Having a BBQ - need some ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sicklyscott

Assistant Cook
So we're having a house warming party this weekend and invited around 40 people, not sure how many will show up and eat. I plan on cooking up a nice brisket on the smoker to make some pulled brisket sandwiches as well as a load of chicken kababs. For the vegetarians I will be making this espresso chili that I've made in the pas that is absolutely amazing (and happens to even be Vegan for that one guest).

What I'm looking for is some side dishes to go along with this. My father is bringing a big bowl of potato salad and we were thinking maybe some couscous with veggies and some type of 'slaw. Does anyone have any good cole slaw recipes, traditional or not? Any other ideas?

I believe there's a federal law that requires you to serve baked beans at a barbecue. You might cook/doctor up a nice big batch and serve them out of a crock-pot to keep them warm.

I have a really good coleslaw recipe I can offer. I'll look for it later and post it when I find it in my file.

I don't know why, but I'm drawing a blank for more suggestions. Not to worry, though. There will be plenty more from other members.

Although you seem to be making a good deal of food already I believe slaw is required for a bbq. Last time I made pork BBQ I used Jicama in place of the apples I normally would have used. Just a thought. If you are having brisket maybe some baked potatoes or grilled corn on the cobb as well.

To **** with slaw--bake some beans, preferably with a tangy/spicy sauce and bacon! Guacamole and good salsa are also favorites of mine.

I found my recipe online, scott. I've brought it to lots of picnics and the bowl is always empty. It's called Coleslaw with a Twist and in addition to being delicious it's very colorful and pleasing to the eye.

Here's a link to the recipe. Enjoy!

Cold Italian Pasta Salad -- Rigate Noodles broke in half, cooked, rinsed in cold water. Toss in thinly sliced cucumber(I use english), julienned bell pepper(I use red, orange and yellow), thinnly sliced red onion, thin sliced firm tomatoes. Salt and pepper. Gently mix with Italian dressing until nicely coated. Best made the night before. It is yumee, beautiful to look at and nice and cool on a hot day.

Sounds like a fun time.

This vinegar-based sauce poured on meat when plated also makes a great slaw so it serves double duty!!

2 cups apple cider vinegar
3 TBS ketchup
2 TBS packed brown sugar
4 tsp. kosher salt (makes a huge difference so use kosher)
1 TBS Tabasco or other hot sauce
1 – 2 tsp. hot red pepper flakes, more or less to taste
1 – 2 tsp. black pepper

Along with my chopped cabbage I also place in food processor some green pepper, white onion or spring, and carrot. Carrot can be done first because sometimes it's stubborn and won't chop up. By the time you chop up the carrot you have cabbage/green pepper/white onion soup :LOL:

Chop your cabbage (I do mine in the food processor) - add 1 cup of the cider mixture and let sit in fridge for a couple hours.

I usually double this recipe because it will keep for a loooooooooong time in the fridge.

Last edited:
The recipe is for BOTH squirting on your bbq sandwich/meat AND the slaw. Around here it is called either red slaw or BBQ slaw.

I'll go back and edit the slaw post, forget to put the other ingredients in there :blush:

How about a marinated Greek salad recipe sans greens? It's just veggies and kalamata olives marinated in a Greek-style salad dressing. I've made something similar before and it was very popular, with people asking me for the recipe.

Here's one that sounds very much like mine, except that I just sprinkled on the olive oil and red wine vinegar and didn't use balsamic, which doesn't strike me as Greek.

Greek Tomato Salad Recipe

Hope this is helpful.

some couscous with veggies

I made up a couscous salad recipe that has been all eaten up each time I've made it. I grill a variety of veggies (onions, 2 or 3 colors of peppers, zucchini), chop them up and mix them with cooked couscous, then add a white-wine vinaigrette. It's good warm or cold.

Hope this is helpful.

Sweet and Tangy Vinegar Based Slaw

1 head cabbage. Cut into very small strips (shred).
1-2 cups vinegar,
4 tablespoons red cooking wine,
2 tablespoons salt,
3 tablespoons pepper.
(optional, 2 tablespoons honey mustard and/or mayo, adjust to desired texture)
you can also add shredded carrots, red onion, bleu cheese etc. I dont.
it is nice to add purple cabbage (or raddichio)

It is somewhat important to refrigerate for a few hours and shake to let the flavors get to know each other. I frequently only do the first 5 steps of this recipe, the rest is if you like yurs fancy, and don't like vinegar slaw much, the creamier slaws are higher in fat so I keep it simple. This is a fairly traditional recipe.

I also might add, shrimp skewers and mini sausages wrapped in croisant dough (cocktail weenies) are fine additions to any gathering.

Last edited:

pulled brisket sandwiches
chicken kababs
chili
potato salad
maybe some couscous with veggies
some type of 'slaw

Any other ideas?

Breaking down your menu so far, a few ideas...

Cold pasta or cold mac salad

Corn on the cob

coleslaw (already mentioned)

Onion rings

I have a recipe for Greek rice (or pasta) salad, if you are interested - that would go with the chicken kebobs

A big green salad - any veggies you like & dressing of choice

Cucumber & tomato salad

Appetizers - stuffed mushrooms, hummus. (try a search here under appetizers)

A cold soup i.e. gazpacho, melon, peach, cucumber

Or a Fruit-y salad - i.e. watermelon &feta (and prosciutto - opt), mangos & blueberries or pears w walnuts or strawberry spinach salad w raspberry dressing

Fruit kebobs - assorted melon balls (watermelon, canteloupe, honeydew) and chunks of pineapple

Another kebob idea - on skewers - chunks of mozzarella, cherry tomatoes and fresh basil (marinate the mozzarella in italian dressing) - place on the grill just until cheese is melted. Or Mushroom kebobs and chunks of cheese.

Sangria or lemonade

Ice cream, ice cream cake or ice cream pie

Or one of my faves - grilled peaches filled w vanilla ice icream and blackberry or any jam of choice

For the slaw, I have a recipe that includes apples. (Will go through my recipes.)

Carrot and raisin salad with apricots.

Last edited:
You guys are awesome...so many choices, such little time!

I'd be interested in one of those 'slaw recipes with apples, that sounds great!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom