"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 06-27-2006, 02:33 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Health question

This may be a silly questian, and should probably be on a health forum, but it does sorta have to do with food.

Someone in the house has chicken pox. I don't have chicken pox, but since the disease travels through air, would it be bad to bake cookies for peope? I didn't think so, since I don't have, but wasn't sure since it was in the air.

Thanks!

"For God so loved the world that He gave His only Son, that whoever believes in Him will have everlasting life." John 3:16

"O love that will not let me go,
I rest my weary soul in thee,
I give thee back the life I owe,
That in thine ocean's depts it's flow
may richer fuller be."

-George Matheson

Ready2learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 04:45 PM   #2
Head Chef

The best way to keep other people in the household from getting Chicken Pox is to isolate the the sick person.

Make that person as comfortable as possible and the only people who should be able to enter the room are those with a history of the disease, or whom have been vaccinated.

The person who brings in the food, or enters the room, should wash his/her hands when leaving, and all dishware should be cleaned immediately.

Yes the disease can be transmitted by droplets in the air, but contact with the person's skin is very effective, as is contact with everything the person has touched.

It is very contagious.

The best protection is vaccine, which is very effective.

As far as cookies go, make them. But take the ones for the sick person into him.

Old 06-27-2006, 11:52 PM   #3
Everymom

I don't think you need to worry much as the most contagious period is before the rash even shows up. By the time the rash appears, anyone who is going to get it is infected. Its not really that dangerous unless there are other immunity issues. Just keep everyone comfortable.

How Does Chickenpox Spread?
Chickenpox is contagious (say: kon-tay-jus), meaning that someone who has it can easily spread it to someone else. Someone who has chickenpox is most contagious during the first 2 to 5 days that he or she is sick. That's usually about 1 to 2 days before the rash shows up. So you could be spreading around chickenpox without even knowing it!
Old 06-28-2006, 03:59 PM   #4
Master Chef

You know what? Is it really a totally DESPERATE situation that you bake these cookies for other people?

I mean, really, regardless of the usual stuff regarding how chicken pox is transmitted, do you really want to take a chance?

If even one person who eats your cookies develops chicken pox - even if they catch it having nothing to do with your cookies - do you really want that stigma?

If I were in your shoes, I'd squash the cookie-baking for now. I really can't imagine any sort of "cookie emergency" where you really have to make cookies at this time.
Old 06-28-2006, 04:55 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

geez, Breezy, what if the "someone in the house" is ready's kid??????

"Stigma"? Did I miss something here?
Old 06-28-2006, 05:25 PM   #6
Master Chef

Oh for God's sake Mudbug - of course this doesn't pertain to Ready's own family. Geesh. My point was that if she was making these cookies for someone OUTSIDE of her household & they then came down with chickenpox, that she might be blamed. Thus, stigma. Understand now?

I was talking about making cookies for someone outside of the family. The original poster asked if it would be okay to "make cookies for people". She didn't clarify if this was just for the household or for outside people. I apologize if I automatically assumed that that meant "people" outside of the immediate family.

Again, I repeat - & for Mudbugs sake - will enunciate that "I personally do not think it would be a good idea to make cookies or anything else for that matter, that will be consumed for anyone outside of the immediate family residing in the home where the chicken pox victim resides."

I also wouldn't prepare food or baked goods for people outside of a household where measles, mumps, or any other contagious disease was in residence.

I hope I've now made myself perfectly clear.
Old 06-29-2006, 03:36 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

My bad, Breezy. I read it exactly the opposite of how you did and reacted too fast. that's me sometimes - ready, fire, aim.

you're right if it's for someone not in the same house.

accept my apology, please, for ruffling your feathers wongly.
Old 06-29-2006, 03:54 PM   #8
Master Chef

Dear, dear Mudbug - no, it wasn't your bad at all. And it's me who should be apologizing completely for my tone.

Yesterday was a "day from ****" for me - leaking windows, no hay delivery, muddy cranky horses, & a husband who, because of the D.C. flooding, has had a 3-hour-each-way commute since Monday & has been arriving home screaming like a werewolf. By Tuesday night I was ready to hang myself from the shower curtain rod, & I should have just refrained from posting anything anywhere yesterday - lol!!!!

I TOTALLY & COMPLETELY take full responsibility for my snarkiness & apologize for it. Now - where's my glass of wine & my valium - it's starting to rain again here - lol!!!!!
Old 06-29-2006, 04:01 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

If it's raining in Culpeper that means it's coming my way.

We were fortunate in not having to endure any of the misery that so many of our fellow National Capital Region neighbors are experiencing, so I can sympathize, Breezy. I had to make one 8-mile detour on the way home the other night but that was it.

Nevertheless, I am so ready for this vacation to begin. (tipping my glass) here's to a better weekend for you!
Old 06-29-2006, 04:08 PM   #10
Master Chef

Well, for your info & safety's sake, it's been one strong thunderbuster after another here, moving west/northwest to east/northeast. Lots of lightning & strong rain showers. Then sun, then another storm. They started here around 1:30 p.m. & are still going strong, one right after the other. In fact, the sky is black with lightning flashing as I type.

Good luck - maybe it will pass you by. These weather patterns seem to be hit & miss.