Hello guys and gals can u plz help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

manamana

Assistant Cook
:blink: i have a beautiful granddaughter, she has excema petty bad and me and my wife (Vivee) are looking afta her..(even longer story)....:( we are looking for interesting recipes to change the Mundane dishes that we are constantly making for her potato's, pumpkin,veges, mince,chicken. we probably have the rite ingredients but lack the know how to make it more appealing...any suggestions would be appreciated:)

manamana | new zealand.

You need to give us a little more information ... how old is she and what foods are restricted from her diet (for excema that is often dairy, although goat's milk is often okay, and wheat)?

you are right Michael, she is 11 months old, we have been told not to give her any wheat and dairy products, she has rice milk we have seen that she itches less we are currently introducing flax seed oil into her diet and it seems to do an awesome job so far in these early stages, we just feel that we could offer her a better or more varied diet...thanx

manamana | new zealand.:-p

Well, she doesn't need added sugar or salt (she doesn't have adult taste buds yet). Yes, it will taste bland to you .. she won't know the difference. Bascially, steamed and pureed is better than boiled and pureed. There are a lot of sites with more information than I can try to "cut-and-paste" here.

One site that looks good is: http://www.recipegoldmine.com/baby/baby.html

A Google search for homemade babyfood: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=homemade+baby+food

I used to be into the homemade baby food thing ... but my "baby boy" turned 28 yesterday ... so it's been a while.

I know nothing about feeding young children or excema restrictions, so I don't know if this would be any good, but here's a recipe I came up with for a lactose intolerant friend of mine and they loved it:

Horchata RIce cream
Horchata is a traditional mexican rice milk drink that is often served as a dessert. I just took a recipe for it and stuck it in my ice cream make and it came out great!

1 cup uncooked white rice
1/2 to 1 tsp. almond extract OR 1/4 cup ground, blanched almonds OR 1/4 cup almond meal
1-2 sticks cinnamon or 1/2 tsp powdered cinnamon
6 cups water, divided
1/2 teaspoon vanilla (or more, to taste)
1/2 cup sugar

In a blender, grind up the rice for 2 minutes, until it resembles coarse meal. Transfer rice to a bowl and add almonds (or extract, if using) cinnamon and water. Stir well. Cover loosely and let the mixture
sit overnight (min. of 6 hours).

Transfer the mixture to the blender in 2 batches and puree until the grittiness disappears, about 2-3 minutes per batch. Strain into a pitcher through several layers of dampened cheesecloth (or coffee filter). Don't skimp on either of these steps or the drink will come out tasting like chalk. Mix in the sugar and vanilla and stir till the sugar dissolves.

Pour into an ice cream maker and process according to manufacturer's directions. Transfer to freezer until it sets.

:) Maybe soy milk would be good you can get many soy based products,soy milk comes in chocolate and vanilla flavors.

Soy products can sometimes be a source of allergies and eczema and subsequently asthma - have you been in touch with a natural health practitioner and/ or a naturopath? they can really help!

How funny! In spite of having sibs with eczema, and getting a pretty good case of it myself recently, I've never heard of the dietary connection. Probably because she is so young, and yes, I know there are lots of different types. At any rate, for whatever it is worth, instant mashed potato flakes/buds make a good replacement for thickening and/or coating foods when you're avoiding flour. Kids tend to like crispy finger foods, and if potatoes are allowed, you can get that effect by 'breading' chicken breast strips with the instant potatoes, placing on a greased pan, and baking at high heat (I think I do 450 degrees for 20 min). Make or buy an approved dipping sauce and you've got fun finger food. At 11 mos old, chances are her diet wouldn't be all that varied anyway, so at least you aren't dealing with changing entrenched dietary preferences.

Back
Top Bottom