"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 06-29-2006, 03:09 PM   #11
Executive Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
Breezycooking - you don't need a glass of wine you need the bottle. Sorry to hear of your bad days.

I would probably not be baking cookies either - but I am a freakazoid about germs. As far as that chicken pox vaccine - from what I have been told it is 50% effective against chicken pox BUT if the person does come down with the pox it is usually very mild - 1-5 pox. Oddly enough, my girlfriend's 3rd grade son had 4 kids out of his class last month with chicken pox and so did her 4th grade son - 5 kids out. All children had the vaccine. Interestingly enough, a couple days later I heard on the news that it may be that the vaccine is not strong enough and that it may be recommended that children get a double dose vaccine - now I don't know if that means a vaccine then a booster later or a double vaccine a week or so apart like the adult chicken pox vaccine ----hmmmmmm.

Michele Marie
Michelemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 05:42 PM   #12
My Mom used to tell me about taking kids to "chicken pox parties". When one kid in the neighbourhood came down with it the mom would call around the neighbourhood and everyone would go over in hopes of catching it. They wanted to get it over and done with. LOL.

I haven't heard much about chicken pox being hard on people unless they were somehow immune compromised before exposure. I wonder if the virus has mutated at all so that it is harder on folks than it used to be? My girls caught it from their Dad. He got shingles (and THAT was icky) and then two weeks later BAM! Both kids had it. Fortunately it was summer and I just let them run outside naked as little jaybirds and no one was unduly troubled.

You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 08:02 AM   #13
Sous Chef
Originally Posted by Alix
Fortunately it was summer and I just let them run outside naked as little jaybirds and no one was unduly troubled.
Just to be clear, I wore clothes.
"Mmmmmm. Floor pie."
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 08:16 AM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef
Originally Posted by Ken
Just to be clear, I wore clothes.

Another childhood trauma averted!
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 02:01 PM   #15
Master Chef
As most of us know, kids usually survive the pox without much more than uglies. DO NOT expose any unexposed adults to it. I was furious the year a relative brought her kid with it to my house without warning ... my husband has never had it and we didn't even know a vaccination existed. I wound up sending my husband to a neighbor for the holiday meals because we were too far along to cancel meals at our house. I was told "It isn't that big a deal", so called "ask-a-nurse" (a local toll free service) where I was told to get my husband away, period, unless we all wanted to be dealing with shingles as well as chicken pox. I've never heard of it being carried by food, though. Hubby ate leftovers and stayed healthy.

Claire is offline   Reply With Quote