not quite clear on what all is going together. I have heard of a pesto and asiago baguette. Is the sun dried tomato going on it as an appy? Is "scallion dumpling skin" won ton wrapper? Or a moo shoo crepe?
Pairing cheese with pesto? How do you mean--as a topping if you put pesto on pasta? Parm is already in the pesto, of course.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:06 PM   #4
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastalover15
hey guys, i'm new here and i was wondering have you guys ever heard of a pesto and asiago cheese baguette with sun dried tomatoes? or sweet potato with sun dried tomatoes dumpling skin? or pesto wtih sun dried tomatoes with scallion dumpling skin? which one of these sound appealing? as well i'd like to know what kind of cheese pairs well with pesto? thanks.
Pesto goes really well with fresh buffalo mozzarella, with goat cheese, with garlic cheese, with Manchego, with queso fresco or queso blanco,it'd probably be divine with Feta....

What are you looking to make? Breads? appetizers? Pastas? Tapas?
Old 09-14-2006, 07:35 PM   #5
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Chef_Jen Send a message via Yahoo to Chef_Jen
I find all italian cheeses go VERY well with pesto.. asiago parm mozz. etc.

Having said that it also goes very well With Feta Cheese
Old 09-14-2006, 09:50 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

well it's for my food class and we have to create something that isn't available on the market by combining two cultures together. the sun dried tomatoes are gonna go on top and i'll just bake it like that. the dumpling skin is just....dumpling skin. ya know the 'wrapper' people use to wrap dumplings in. so i was just wondering since you're all foodies and cooks on here, if you guys have heard of any of them
Old 09-15-2006, 12:50 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

all of those things you've mentioned are fairly common, pl15.

i agree with clive about the cheeses. queso or mozz would be good choices, as well as harder cheeses like grana padano, or locatelli.

for the first combo, i'd toast the baguette rubbed with evoo for just a few seconds, then scrub it with a raw garlic clove. swipe on the pesto, top it with chopped sundried tomatoes, then the asiago cheese, and toast it again to melt the cheese.
another drizzle of evoo, then a sprinlking of salt and fresh cracked black pepper would help.

for the second one, in the skin. again, either sounds good, but since the internal ingredients of a roll don't cook all that much once rolled, you'd want to pre-cook any fillings. so, nuke your sweet potatoes first, finely chop the sundried tomatoes, sweat your scallions, then wrap in the skins.

are you going to fry or steam the wraps?

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 04:12 AM   #8
Sous Chef

Hello

Hello Pastalover

Those sound delicious. I never heard of them, but there are endless numbers of things to eat, so i probably dont even know about half of them.
I would go with feta cheese.

Mel
Old 09-15-2006, 05:46 AM   #9
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to RDG
Pesto is a Liguria sauce, made with fresh basil, garlic, peanuts, oil and pecorino (not parmesan). Then, there are a lot of variations. Asiago cheese is produced in high Veneto, in Asiago area, and is a rather soft cheese, very difficult to grate. When very hard, it takes the name of "Vezzena", and can be grated. But, even in that case, is much softer than parmesan or grana.