"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-26-2005, 10:54 PM   #1
Certified Pretend Chef

Heinz Ketchup

A few days ago we got into a discussion about whether or not ketchup required refrigeration. Here's that thread.

Acidity

I looked at the Heinz website's FAQ section to find this:

...and from the Heinz website...

Should ketchup be refrigerated?
Because it is a very acidic product, ketchup does not spoil easily. Once opened, in order to maintain the product's quality more effectively, we do suggest that ketchup (and any other processed food) be refrigerated after opening because refrigeration retards spoilage.

This seems to settle the question but I was bothered by the fact that the Heinz Ketchup bottle in my cabinet did not call for refrigeration after opening.

So....

I posted a question on their website ask why they recommend refrigeration but don't say so on their bottles.

Their first response:

Dear Andy,

Thank you for visiting our web site.

Because of its natural acidity, Heinz Ketchup is shelf stable. However, its stability after opening can be affected by storage conditions. Therefore, we recommend that ketchup, as with any processed food, be refrigerated after opening. Refrigeration will maintain the best product quality after opening.

Should you have any additional questions, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Heinz Consumer Resource Center

Since this dis not answer the question I asked, I asked it again:

Thank you for your response about ketchup shelf life and stability.

My question was...

Why doesn't the label on the bottle say, "Refrigerate After Opening"?

This is the response I received today:

Dear Andy,

While refrigeration is recommended, it is not necessary because Heinz Ketchup is a shelf-stable product. That's why we don't indicate this on our labels.

Should you have any additional questions, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Heinz Consumer Resource Center

I guess this qualifies as corporate doublespeak.

Things that make you go, "Hmmmmm."

Old 09-26-2005, 11:01 PM   #2
Assistant Cook

Interesting, Maybe its really not on the bottle so when your at a resteraunt or dinner and you have catsup on the table at room temp you cant complain because the bottle never said it was to be refrigerated? Dunno?
But some do leave it out and refresh it by topping it of with other partial bottles.

Earlzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 11:41 PM   #3
Head Chef

very interesting Andy!
Old 09-27-2005, 10:10 AM   #4
Master Chef

My grandma didn't refrigerate catsup or mustard. The catsup doesn't spoil, but it does turn darker in color after a while.

So, I wouldn't worry about the catsup sitting on the counter in the diner...it probably gets used up quickly. And if you're going camping or on a picnic, no need to put it in the cooler. But to store for a while, I suggest the fridge.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:39 AM   #5
Master Chef

Andy....

Those poor people get paid to speak and say nothing to you!

I left a bottle of ketchup on the counter open when I went on vaca for 9 days ... It was sorta gross when I returned. I tossed it.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:05 PM   #6
Head Chef

When I grew up we never refrigerated ketchup, just left it in the pantry with no ill effects.

Then when we got married we moved to Miami where anything left out with any odor at all would attract ants.

So we got used to putting almost any food food, including cookies, bread, ketchup, you name it in the fridge and still do so today. But now we are living far north of Miami and although we still do keep the ketchup in the fridge, don't worry if we leave it out.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:26 AM   #7
Assistant Cook

When workng as a waiter as a young buck! When refilling the Ketchup bottles some did smell stonger than others! I think it will spoil if left out long enough or exposed to the open air for a long enough period! A good example is Constance's scenario! I think if the lid stays on it even after opening it, it will stay fresher longer than if left exposed!

Robi
Old 10-13-2005, 09:38 AM   #8
Head Chef

I like cold ketchup so always keep it in the frig.Same with mustard.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:41 AM   #9
Assistant Cook

Thats funny I am the exzact opposite! I dont like to put cold ketchup on a hot burger! Probably why I dont like lettuce and tomatoes on my burger it's that cold hot thing!

HeyRobi
Old 10-13-2005, 10:58 AM   #10
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to SpiceUmUp
Why don't people understand the differance between a requirement and a recomendation?

Ketchup does not REQUIRE refrigeration. It is recomended for optimum taste. Why is that so hard to grasp? I understood it from the first response.