"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-10-2011, 12:45 AM   #21
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
My tastes have not changed much since I was a child. I will eat asparagus now, though only fresh. As a kid it was the canned stuff (as that is what my Dad liked).

I have tried many new things as an adult, but my tastes for things hasn't really changed. It doesn't matter how you do Brussel sprouts, they are still little bundles of ick that I can not eat.

Okay, I'll unpack the asparagus in a can...

Old 12-10-2011, 03:19 AM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Some of that response is from being forced to eat something you didn't like when you were a child.
that's how my wife is with lamb. her mom force fed her lamb as a kid, so she continually reminds me she won't eat it so i shouldn't bother to make it.
but then i'll grill some lollipop lamb chops, or a mild flavoured , american raised leg of lamb, or lamb shoulder stew, and she loves it.

and then still tells me how much she hates lamb.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 03:32 AM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
As a child, I was known for my liking of all types of foods. I would try anything as long as I saw someone else eat it first.

I learned to love a wide variety of foods from other cultures this way. Over the years, I've had a few that I didn't care for as a youngster, turn out to be something I liked well later.

1. Beef Liver. I discovered that it could be cooked just long venough to be rare. Calf's liver and sauteed onions...Yum City! Gagged me when I was young.

2. Horseradish. When I was a kid, I lived with my Aunt for a couple years and holding a teaspoon of horseradish in the mouth for 5 minutes was the punishment for cussing or lying. By having it often, I learned to like it.

3. Buttermilk. The stuff gagged me bad when I was younger. Now it's all I can do to keep some in the fridge. My cat loves it too!
lol at the horseradish comment. i wonder who else caught that?

i was just like you, tim. i never turned anything down when i was a kid, and ended up liking most things.

my son is so much like me and wants to be so much like me that he recently has become obsessed with eating shrimp. at first, we didn't know where this obsession was coming from, but then i figured out that he saw my 8th grade yearbook from school, in which i wrote that i loved shrimp.

apparently, when we were filling out the forms for what you wanted to be put under your yearbook picture, i wrote shrimp in the category of "things i love".

lol, i guess i was hungry.

Old 12-10-2011, 03:37 AM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
My tastes have not changed much since I was a child. I will eat asparagus now, though only fresh. As a kid it was the canned stuff (as that is what my Dad liked).

I have tried many new things as an adult, but my tastes for things hasn't really changed. It doesn't matter how you do Brussel sprouts, they are still little bundles of ick that I can not eat.
frank, do you like cabbage in any way? i've always thought of brussel sprouts as tiny cabbages.

i have friends that will eat corned beef and cabbage, stuffed cabbage, coleslaw, and so on, but refuse to eat brussel sprouts.

Old 12-10-2011, 06:42 AM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:

I would sit at the table all night as a kid and still not touch the brussels sprout on my plate. My parents ending up caving when it was time for them to go to bed I never ate anything that resembled cabbage with the exception of cole slaw. A few years ago I wanted to try them and this was the recipe I first used. I think this method of grilling them, plus the sauce, helped me along the road to really enjoying them now.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:28 AM   #26
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
frank, do you like cabbage in any way? i've always thought of brussel sprouts as tiny cabbages.

i have friends that will eat corned beef and cabbage, stuffed cabbage, coleslaw, and so on, but refuse to eat brussel sprouts.
Yes, and you can add me to the list like that.

Brussel sprouts are not tiny cabbages, they are little bundles of evil.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:58 AM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ

+1! Every year I try a bite, and every year I discretely spit it into my napkin...
Old 12-10-2011, 11:11 AM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post

I'm just the opposite. I can't stand just about any form of cooked cabbage, but I love Brussels sprouts. I don't eat cabbage rolls. My DH will eat cabbage rolls, but takes off the cabbage leaf. I tried that, but found that the meat had been contaminated with cooked cabbage flavour.

I don't get to eat Brussels sprouts very often. My DH gets nauseous at the smell - something to do with an entire field of Brussels sprouts on fire, when he was a kid.
Old 12-10-2011, 01:39 PM   #29
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:

I learned how to swallow them whole, so I wouldn't have to taste them. Mom insisted I eat at least one. That trick is helpful now to get all my pills down in a couple of goes.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:05 PM   #30
Executive Chef

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
+1! Every year I try a bite, and every year I discretely spit it into my napkin...
Well said, Frank! To me, Brussel Sprouts share Initials very appropriately with something that comes from the south end of a north bound Bull.

nasty things.