Have your tastes changed over time?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My tastes have not changed much since I was a child. I will eat asparagus now, though only fresh. As a kid it was the canned stuff (as that is what my Dad liked).

I have tried many new things as an adult, but my tastes for things hasn't really changed. It doesn't matter how you do Brussel sprouts, they are still little bundles of ick that I can not eat.

Okay, I'll unpack the asparagus in a can...:LOL:

Some of that response is from being forced to eat something you didn't like when you were a child.

that's how my wife is with lamb. her mom force fed her lamb as a kid, so she continually reminds me she won't eat it so i shouldn't bother to make it.
but then i'll grill some lollipop lamb chops, or a mild flavoured , american raised leg of lamb, or lamb shoulder stew, and she loves it.

and then still tells me how much she hates lamb.

As a child, I was known for my liking of all types of foods. I would try anything as long as I saw someone else eat it first.

I learned to love a wide variety of foods from other cultures this way. Over the years, I've had a few that I didn't care for as a youngster, turn out to be something I liked well later.

1. Beef Liver. I discovered that it could be cooked just long venough to be rare. Calf's liver and sauteed onions...Yum City!:pig::pig::pig: Gagged me when I was young.

2. Horseradish. When I was a kid, I lived with my Aunt for a couple years and holding a teaspoon of horseradish in the mouth for 5 minutes was the punishment for cussing or lying. By having it often, I learned to like it.

3. Buttermilk. The stuff gagged me bad when I was younger. Now it's all I can do to keep some in the fridge. My cat loves it too!

lol at the horseradish comment. i wonder who else caught that?

i was just like you, tim. i never turned anything down when i was a kid, and ended up liking most things.

my son is so much like me and wants to be so much like me that he recently has become obsessed with eating shrimp. at first, we didn't know where this obsession was coming from, but then i figured out that he saw my 8th grade yearbook from school, in which i wrote that i loved shrimp.

apparently, when we were filling out the forms for what you wanted to be put under your yearbook picture, i wrote shrimp in the category of "things i love".

lol, i guess i was hungry.

My tastes have not changed much since I was a child. I will eat asparagus now, though only fresh. As a kid it was the canned stuff (as that is what my Dad liked).

I have tried many new things as an adult, but my tastes for things hasn't really changed. It doesn't matter how you do Brussel sprouts, they are still little bundles of ick that I can not eat.

frank, do you like cabbage in any way? i've always thought of brussel sprouts as tiny cabbages.

i have friends that will eat corned beef and cabbage, stuffed cabbage, coleslaw, and so on, but refuse to eat brussel sprouts.

I would sit at the table all night as a kid and still not touch the brussels sprout on my plate. My parents ending up caving when it was time for them to go to bed :LOL: I never ate anything that resembled cabbage with the exception of cole slaw. A few years ago I wanted to try them and this was the recipe I first used. I think this method of grilling them, plus the sauce, helped me along the road to really enjoying them now.

frank, do you like cabbage in any way? i've always thought of brussel sprouts as tiny cabbages.

i have friends that will eat corned beef and cabbage, stuffed cabbage, coleslaw, and so on, but refuse to eat brussel sprouts.

Yes, and you can add me to the list like that.

Brussel sprouts are not tiny cabbages, they are little bundles of evil.

FrankZ said:

+1! Every year I try a bite, and every year I discretely spit it into my napkin...

:LOL:

I'm just the opposite. I can't stand just about any form of cooked cabbage, but I love Brussels sprouts. I don't eat cabbage rolls. My DH will eat cabbage rolls, but takes off the cabbage leaf. I tried that, but found that the meat had been contaminated with cooked cabbage flavour.

I don't get to eat Brussels sprouts very often. My DH gets nauseous at the smell - something to do with an entire field of Brussels sprouts on fire, when he was a kid. :ohmy:

I learned how to swallow them whole, so I wouldn't have to taste them. Mom insisted I eat at least one. That trick is helpful now to get all my pills down in a couple of goes.

+1! Every year I try a bite, and every year I discretely spit it into my napkin...

Well said, Frank! To me, Brussel Sprouts share Initials very appropriately with something that comes from the south end of a north bound Bull.

nasty things.

When I was three, I said I wanted brussel sprouts, then I didn't, then I did. My drunk, mean mother, pushed me down on the floor, and tried to 'cram them down my throat' before family members intervened. I am now 62, and my family still asks if I've ever eaten a brussel sprout. No.

Nor will I.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think my tastes have changed along with my culinary endeavors. The more I learn about food and what can be done with it, the more broad my palate and food preferences become, i.e. ethnic food like Indian or Lao. At the same time, with the broadening palate comes a broadening dislike for some things as well, i.e. any seafood with cheese tastes abysmal.

Last edited:
Changing Tastes

I lived with a grandmother who was an excellent basic cook and also loved to try new things. She hated it when we said, "EEEwwww," or "what's that?" when she presented something. We learned to eat a lot of stuff, including vegetables like beets, fruit like prunes, and whole-wheat bread when all the kids were bringing Wonder to school.

I enjoy a wide variety of foods and cuisines. But like Aunt Bea, my favorites are simple. I even adore Spam and Velveeta (or any combo thereof...and Michael Pollan would say this isn't food).:LOL:

Last edited:
that's how my wife is with lamb. her mom force fed her lamb as a kid, so she continually reminds me she won't eat it so i shouldn't bother to make it.
but then i'll grill some lollipop lamb chops, or a mild flavoured , american raised leg of lamb, or lamb shoulder stew, and she loves it.

and then still tells me how much she hates lamb.
When my mom was a kid she knew a man who refused to eat lamb. He said that when you go to slaughter other animals they put up a fight, but lambs just look up at you and don't fight. Little did he know that the "pork" roast his wife made (and he loved) every Sunday was really lamb. ;)

absolutely; I am much more interested in a wide variety of seasonal veg. and I have lost much of my interest in sugary items.

Back
Top Bottom