"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-11-2010, 09:19 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Heavy Cream: HELP!

Hello. I'm a 24-year-old short-order cook, who will be attending culinary school this summer. I absolutely love cooking. It is a passion of mine. And what's more - I'm good at it. Real good. And the reason for this is because I never let someone try a recipe of mine until I have cooked it, tried it, and recreated it at least two or three times. LOL. But one recipe in particular I am working on, and one that I think is exceptionally good, is my Potato & Prosciutto Soup recipe.

But I'm having problems. I boiled the vegetables, prosciutto, and spices in a good stock, making sure the potatoes were just the right texture. Once done, I added the heavy cream and waited until it was hot, then tried the soup. It was exceptional. So I thought I'd let it cook a bit longer, in order to keep it warm for my wife. But when I tasted it again, it had a slight tang of an aftertaste, which isn't disgusting or bad, but a bit annoying. It did not have that tang when I tried it the first time, so I'm thinking I overcooked the heavy cream.

Is that possible? Are you not supposed to boil heavy cream? I have Googled it, and some say you can, and other's say not to. I'm just really annoyed that my soup tasted great, then, after cooking for awhile longer, changed in flavor. And I know it was the heavy cream that did it, because I made a mushroom sauce for chicken this evening, and it was great, until I let it cook a bit longer, then the tang aftertaste, which is starting to haunt me, showed its crude face again.

Please help! Am I cooking the heavy cream too much?

Old 01-11-2010, 09:34 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Cream breaks (separates) when brought to a boil. My experience with adding it to chowders and sauces, is to add it as the last ingredient, and to not heat it to a boil, but only a small simmer for a very short time - just to heat it through.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:40 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

You shouldn't have a problem with heavy cream's breaking by boiling. That's how you make cream sauces. Boiling to reduce the volume and thicken the sauce.

I have never experienced a change in flavor from cooking cream soups or sauces. Depending on the other vegetables in the soup, one of them may be the issue.

Try bringing some cream to a boil on its own and test to see if there is a change in the flavor.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:10 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Try a heat difuser ar double boiler.You can heat it to a boil without the scorching effects.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:32 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to danpeikes
are sure nothing caught(AKA burned) on the bottem of the pot?
danpeikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:53 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by danpeikes View Post
are sure nothing caught(AKA burned) on the bottem of the pot?
There was some brown residue on the bottom of the pot when I transferred the leftovers to a refrigerator dish. I think I may try boiling the heavy cream by itself, like a member suggested, and see what happens.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:54 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanna be View Post
Try a heat difuser ar double boiler.You can heat it to a boil without the scorching effects.
That's a good idea, too.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:04 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reduction13 View Post
Hello. I'm a 24-year-old short-order cook, who will be attending culinary school this summer. I absolutely love cooking. It is a passion of mine. And what's more - I'm good at it. Real good. And the reason for this is because I never let someone try a recipe of mine until I have cooked it, tried it, and recreated it at least two or three times. LOL. But one recipe in particular I am working on, and one that I think is exceptionally good, is my Potato & Prosciutto Soup recipe.

But I'm having problems. I boiled the vegetables, prosciutto, and spices in a good stock, making sure the potatoes were just the right texture. Once done, I added the heavy cream and waited until it was hot, then tried the soup. It was exceptional. So I thought I'd let it cook a bit longer, in order to keep it warm for my wife. But when I tasted it again, it had a slight tang of an aftertaste, which isn't disgusting or bad, but a bit annoying. It did not have that tang when I tried it the first time, so I'm thinking I overcooked the heavy cream.

Is that possible? Are you not supposed to boil heavy cream? I have Googled it, and some say you can, and other's say not to. I'm just really annoyed that my soup tasted great, then, after cooking for awhile longer, changed in flavor. And I know it was the heavy cream that did it, because I made a mushroom sauce for chicken this evening, and it was great, until I let it cook a bit longer, then the tang aftertaste, which is starting to haunt me, showed its crude face again.

Please help! Am I cooking the heavy cream too much?
You broke the cream...slow simmer
Old 02-02-2010, 09:37 AM   #9
Assistant Cook

Dear Reduction 13,

I did my training in a French Restaurant. French food uses no milk only heavy creams. Heavy creams are very temperamental when combined with heat. I would never boil creams. In your case with your recipe you could divide it up in smaller quantities after cooking the basic recipe. Add the cream last as you need it. Heat only to hot. You most probably soured your cream.

Hope this helps and Good Luck in School!
Old 02-02-2010, 04:23 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Cream breaks then use double boilers or heat diffusers, for sure this will be effective