"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-13-2005, 11:32 AM   #11
Executive Chef

I rarely use the stuff except as a seasoning sauce in meatloaf, baked beans, etc. I also like the Ketchup with attitude: Fish Stick's best Friend etc. So as I use it infrequently, mine lives in the fridge.

Old 10-13-2005, 12:20 PM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiceUmUp
Why don't people understand the differance between a requirement and a recomendation?

Ketchup does not REQUIRE refrigeration. It is recomended for optimum taste. Why is that so hard to grasp? I understood it from the first response.
It's not a lack of understanding word definitions. It's the manufacturer's two-faced approach. They claim thier product will taste better if refrigerated but don't recommend or require refrigeration on the bottle. Doing so on the website is worthless to the majority of consumers. The product package is where you look for storage instructions.

Consider that thousands of restaurants across the country leave Heinz ketchup bottles on every table. What kind of an uproar would occur if Heinz started printing, "Refrigerate After Opening" on all their bottles? All those thousands of restaurants would switch brands.

Old 10-13-2005, 01:01 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to SpiceUmUp
"refrigerate after opening" is intended to keep consumers safe based on the likelyhood of the product spoiling. It is a requirement for products that WILL spoil if left unrefrigerated.

Does DelMonte have refrigerate after opening? Does the store brand? In resturants, where the turnover of the ketchup on the table is FAST, it would likely not matter what was on the lable.

We are you assuming there is something duplicitous about the information you were given?
Old 10-13-2005, 01:25 PM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiceUmUp
...We are you assuming there is something duplicitous about the information you were given?
Why does Heinz recommend refrigeration but not put it on the bottle? Isn't it in their best interests that their product taste its best to the last drop? Does the consumer consider the need to refrigerate a negative for this product? Half the responses to this thread indicate that they refrigerate ketchup.

To answer your question, I'm naturally cynical. Sometimes that's good and sometimes it isn't. So when I evaluate the information in front of me, I can see the benefits of Heinz' "mulit-faceted product storage options"

Why don't you see this as a possibility?
Old 10-13-2005, 03:38 PM   #15
Sous Chef

Their response didn't seem to me as though they were being two-faced. I'm sure a lot of products would last a bit longer if refrigerated, but it's not something that is necessary to keep them from spoiling if used in a fair amount of time.

BC
Old 10-14-2005, 08:49 AM   #16
Master Chef

Here's the thing...the catsup doesn't spoil, as such, but it can eventually get mold on top, and refrigeration retards the growth of mold. The catsup sitting out in diners gets used up before that can happen.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:58 AM   #17
Executive Chef

I don't buy Heinz, but I do store the catsup in the fridge. It takes us forever to use a bottle unless gd and gs are here. I made meatloaf yesterday and gs ate about 1/4 cup on his. I suppose he does consider it a veggie. He ate his other veggies very well and finished off his meal with 2 pieces of pumpkin pie. He has started the walk/run program at his school and has really taken it seriously - running lots on his own. He is only 6 years old and has quite a few miles to his credit.