Heart friendly recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
I am going to be cooking for my parents from April 16-26. I don't like to use pre-made stuff. I am looking for 5 ingredients or less (not counting S&P, EVVO) recipes and recipes that could generate leftovers for the freezer. Anyone have any they'd like to share?

Any reason why 5 or less? I have a few simple recipes but they all have more than 5 ingredients.

The only reason for the "5 ingredients or less" is that I am hoping I can teach my dad how to make them...I can go with a whole lot more ingredients than 5 <g>.

We're at the point now where he is considering having a house built on one of the lots (he has 23 acres, split into 3 lots) and hire my cousin to live there and take care of them. And she can cook--she's a great cook--we both learned from our grandma--but, I would like him to be "somewhat self-sufficient" and not used packaged stuff.

Last edited:
That's a great idea, CW. And if your father wants to add a pinch or two of something as he gets more comfortable, he can.
I couldn't tell you if I make anything that is heart friendly or not... my guess is I don't.

In general, you can prepare most of your unbreaded fish recipes; lean meat of 4 oz. or less; nothing fried; limited carbohydrates (the equivalent to 2 slices of whole wheat bread per day); low sodium (BUT NOT a no-salt diet!!! Salt is OK in limited amounts. Something dieticians need to get that idea into their thick skulls!); And low fat (e.g. no bacon.)

Read labels and learn what the amounts of each ingredient per serving mean.

The "Mediterranean diet" has been declared, by the American Heart Association, to be Heart Friendly. It's easy, flavorful and there are lots of resources for it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom