"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 02-11-2010, 08:59 PM   #11
I agree. Cream should be added at the end to enrich the dish, not cooked into the dish over time.

tzakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 09:21 PM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef
Originally Posted by Painless Cooking View Post
...Heavy creams are very temperamental when combined with heat. I would never boil creams...

How do you make Alfredo sauce without cooking the cream?

For that matter, how do you reduce any cream based sauce if you don't subject it to heat?

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:05 PM   #13
Head Chef
I make heavy cream sauces with some regularity. I start by heating the cream, then add other ingredients. I have never had a problem with cream developing and off taste, or breaking. I would suspect the brown residue on the bottom. I stir well and often, and use a very heavy copper pan, which would act as a diffuser. I would be curious as to how you would add the cream last to a sauce. Say a sauce using cream, reggiano cheese, herbs, mushrooms.
Bigjim68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 07:09 PM   #14
Assistant Cook
It is interesting to see polar opposite opinions about whether it is ok to boil cream or not. I've worked in French restaurants and I've boiled cream literally dozens of times. you have to watch it though because it boils over easily, but it absolutely does not "sour" or "break" or anything else.
chefmagnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 08:25 PM   #15
The only time I've had something "break" is adding cream to a broth or other liquid.

Cream sauce shouldn't break.
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 11:25 PM   #16
Flour Child
I know my culinary skills are not up to par with most of the DC members here but what about substituting light cream or half-n-half?

I never use heavy cream unless I think a recipe just wouldn't survive without it...and in those cases I usually opt not to make it at all. I know it loses it's richness a bit but I even use skim milk in some recipes and can get away with little change (i hear some shuddering out there lol). It's easier on the waistline too.

With that being said, I serve cold sliced cucumbers in unwhipped whipping cream with vinegar and sweetener...fattening but just can't alter this old family heirloom side dish. Some sins we just have to embrace .

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 11:34 PM   #17
Ogress Supreme
Site Administrator
Originally Posted by mollyanne View Post
It's easier on the waistline too..
What's a waistline?

I do the same Mollyanne, with the exception of skim milk, the thinnest milk here is 2%.
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 02:30 PM   #18
Master Chef
Cream consists of milkfat and some milk solids. The milkfat is a fat, not a protien. None the less, cream contains cassein, a protien found in milk. This can cause the cream to break if heated too much, or combined with an acidic ingredient. But just as milk can be combined with acidic cheese, and heated and stirred to form a homogeneous sauce, without breaking, so to can the heavy cream. Heating it won't cause it to sour. But it can cause it to break if not done properly. Just as in milk, the protiens found in cream will clump together (break). Please see the link: Cooking Tips: Cream

As for your your dish developing an off taste, there are sugars in cream as well. The sugars and protiens can and will stick to the bottom of the pan and scorch. This will give you an off flavor. Gently heating you dish will make it pleasantly hot to eat, without ruining the flavor.

My recommendation, the microwave is your freind. If you don't want to use a microwave, then heat over low heat, stirring frequently, or heat in a double boiler, as was suggested previously in this thread.

Also remember that herbs and spices will continue to give out their flavors as time continues. The flavors also become better dispersed within the dish. This could also be a factor in the final flavor of you dish.

Hope these ideas help.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 08:10 PM   #19
Senior Cook
Send a message via Skype™ to zfranca
For cream based sauces it is best to use a heavy bottom saucepan to avoid scorching, (this will cause an off flavor) and after it comes to boil, simmer it just enough until you achieve the consistency you want otherwise your cream will disappear very fast.

We are all angels with one wing. Only together we can fly.
zfranca is offline   Reply With Quote